Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not RAG week

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

xckjoo wrote: »
    Not sure you guys are understanding the point about raising money for charity. The original purpose of the week was to raise money for charities and have some fun. Now there's no charitable aspect of it and the only money made is by publicans, etc. Talking about how the SU has made up for lost charitable income doesn't really tell us anything other than they've done a good job with the hand they're dealt.

NUIG should have tried to pull it back on-campus, increased the emphasis on charity and reduced the emphasis on drinking. Instead they just cut it lose to be it's own monster.

On a side-note, the NUIG SU raised €15k in total last year, so I've a feeling your claim of €10k for one event might be off.
    What could NUIG have done to pull it back on-campus as large numbers of students would still have been going to pubs off campus in town and doing what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

What could NUIG have done to pull it back on-campus as large numbers of students would still have been going to pubs off campus in town and doing what happens.

Well you can't force people to stay on-campus but you need to make it the place they want to be. Lots of events, heavy promotion, roll back on the anti-alcohol stance, etc. Alcohol would have to be part of it but it doesn't have to be all of it. People always have and will go to where the fun is. It used to be the College Bar and River Inn were the main places to be. People drank on-campus by the river, etc. That only really changed when those places changed and people had to go elsewhere. Hole in the Wall didn't have those kinds of queues until more recent years.

There has been a significant shift in the atmosphere on campus in the last decade that has seen it move away from being student focused and more towards looking good in international rankings. RAG week was one of the many things that didn't fit in with this so it was cut lose so the university can disavow responsibility. It was never going to have a significant impact on the week itself.

Well you can't force people to stay on-campus but you need to make it the place they want to be. Lots of events, heavy promotion, roll back on the anti-alcohol stance, etc. Alcohol would have to be part of it but it doesn't have to be all of it. People always have and will go to where the fun is. It used to be the College Bar and River Inn were the main places to be. People drank on-campus by the river, etc. That only really changed when those places changed and people had to go elsewhere. Hole in the Wall didn't have those kinds of queues until more recent years.

There has been a significant shift in the atmosphere on campus in the last decade that has seen it move away from being student focused and more towards looking good in international rankings. RAG week was one of the many things that didn't fit in with this so it was cut lose so the university can disavow responsibility. It was never going to have a significant impact on the week itself.
    Lots of events etc is fine but that still wont stop most/any of the incidents that cause the trouble from happening and by having events as a rag/charity week just legitimises some students in their actions.

Lots of events etc is fine but that still wont stop most/any of the incidents that cause the trouble from happening and by having events as a rag/charity week just legitimises some students in their actions.

How do you reckon? Can you think of any incidents that have occurred on-campus in recent years? Any I can think of have occurred off-campus, where large amounts of alcohol has been consumed and there's no supervision. I'd even suggest that most of them happen when there's no specific event occurring (e.g. after the clubs, mid-day hanging around student housing, etc.). I think the Gardai asked NUIG not to disown RAG week at the time for exactly the reason that it would be uncontained and wouldn't curb the issue, but I might be mixing that up with something else.

The university has a duty of care to its students that it doesn't seem to take very seriously anymore. It bring thousands of young adults to the city every year and takes little interest in them beyond churning out qualifications and keeping their stats looking good. It exacerbates issues like housing and alcohol consumption and then takes the moral high ground and disavows any responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭tacofries

College Bar tried to reduce the size of Christmas Day this year. To do this they made it a ticketed event and opened the bar later than usual. What ended up happening was all of the students that didn't get tickets went in to town instead, something which the pubs and guards weren't prepared for. Even the people that had tickets to the college bar event chose to go into town instead as they didn't want to wait till 2 to get served!!

Christmas Day is the best day ever to grace Galway!! Such a pity the college bar are trying to ruin it.

