Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contracted work period ended, no new written contract, what to do?

Options
  • 11-02-2018 8:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Long time poster but going anonymous for this...

Tomorrow I will have completed my 6 month fixed term contract at a firm I am working for. I have been verbally told by my team lead in the new year that my contract will be renewed for an additional 6 months but I have not yet received a new contract to sign to make this official.

Anyone know what my rights are in this case, if I have no new written contract can I basically be let go any time they wish with zero notice? From an employment point of view am I still officially employed, insured to be on the premises or what? My original contract only mentions working for the specific 6 month period, there's no mention of any reason for it being extended or it being a rolling contract. I am working as a PAYE employee payed directly through the companies payroll.

I have no doubts about salary getting payed as the company is large but I am worried about this amateur carry on with the contract.

Any information from anyone who has experienced similar would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

If you have been told to turn up for work, then turn up for work. If they no longer wanted you, they would have told you so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Even if you had a contract of indefinite duration (permanent), you can be let go during the first 12 months. If you have been told verbally that your contract is being extended, then you turn up for work until you are told otherwise, the lack of a new contract may just be an oversight and may be given to you in the coming days/weeks. You can request it from HR so that you know exactly when you will be finished. If you have a specific task or are working on a specific project, they may give you a contract for the period they estimate it will take you to complete that project.

But to answer your question, within the first 12 months of employment, you can be let go with statutory notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭never_mind

I would see that as an oversight completely... people being too busy with their own work to look at a contract being issued.

Maybe mention it in brief to your line manager - maybe say you need it for a loan for a new car or something along those lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

I would have a look at this

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/contracts_of_employment/fixed_term_or_specified_purpose_contracts.html

Since you have completed one contract within a first 12 month period they are justified to let your original employment contract 'roll-on' after expiring until they supply you with a renewal/new contract. If they did tell you that they are letting you go right now you would be entitled to the notice period as outlined in your original contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭wush06

Got a 6 month contract 23 years ago and I’m still waiting for them to come back to me with a full time contract. I check my bank account every Thursday and so long as that’s ok I don’t worry too much about it now.
    True story

• Advertisement
Advertisement