Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Amateur wrestling

• 11-02-2018 10:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭

Anybody know of anywhere for kids to do this in north Dublin?

The young lad is a bit of a power ranger wannabe and I think this will give him skills he can use in later life if he ever needs to neutralise someone without accidentally killing them.
    Sadly he won’t join the football like I want him to.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Get him into BJJ instead, imo. He'll get to wear the gi, have a belt and learn a martial art. I think when I was younger the power rangers were ninjas or something.

This is very similar and you'll see his confidence and character grow immeasurably as a result of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Ajsoprano

I’ve thought it out and would think I’d rather the wrestling at his age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭youllneverknow

Ajsoprano wrote: »
    Anybody know of anywhere for kids to do this in north Dublin?

The young lad is a bit of a power ranger wannabe and I think this will give him skills he can use in later life if he ever needs to neutralise someone without accidentally killing them.
    Sadly he won’t join the football like I want him to.

Hey,
    Check out Kyuzo Gym based in Finglas. They run both BJJ and amateur wrestling for children as young as 4. The coaches are qualified under Irish Amateur Wrestling Association and are also Garda vetted.

http://kyuzogym.com/

Excellent so it is done in Ireland. I was hopin nearer to Beaumont though so I’ll hold out for more suggestions.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Google the IAWA (Irish Amateur Wrestling Association). I think the only IAWA on the north side though is Hercules though (Lurgan Street, D7).

As the lads said, realistically you would have more choice if you put him in a regular brazilian jiu jitsu / submission wrestling club. Far more kids are involved, more competitions happen etc. It's still grappling, I don't know that many kids draw the line and are like "I'd rather be doing strictly olympic wrestling". Maybe unless they're Moldovan or Bulgarian... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭youllneverknow

Google the IAWA (Irish Amateur Wrestling Association). I think the only IAWA on the north side though is Hercules though (Lurgan Street, D7).

As the lads said, realistically you would have more choice if you put him in a regular brazilian jiu jitsu / submission wrestling club. Far more kids are involved, more competitions happen etc. It's still grappling, I don't know that many kids draw the line and are like "I'd rather be doing strictly olympic wrestling". Maybe unless they're Moldovan or Bulgarian... ;)

Nah, Finglas is northside too :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Cool, if Kyuzo is an IAWA club now then you should ask them to update the IAWA website, because they're aren't mentioned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,656 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I’ve thought it out and would think I’d rather the wrestling at his age.
    Out of curiosity, why is that?
    Don't get me wrong, it's completely your decision. And you can base it on anything you like. But as somebody who trains in both wrestling and Jiu Jitsu.
    I'd have said the jiu jitsu is the more "power-ranger" like.

Hey,
    Check out Kyuzo Gym based in Finglas. They run both BJJ and amateur wrestling for children as young as 4. The coaches are qualified under Irish Amateur Wrestling Association and are also Garda vetted.

http://kyuzogym.com/
    What does being qualified under IAWA mean? I've always been kinda curious how many people were wrestling in Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

OP where are you first of (roughly, area code?).

And what age is your child?.

Just about any of the wrestling/grappling styles come naturally to children (ie BJJ, wrestling [various styles], Judo etc) ~ its how children naturally play with each other when they're rough housing about.

Finally when you get a few club names and locations go visit them with the kid, usually you'll know whats for you on your first visit (and whats not for you).

And make sure if you're putting your child into a martial arts club that its largely their own choice otherwise you'll spend a lot of time and money bringing an unhappy child to training which they'd rather not be doing, and just because its your choice not theirs ~ I've seen this happen so many times over the years, its not a nice situation for you, the child or the club

OP where are you first of (roughly, area code?).

And what age is your child?.

Just about any of the wrestling/grappling styles come naturally to children (ie BJJ, wrestling [various styles], Judo etc) ~ its how children naturally play with each other when they're rough housing about.

Finally when you get a few club names and locations go visit them with the kid, usually you'll know whats for you on your first visit (and whats not for you).

And make sure if you're putting your child into a martial arts club that its largely their own choice otherwise you'll spend a lot of time and money bringing an unhappy child to training which they'd rather not be doing, and just because its your choice not theirs ~ I've seen this happen so many times over the years, its not a nice situation for you, the child or the club

If it was my choice he’d play soccer. I’m in the artane/Beaumont are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

If it was my choice he’d play soccer. I’m in the artane/Beaumont are.

Artane/Beaumont then I'd look at The Diagokan Judo Club in Donnycarney community centre, John Douglas there has been teaching children for over 50 years, or Portmarnock Judo Club ~ the head coach is Ray Stears, 6th dan Judo black belt and BJJ purple and has a huge childrens class.

Or there's Team Rhino off the Jamestown Road, D11 who has Judo, BJJ and Wrestling.

And forget about your choice, if the child doesn't want soccer so be it.

Advertisement