Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying a property

• 12-02-2018 1:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi. Myself and girlfriend are thinking of buying a home together.

She currently has a two bed apparent and has a mortage of 75k remaining (monthly repayments of 350)brought in 2013
    I have a 3 bed mid terrace house with mortgage of 110k (monthly repayments of 500).brought in 2014
    Our combined earning per year are 95k.

We have combined saving of 55k and are looking at buying a house for 255k. We are giving some serious thought to renting out the two places and proceeding with a 3rd mortage
    We have been told that the two places would rent for around 2 thousand a month. But after taxes and usc we would earn around 1200 per month.

Financially is this a good option or are we being greedy. Back to boom time badies.

Long term with capital gains are we just putting in a lot of work to loose it at the other end.

Any adivse would be welcomed. Thanks for your time.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭OttoPilot

Joe.com wrote: »
    Hi. Myself and girlfriend are thinking of buying a home together.

She currently has a two bed apparent and has a mortage of 75k remaining (monthly repayments of 350)brought in 2013
    I have a 3 bed mid terrace house with mortgage of 110k (monthly repayments of 500).brought in 2014
    Our combined earning per year are 95k.

We have combined saving of 55k and are looking at buying a house for 255k. We are giving some serious thought to renting out the two places and proceeding with a 3rd mortage
    We have been told that the two places would rent for around 2 thousand a month. But after taxes and usc we would earn around 1200 per month.

Financially is this a good option or are we being greedy. Back to boom time badies.

Long term with capital gains are we just putting in a lot of work to loose it at the other end.

Any adivse would be welcomed. Thanks for your time.

You probably need to talk to a professional financial/tax advisor if you're going that route.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 rockingchair1

I agree with comment re professional advisor. Also it may be useful to read the accommodation forum to get views on the reality of being a landlord in the current climate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,551 ✭✭✭jaffa20

I don't think you can deduct the mortgage owed on other properties against the tax from rental income. I read this on boards recently and was shocked myself.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Let my put it to you this way as a result of last recession, Irish people lost more of their personal wealth that citizens of any other EU state. Contrary to what you might thing that hand nothing to do with the bail out, but everything to do with the assets the held - property!

When you invest in property, you break every rule of sound investing:
    - You invest in a high risk asset class
    - You borrow to do so
    - You fail to diversify
    - You invest in an illiquid asset
    - Property should not represent more than about 6% of total assets
    - Total mortgage should not exceed about 2 times your income plus 1/2 your partners income

At this stage you are 100% invested in property and have borrow to do so and now you want to add to that... In which case you are exactly repeating the follies of the past and will be relying on luck rather than sound financial management to get you through.

Advertisement