Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not RAG week

Options
  • 12-02-2018 3:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭

So I see tomorrow being advertised as Mayo Monday by certain pubs.

Are we also having Donegal Spewsday, and Leitrim Wednesday this year?

Is GMIT following the "no-RAG-week" rule?

Enquiring minds and all ....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭ANDREWMUFC

Donegal Tuesday and twisted Thursday

Sure down Woodquay will be like a zombie apocalypse this week, students falling around on the road, young wans half naked in Eyre square, Windows being smashed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It always has been and always will be 'Rag Week', the colleges cancelling the official events won't change that. Let them at it I say, you're only young once and it's harmless fun broadly speaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

I know NUIG has cut ties and I think GMIT has done the same, so it's only publicans at this stage. It seems like the only thing that's really changed since it went unofficial is that there's no longer any money being raised for charity.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,658 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

xckjoo wrote: »
    I know NUIG has cut ties and I think GMIT has done the same, so it's only publicans at this stage. It seems like the only thing that's really changed since it went unofficial is that there's no longer any money being raised for charity.

and that is the only difference between RAG week now and RAG week 5 or 10 years ago. It's the charities that are losing out.

I remember the year it got cancelled 'officially' by the college in NUIG. I think the Student Union ran it that year. If I remember correctly, that year was one of the highest grossing for charities. But it was also a year of, at the time, worst 'trouble' because of an incident in a student accommodation site. The following year there was no organisation and all and now the 'trouble' (which is actually just students being drunk in the city centre rather than dispersed throughout the city and in accommodations) got worse as a result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

There was a lot of damage done to cars and property in woodquay and bohermore last year.

I have no issue with it except for this damage. All wing mirrors kicked off, a keg was thrown into the back window of a car , glass broken in front doors . I really wish this would stop .

ArtyC wrote: »
    There was a lot of damage done to cars and property in woodquay and bohermore last year.

I have no issue with it except for this damage. All wing mirrors kicked off, a keg was thrown into the back window of a car , glass broken in front doors . I really wish this would stop .

Had not heard of that to be honest. Ya agree that that has to be cut out.

I am all for letting people have their fun and if that means the streets are busier than normal I'm OK with that. Traffic is usually slow around that side of town so people on the streets I can also deal with, possible a broken flower pot or something. But breaking windows,doors, damaging cars etc - stuff with real high value is a no-no.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

But, but, what about the feckin Novena goers parking on the footpads?

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

FitzShane wrote: »
    and that is the only difference between RAG week now and RAG week 5 or 10 years ago. It's the charities that are losing out.

I remember the year it got cancelled 'officially' by the college in NUIG. I think the Student Union ran it that year. If I remember correctly, that year was one of the highest grossing for charities. But it was also a year of, at the time, worst 'trouble' because of an incident in a student accommodation site. The following year there was no organisation and all and now the 'trouble' (which is actually just students being drunk in the city centre rather than dispersed throughout the city and in accommodations) got worse as a result.
    Are charities losing out though? NUIG has raised as much money without rag week in some years since its cancellation.

Are charities losing out though? NUIG has raised as much money without rag week in some years since its cancellation.

Are you sure about that? I know RAG week was always a surprisingly big money maker for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

xckjoo wrote: »
    Are you sure about that? I know RAG week was always a surprisingly big money maker for them.
    Yeah i am. In some years between all the charity events in the year more money has been raised than what was raised in rag week.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

So, what exactly do students get at the end of this queue for The Hole in the Wall? Don't tell me it's just a pint because you can do that at any pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭smurf492

flazio wrote:
    So, what exactly do students get at the end of this queue for The Hole in the Wall? Don't tell me it's just a pint because you can do that at any pub.

A whole lot of street cred... :)

Yeah i am. In some years between all the charity events in the year more money has been raised than what was raised in rag week.

But they have always raised money outside of RAG week. You sound like you're comparing the amount raised during a single RAG week with the total they raise in an entire year since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Will there be any spill-over into Salthill tonight or is it safe for old men to have a quiet pint?

Will there be any spill-over into Salthill tonight or is it safe for old men to have a quiet pint?

