Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sneachta!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

i have no idea when that runs. I never seem to catch it open and I've been looking since someone here mentioned it's done by paparich. The deli and pizza counter were thronged tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jk23

i have no idea when that runs. I never seem to catch it open and I've been looking since someone here mentioned it's done by paparich. The deli and pizza counter were thronged tho.

I go there most week evenings,opens from 12/1 to 8 I think. Food is delicious there always

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Lots of people around Salthill walking and kids playing in the snow.
    Kinda cold but not bad if you cover up properly.

Heard there will be more snow or even a blizzard later, we'll see.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

biko wrote: »
    Lots of people around Salthill walking and kids playing in the snow.
    Kinda cold but not bad if you cover up properly.

Heard there will be more snow or even a blizzard later, we'll see.

Ya you can't expect every moron to follow the government/emergency service/met eireann/council warnings.

I suppose some people just like living on the edge.

• Advertisement

Don't forget checking in with elderly relatives/neighbours to make sure they have enough food and turf to last them a few days.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

Ya you can't expect every moron to follow the government/emergency service/met eireann/council warnings.

Morons? a bit harsh.

Another definition of a moron might be someone incapable of looking out the window and making a judgement for themselves whether or not they want to venture out, but instead blindly follow general warnings which for the most part are targeted at Leinster and Munster, and for later in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I'm now in a warm pub, three minutes walk from my house. In a while I'll have to take a walk home. Somehow I think that the risk of me getting lost in a blizzard is pretty minimal.

I'd guess that a lot of the people walking in Salthill won't be much further from home than I am.

doylefe wrote: »
    Morons? a bit harsh.

Another definition of a moron might be someone incapable of looking out the window and making a judgement for themselves whether or not they want to venture out, but instead blindly follow general warnings which for the most part are targeted at Leinster and Munster, and for later in the day.

No, you've mistaken moron for something else there. Sure you've covered all Galways roads and know there's no bad conditions so it's grand for everyone to head out now anyway.

I'm now in a warm pub, three minutes walk from my house. In a while I'll have to take a walk home. Somehow I think that the risk of me getting lost in a blizzard is pretty minimal.

I'd guess that a lot of the people walking in Salthill won't be much further from home than I am.

Did anyone suggest there was a risk of a being caught in a blizzard in the middle of town?

As for people in Salthill, I'm sure many will have driven, Irish people like their cars.

• Advertisement

People looked out the window during Ophelia and still asked staff in to work resulting in one poor man dying after being sent home. If Biko or others falls or is involved in an accident as a result of the weather it's someone from the emergency services who may have to risk their life in order to make sure he's OK. It's one day, what harm to stay at home but I guess that MET eireann know less than the trained eyes of weather experts like Biko and Bumble, true rebels.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

We live in hope...

......that you get home safely.

65915684.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

Sure you've covered all Galways roads and know there's no bad conditions so it's grand for everyone to head out now anyway.

That's a pretty accurate statement. Think I'll go for a leisurely drive to check out the scenery.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,510 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Jaysus, it's all getting rather heated here.

Maybe it's for the best considering the temperatures outside.

Personally - and I proclaim to be no sort of expert on anything other than my own opinions and even then I'm not always sure - it doesn't really feel that bad in the city.

Fair enough, it's cold and when the wind picks up and you get a faceful of the freezing white stuff it's hard not to feel a bit miffed at the elements, but, in general, it's certainly not life threatening to take a appropriately attired walk about the place. I certainly didn't feel like my life was in imminent danger. Dare I say it, but I actually enjoyed myself.

But that was just my experience and of course people should use their common sense, but some people should lighten up and ease back on the histronics.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Arghus wrote: »
    Jaysus, it's all getting rather heated here.

Maybe it's for the best considering the temperatures outside.

Personally - and I proclaim to be no sort of expert on anything other than my own opinions and even then I'm not always sure - it doesn't really feel that bad in the city.