• Advertisement

How do you reckon? Can you think of any incidents that have occurred on-campus in recent years? Any I can think of have occurred off-campus, where large amounts of alcohol has been consumed and there's no supervision. I'd even suggest that most of them happen when there's no specific event occurring (e.g. after the clubs, mid-day hanging around student housing, etc.). I think the Gardai asked NUIG not to disown RAG week at the time for exactly the reason that it would be uncontained and wouldn't curb the issue, but I might be mixing that up with something else.

The university has a duty of care to its students that it doesn't seem to take very seriously anymore. It bring thousands of young adults to the city every year and takes little interest in them beyond churning out qualifications and keeping their stats looking good. It exacerbates issues like housing and alcohol consumption and then takes the moral high ground and disavows any responsibility.
    There was some incidents on christmas day and others on campus iirc
    The university does have a duty of care that it does take seriously. Having had a lot of issue with housing while a student the university does a lot of good work but its very difficult and doesnt just take the high ground and avoid responsibility.
    tacofries wrote: »
    College Bar tried to reduce the size of Christmas Day this year. To do this they made it a ticketed event and opened the bar later than usual. What ended up happening was all of the students that didn't get tickets went in to town instead, something which the pubs and guards weren't prepared for. Even the people that had tickets to the college bar event chose to go into town instead as they didn't want to wait till 2 to get served!!

Christmas Day is the best day ever to grace Galway!! Such a pity the college bar are trying to ruin it.
    They werent trying to ruin it. The hours were restricted and it was made all ticketed as crowds were too big and there were too many incidents occuring. The Students Union and College bar had to open bar later and make it all ticketed to keep it and these were the restrictions put in place by University and the Guards.

How many tickets were released and how many can the bar hold? Why were usual hours different to the ones they introduced on Christmas Day?

Either way, I thought the resulting crowd that gathered in town was absolutely massive!

How many tickets were released and how many can the bar hold? Why were usual hours different to the ones they introduced on Christmas Day?

Either way, I thought the resulting crowd that gathered in town was absolutely massive!
    I dont know numbers bar can hold but considering the bar has been dangerously overcrowded in some of the recent years then it was always going to be much less and the hours were different on christmas day to try lessen changes of trouble arising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭ANDREWMUFC

Hole in the Wall has a 250 capacity it says on a poster in there

I dont know numbers bar can hold but considering the bar has been dangerously overcrowded in some of the recent years then it was always going to be much less and the hours were different on christmas day to try lessen changes of trouble arising.

I went to Christmas day for 5 years and saw no trouble at any of them. One time a fire alarm may have been activated (not sure if it was Christmas day) but that is the only thing that I came across that was even remotely dodgy/unique.

I don't like how the SU vote on behalf of the general student population on issues like rag week and then make it sound like the students themselves voted to get rid of it. Worried that the same is going to happen with Christmas Day (I am no longer a student but hope it remains like prior years so that other people can have their turn).

• Advertisement

I went to Christmas day for 5 years and saw no trouble at any of them. One time a fire alarm may have been activated (not sure if it was Christmas day) but that is the only thing that I came across that was even remotely dodgy/unique.

I don't like how the SU vote on behalf of the general student population on issues like rag week and then make it sound like the students themselves voted to get rid of it. Worried that the same is going to happen with Christmas Day (I am no longer a student but hope it remains like prior years so that other people can have their turn).
    I was a volunteer on a few occasions and there was plenty of trouble each year.
    The SU via the officers elected or at student council via the class reps are mandated to vote on behalf of the general student population. How else would you have things work?
    It isnt simply the 15 or so officers voting on behalf of the general student population its the couple of hundred class reps from each course.

What sort of trouble did you see? People skipping queues and sneaking drink in were the only things that I seen personally. Wouldnt be surprised if a few people got too drunk however I never seen anyone in a bad state and even if there was I don't see how reducing the numbers attending would help reduce that number by any significant amount whatsoever.

It is pretty easy to see how the SU council that voted on behalf of students was actually a very bad representative population of the overall student community for an issue such as Rag week which revolves heavily around drinking. This is pretty clear due to the fact that approx 110 SU reps voted to abolish rag week while only 10 votes were given to keep it. For some thing which was such a big part of college life and that the SU reps would naturally have had a bias for, imo a referendum of some sort should have been had.

