Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC build for PUBG

Options
  • 11-02-2018 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭

I should start here by saying that I know absolutely nothing about computers and all the related accessories.

Coming from console, my sole aim in building a PC is for gaming, or more accurately just for PUBG. I'm sick of the shít FPS and using a controller which, IMO, is totally unsuited to the game.

Can anyone help with starting me off on the right path, as to where to start?

1. What is your budget? €750-€1000

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? PUBG

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? No

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [Hard drive/DVD Drive/Case/PSU/etc.] No

5. Do you need a monitor? Yes

5a. If yes, what size do you need. Not sure?

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? N/A

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? N/A

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? Haven't a clue what that is.

8. How can you pay? Credit/debit card

9. When are you purchasing? ASAP

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,241 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I'm sure someone will be along with a better option as this is kind of scraping the barrel a bit but it should run PUBG better than Xbox anyway:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i3-8350K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor (£141.59 @ Aria PC)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£25.05 @ Ebuyer)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte - Z370P D3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (£90.98 @ Ebuyer)
    Memory: Crucial - 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory (£60.17 @ Amazon UK)
    Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£81.54 @ Novatech)
    Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB GAMING Video Card (£285.60 @ Novatech)
    Case: Phanteks - Eclipse P300 Tempered Glass ATX Mid Tower Case (£47.96 @ Ebuyer)
    Power Supply: Corsair - CSM 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (£76.55 @ Box Limited)
    Monitor: BenQ - GL2580H 24.5" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor (£131.49 @ Scan.co.uk)
    Total: £940.93
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-02-11 18:49 GMT+0000

Didn't include keyboard and mouse btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭SSr0

Really appreciate that, thanks!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

That would run most games at 1080p ultra 60fps no problem, and PUBG would run at 1080p high settings 60fps. That's night and day compared to the Xbox One version, which has a dreadful framerate (capped at 30 but often drops to 15-20fps) and horrible pop-in/texture issues, and looks like low settings on PC.

The Xbox One X version is a hell of a lot better visually but still way short of what the above PC can do in terms of framerate.

Ways to cut that cost down - switch from i3-8350K to i3-8100. Not much difference, won't make any difference to PUBG performance and costs about €70 less.

Cut out the CPU cooler, the i3 comes with one and it's fine. A 550W gold PSU is nice but unnecessary, something like this is equally fine.

Everything else I would probably keep - it's worth having a nice case, the SSD, etc, but the above changes would save you about €130 and you wouldn't lose any performance in PUBG (or any other game, really, on a standard 60hz monitor....you might get a slightly lower framerate eg 80fps on i3-8100 v 88fps with 8350K, but on a 60hz monitor you see no benefit past 60fps so it's moot).

One of the problems at the moment is that AMD Ryzen processors are not great for PUBG but are good value, and while the i3-8100 is superb value @ £100, at the moment there are only €100+ motherboards available which somewhat negates the bargain aspect.

If you wait a little longer 2 things will happen - a) AMD is releasing improved Ryzen 2 CPUs shortly and b) Intel will release €50 motherboards for Coffee Lake CPUs.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Hyper 212 has been superseded by newer coolers like Arctic Freezer i32 & Raijintek Themis in its price bracket.
    Both of those cost the same but outperform it in noise & thermals.

Based on Mickeroo's build suggestion:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i5-8400 2.8GHz 6-Core Processor (£136.09 @ Amazon UK)
    CPU Cooler: ARCTIC - Freezer i32 CPU Cooler (£24.82 @ Novatech)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte - Z370P D3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (£91.25 @ Aria PC)
    Memory: Crucial - 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory (£60.17 @ Amazon UK)
    Storage: Crucial - MX300 275GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£72.77 @ Amazon UK)
    Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB GAMING Video Card (£285.60 @ Novatech)
    Case: Cooler Master - MasterCase 5 ATX Mid Tower Case (£67.33 @ Amazon UK)
    Power Supply: Corsair - CSM 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (£65.47 @ Amazon UK)
    Monitor: BenQ - GL2580H 24.5" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor (£131.49 @ Scan.co.uk)
    Total: £934.99
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-02-12 10:24 GMT+0000

*this assumes the GTX 1060 6Gb is in-stock

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭SSr0

Thanks lads!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

You can do better than a 60Hz monitor in that price range as well. You won't be able to make use of the FreeSync with an Nvidia card but it's still an extra 15fps.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B015510R4M/?tag=pcp0f-21

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

You may need a copy of windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Lord Nikon wrote: »
    You may need a copy of windows.

Which is free.

Which is free.

last time I check, Windows wasn't giving out free copies of their operating system, unless it was with a purchased pre-built.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Lord Nikon wrote: »
    last time I check, Windows wasn't giving out free copies of their operating system, unless it was with a purchased pre-built.

Well they stopped forcing people to have a licence to use it, which is the same thing. You can use windows 10 eternally without ever activating it

Well they stopped forcing people to have a licence to use it, which is the same thing. You can use windows 10 eternally without ever activating it

Yep, I've never paid for a copy of Win10 (and never will), the watermark is small and you wouldn't even notice. Small price to pay for a fully functioning and supported install.

I suppose from MS point of view they'd rather people using their OS then using a pirate version, or another OS altogether.

I had a fully functioning Win7 64bit version, until I went to check for updates one day, and was prompted by Microsoft to activate it, which it hadn't been, and it was a pirated copy which my friend installed. Anyway, picked up a Win10 legit key online for €10, and happy with that. Only wish I never had to upgrade from Win7, most stable version of Windows I've ever used.

Those €10 keys are not really legit, but you can get them for Win7 for the same money as well. The difference is Win7 cannot be installed at all without a license key of some sort unless it's a pirate copy - and if the key is invalidated, it does things like remove your desktop wallpaper to regularly remind you that it's not activated.

Win10 in comparison installs without a key, doesn't harass you, and doesn't mess with your install other than to have a tiny watermark in the bottom right corner of the screen. I think Win10 is excellent personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,825 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

For the sake of a tenner on ebay it's worth it to get rid of that watermark :)

I've used those keys multiple times for several years now and have never had an issue with any of them.

Advertisement