No, I heard that tonight is the Sultry Salthill night organised. The biggest and baddest event known to Galway will take place there tonight :pac:

Look up your daughters, and probably your doors, dogs, gates, everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

Pancakes are good for soaking up alcohol.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

flazio wrote: »

A pint with lads who've got Ireland's sexiest accents - https://www.joe.ie/news/irelands-sexiest-accents-revealed-one-county-comes-way-ahead-rest-615908

In the Hole in the Wall, no less.

Just reward for surviving the piercing gaze of AGS Public Order Unit.

Some of them even got to queue in the sunshine for a while:

Image: https://twitter.com/CladdaghSwan/status/963360342544932866

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭tacofries

Would really love to be back in college for this. The drinking is good in fairness but it is more about all the little things that happen when you spend a full week with thousands of people that are all trying to have a good time.

Little things like flicking a light switch in a pub only to hear the whole place break into a chant in acknowledgement, or having everyone in the hole in the wall blast out the words to stop the world and let me off.

Everyone deserves to get the chance at doing Galways Rag week and genuinely feel sorry for those that never experienced it from the eyes of a student.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭mac1ntosh

The SU has organised other events to replace the money lost during RAG week, Christmas Day being one of the biggest charity events in the college which raises over approx €10k in one day.

mac1ntosh wrote: »
    The SU has organised other events to replace the money lost during RAG week, Christmas Day being one of the biggest charity events in the college which raises over approx €10k in one day.

Not sure you guys are understanding the point about raising money for charity. The original purpose of the week was to raise money for charities and have some fun. Now there's no charitable aspect of it and the only money made is by publicans, etc. Talking about how the SU has made up for lost charitable income doesn't really tell us anything other than they've done a good job with the hand they're dealt.

NUIG should have tried to pull it back on-campus, increased the emphasis on charity and reduced the emphasis on drinking. Instead they just cut it lose to be it's own monster.

On a side-note, the NUIG SU raised €15k in total last year, so I've a feeling your claim of €10k for one event might be off.

What a bunch of <students> standing outside hole in the wall and it -1 out

ANDREWMUFC wrote: »
    What a bunch of <students> standing outside hole in the wall and it -1 out

Agree,

Barr an Chaladh is more craic & better music :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Agree,

Not at 10:30 this morning it wasn't ðŸ˜

Three guards standing outside, lights were on but the doors were still closed. Publican was standing outside glowering at the guards.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,510 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

When I was in college myself I didn't care much for Rag Week, but as the years go on I find myself softening in attitude to it a lot.

You're only in that ideal window of time, between school and working for the rest of your life, for a very short while really. It feels like it's going to go on forever, but it doesn't - enjoy it while you can I say.

And, yes, it isn't all sweetness and light, but given the sheer amount of people out partying and all the drink consumed, it isn't really as bad as it's often made out to be. It is for most people involved good natured fun. Students in general bring a lot to Galway as a place, let them have a few days of craziness. I'd happily take it over Raceweek.

Agree,

I feel sorry for all the auld lads having to look at these flutes for the week in Barr an chaladh. No one can enjoy a quiet pint

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭StonedRaider

Arghus wrote: »
    When I was in college myself I didn't care much for Rag Week, but as the years go on I find myself softening in attitude to it a lot.

You're only in that ideal window of time, between school and working for the rest of your life, for a very short while really. It feels like it's going to go on forever, but it doesn't - enjoy it while you can I say.

And, yes, it isn't all sweetness and light, but given the sheer amount of people out partying and all the drink consumed, it isn't really as bad as it's often made out to be. It is for most people involved good natured fun. Students in general bring a lot to Galway as a place, let them have a few days of craziness. I'd happily take it over Raceweek.

I agree with you that you should enjoy your time in school/college while you can...but why damage another person's property during this so called 'charity' event? It happened to my vehicle in 2015. On camera. Guards did nothing about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

mac1ntosh wrote: »

And here's what that has already turned into....
    http://www.dailyedge.ie/nui-galway-christmas-day-3700882-Nov2017/

Look familiar? :rolleyes:

I expect they'll cut that loose into the hands of the publicans too, other colleges have already done so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

I engaged in a lot of ridiculous things when i was a student but I can hold my head up high and say that I never presented myself at any social gathering in a county jersey.

They do say though that if you can look back at your youth with no sense of cringe then you weren't really having a good time so who am i to pi$$ on their fun.

Except for the damage to property, that shouldn't happen.

Advertisement