Fair enough, it's cold and when the wind picks up and you get a faceful of the freezing white stuff it's hard not to feel a bit miffed at the elements, but, in general, it's certainly not life threatening to take a appropriately attired walk about the place. I certainly didn't feel like my life was in imminent danger. Dare I say it, but I actually enjoyed myself.

But that was just my experience and of course people should use their common sense, but some people should lighten up and ease back on the histronics.

So far I am enjoying it, too. But then I am used to "proper" winters. However, we don't know what's yet to come. Will be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Problem with these weather warnings are, as they are aimed county by county or province by province , naturally one part of the county might have it bad while the other gets away Scott free. Ballinasloe is under thick snow so a no travel warning for county Galway is justified in this instance, yet naturally there is a heat of sorts on the Atlantic so right up on the coast would have it less fierce. Trying to predict exactly where is impossible, letting you decide for yourselves is short sighted. Circumstances change and you could get stranded or worse put others in danger trying to rescue you.

Cabin fever is setting in early lads. Time for a hot cocoa or possibly some day-drinking to take the edge off.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,898 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I drove from the West to Mervue at 9am. No traffic & the roads were fine. I drove home just now. Even less traffic & the roads were perfect - just wet. Two fast easy journeys - more Red warnings please :pac:

flazio wrote: »
    Problem with these weather warnings are, as they are aimed county by county or province by province , naturally one part of the county might have it bad while the other gets away Scott free. Ballinasloe is under thick snow so a no travel warning for county Galway is justified in this instance, yet naturally there is a heat of sorts on the Atlantic so right up on the coast would have it less fierce. Trying to predict exactly where is impossible, letting you decide for yourselves is short sighted. Circumstances change and you could get stranded or worse put others in danger trying to rescue you.

The problem is Streamers. Snow streamers come in lines. Today Galway has been under one & got light snow all day. A few miles north or south had a dry day. But the messages about being indoors by 4 & Varadkar all but saying that the offenders would be shot, are simply over the top.

I wonder what will happen if the storm misses the Northern half of the country ? I guess he will blame ME.

• Advertisement

Discodog wrote: »
    The problem is Streamers. Snow streamers come in lines. Today Galway has been under one & got light snow all day. A few miles north or south had a dry day. But the messages about being indoors by 4 & Varadkar all but saying that the offenders would be shot, are simply over the top.

I wonder what will happen if the storm misses the Northern half of the country ? I guess he will blame ME.

There shouldn't be any need for blame, it was a warning put in place for public safety. Anyone complaining about it should be immediately disregarded.

There shouldn't be any need for blame, it was a warning put in place for public safety. Anyone complaining about it should be immediately disregarded.

An hour after curfew & I can still see my hand :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

There's people praying this will be underwhelming just so they can blame ME or the government and claim (whilst being completely ignorant of the reality) that they always knew it wouldn't be bad...

It's not due to start till later, the 4pm thing was so that people would have time to get home safely. Expect to see the storm later on

RDuai11m.png

This thread used to be fun. I, for one, would prefer to see updates from people around town rather than debate some conspiracy about government response or bemoan the lack of a draconian dystopia where you can impose you're will on people who take to the streets in an act of defiance when really they were probably just walking to the shop to get some milk for their tea.

It's not due to start till later, the 4pm thing was so that people would have time to get home safely. Expect to see the storm later on

I do know this. I went to work because I study the forecast charts. School kids would of been home long ago.

RDuai11m.png

This thread used to be fun. I, for one, would prefer to see updates from people around town rather than debate some conspiracy about government response or bemoan the lack of a draconian dystopia where you can impose you're will on people who take to the streets in an act of defiance when really they were probably just walking to the shop to get some milk for their tea.

A lot were walking earlier because there are no buses

• Registered Users Posts: 23,638 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

CoYojn9WEAAJDJZ.jpg

https://thecladdagh.com/webcam/
    Webcam where one can enjoy watching the blizzard from indoors

• Advertisement

Hirlam - which many consider to be one the most consistent models for this spell of weather is still predicting a "fresh Breeze" & less than a mm of snow per hour for Galway.

http://www.yr.no/place/Ireland/Connacht/Galway/hour_by_hour.html

Advertisement