Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sneachta!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Maybe people could post if they know of any shops etc open this morning. A fair few would've got caught on the hop without supplies and a lot of businesses will close due to the red alert being in affect, even if local conditions are ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Discodog wrote: »
    The Red was issued so late, 11pm, that parents won't have had any opportunity to make arrangements. A lot of people won't know that the buses aren't running.

I wonder if the lack of gritting is being made worse by the need to prioritise the motorways. Did the Council get extra vehicles ?

Bus eireann Twitter had it up at around 1am, I'm sure the radio stations would have had it this morning. No excuse for users not to inform themselves,I did.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

Dunnes say they are all closed per their FB page, any big shops open around town supermarkets

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Got into work no bother. City streets are clear and quiet.
    Apparently it will be bad this afternoon/evening so I will duck out early.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭MikeSD

Is Corbett Court Shopping Centre closed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

No postal delivery today, probably not till Monday,but definitely none today

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

City shut down with 1cm of snow on the ground. Bad conditions not due here until 8pm onwards.

doylefe wrote: »
    City shut down with 1cm of snow on the ground. Bad conditions not due here until 8pm onwards.

Having just walked to the shop I can tell you there's more than a cm on the ground, an inch or more in parts. Roads not treated are like glass.

Joyce's are open for anyone in need of a sliced pan.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Went to work yesterday evening, knew a red warning was close to inevitable but I didn't think I'd come damn close to stranded, not a taxi company answering the phone earlier. Wow.

Shut down because roads are like glass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,898 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Tesco headford Road open until 2

Shut down because roads are like glass.

No they are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Joyce's, Ballybane and McGreals in Ballybrit open ( till lunchtime at most I'd say)

No they are not.

Tell that to the cars I saw spinning down the road earlier. I assume they were doing it for giggles.

Can we drop the roads like glass now?
    One street can be slippery but another may not be, and this to and fro is just silly.
    Or one car is on summer tyres and the next on winter tyres.

Everyone, just be careful and drive to the conditions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

Is it slippy around Westside? I really need to go to Aldi or I'll just be on plain pasta all weekend, but I'll need to walk both ways.. is it worth the risk?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Is it slippy around Westside? I really need to go to Aldi or I'll just be on plain pasta all weekend, but I'll need to walk both ways.. is it worth the risk?

Just walked the dogs. No problem. I was wearing walking shoes with a decent grip. But the snow is mostly powdery, so good to walk on. Avoid metal manhole covers etc and you should be fine. Aldi car park is normally well gritted.

The footpaths are probably covered in snow still but wear some good grip boots and be careful and you'll be fine.
    People in Scandinavia and US gets this weather every year and can handle life just fine, we can too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,411 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

FYI, I was in Aldi Westside last night and they had very, very little bread, meat, porridge, fruit & veg on the shelves. No shortage of sweets, crisps and chocolate though :pac:

All weekend? The warning is only in place until tomorrow afternoon.

• Advertisement

Joyce's Ballybane have next to no essentials left either e.g. Bread, milk, meat, potatoes etc.

biko wrote: »
    Can we drop the roads like glass now?
    One street can be slippery but another may not be, and this to and fro is just silly.
    Or one car is on summer tyres and the next on winter tyres.

Everyone, just be careful and drive to the conditions.

If some roads are like glass then people should not be traveling, saying other countries cope is all well and good but it's like telling someone in Sweden that it's -80 in the Antarctic so if it hits -30 just get on with it.

There is a red warning issued and its better that people stay safe at home than risk going out. But hey, what does it matter if someone goes out and wraps their car around a tree killing themselves as the experts in here seem to think that it's fine out there and other countries cope.

Well said. I must have missed Biko taking over the forecasts from MT.

Definitely not like glass :pac:

Went to XL Laurel Park instead, surprised it was open (meant to be all day in case anyone's stuck).. glad I didn't have to go to Aldi some of the footpaths are lethal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

Just been to Aldi westside, no milk. Milk in Joyces knocknacarra, the cues are crazy, people parking out on the main road as well. Will probably be fine again tomorrow....

UsBus wrote: »
    Just been to Aldi westside, no milk. Milk in Joyces knocknacarra, the cues are crazy, people parking out on the main road as well. Will probably be fine again tomorrow....

There was plenty in XL if you're willing to drive there.

I probably sound like I work for XL :pac:

If some roads are like glass then people should not be traveling, saying other countries cope is all well and good but it's like telling someone in Sweden that it's -80 in the Antarctic so if it hits -30 just get on with it.

There is a red warning issued and its better that people stay safe at home than risk going out. But hey, what does it matter if someone goes out and wraps their car around a tree killing themselves as the experts in here seem to think that it's fine out there and other countries cope.
    I referred that to the person walking to the shops.
    In reference to the roads like glass I said to drive to the conditions.

But if you think it's not safe to be outside, then don't. And definitely don't drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

The roads are definitely not like glass and the footpaths aren't slippy. The snow is still powder and hasn't been packed + frozen (yet). Just walked down to Joyce's in knocknacarra and I've never seen anything like it. Car park overflowing onto the streets, was like everybody was in the shop (lots of bored kids getting a hot lunch too). People were taking milk (myself included) off the trolley before it could be stocked on the shelves. All bread gone save 1 gluten-free organic loaf that was hard as stone. Queue stretched from register down the aisle to the back of the shop. Amazing. That said everyone was good natured about it and generally smiling and having a laugh at the outrageousness of it all.

Etoip1Jm.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jk23

The roads are definitely not like glass and the footpaths aren't slippy. The snow is still powder and hasn't been packed + frozen (yet). Just walked down to Joyce's in knocknacarra and I've never seen anything like it. Car park overflowing onto the streets, was like everybody was in the shop (lots of bored kids getting a hot lunch too). People were taking milk (myself included) off the trolley before it could be stocked on the shelves. All bread gone save 1 gluten-free organic loaf that was hard as stone. Queue stretched from register down the aisle to the back of the shop. Amazing. That said everyone was good natured about it and generally smiling and having a laugh at the outrageousness of it all.

Etoip1Jm.jpg

Wow :O was the Asian food stall open in the shop?

Advertisement