What sort of trouble did you see? People skipping queues and sneaking drink in were the only things that I seen personally. Wouldnt be surprised if a few people got too drunk however I never seen anyone in a bad state and even if there was I don't see how reducing the numbers attending would help reduce that number by any significant amount whatsoever.

It is pretty easy to see how the SU council that voted on behalf of students was actually a very bad representative population of the overall student community for an issue such as Rag week which revolves heavily around drinking. This is pretty clear due to the fact that approx 110 SU reps voted to abolish rag week while only 10 votes were given to keep it. For some thing which was such a big part of college life and that the SU reps would naturally have had a bias for, imo a referendum of some sort should have been had.
    If it was to go to referendum it needs enough students to support one it didnt. SU council isnt at all a bad representative population. the class reps like to enjoy rag week/christmas day as any other students.

There was some incidents on christmas day and others on campus iirc
    The university does have a duty of care that it does take seriously. Having had a lot of issue with housing while a student the university does a lot of good work but its very difficult and doesnt just take the high ground and avoid responsibility.

They werent trying to ruin it. The hours were restricted and it was made all ticketed as crowds were too big and there were too many incidents occuring. The Students Union and College bar had to open bar later and make it all ticketed to keep it and these were the restrictions put in place by University and the Guards.

What work has the university done for accommodation? This housing problem has been around since at least the early 2000's and has only gotten worse. The Accommodation Office doesn't seem to have any responsibilities. They don't even manage Corrib Village anymore. If you think the university is taking its responsibilities to the students seriously, then you must be naive or unaware.

I'm predicting that the College Bar will be put out to tender within the next few years. Calling it now. University seem to be putting up road blocks all over the place to make the running of it as difficult as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

What work has the university done for accommodation? This housing problem has been around since at least the early 2000's and has only gotten worse. The Accommodation Office doesn't seem to have any responsibilities. They don't even manage Corrib Village anymore. If you think the university is taking its responsibilities to the students seriously, then you must be naive or unaware.

You haven't noticed the enormous buildings going up on the way to Dangan? The student accommodation that the University is building.

?Cee?view wrote: »
    You haven't noticed the enormous buildings going up on the way to Dangan? The student accommodation that the University is building.

Oh I did forget about that. My bad.

It's a good addition and will help, but it's still only 429 beds in about 20 years isn't it? I think Corrib Village is about 20 years old.

It's a good addition and will help, but it's still only 429 beds in about 20 years isn't it? I think Corrib Village is about 20 years old.

Fair point. Hopefully the new leader in NUIG will be more student centred than the last. First indicators are that things should improve.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

Theres another block of 400+ beds going up working through the system now
    All costs money??! NUIG have put 50m + into buildings in last decade , more than has been spent in the entire city I suspect by govt, council or developers.

youngrun wrote: »
    Theres another block of 400+ beds going up working through the system now
    All costs money??! NUIG have put 50m + into buildings in last decade , more than has been spent in the entire city I suspect by govt, council or developers.

What buildings? Their own? What's that got to do with anything? Gerry Barrett proposal for the Docks is costed at north of €100m. "So what?" you might ask. I dunno. Seems about as relevant.

Anyway, this is gone way off-topic so I'm out. Wasn't looking to start an NUIG bashing thread. I'd just like to see them shift their concerns back to the students and stop chasing rankings.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

What buildings? Their own? What's that got to do with anything? Gerry Barrett proposal for the Docks is costed at north of €100m. "So what?" you might ask. I dunno. Seems about as relevant.

Anyway, this is gone way off-topic so I'm out. Wasn't looking to start an NUIG bashing thread. I'd just like to see them shift their concerns back to the students and stop chasing rankings.

850 odd student accomm beds in process/pipeline ( I think 1200 new is end target btw) + 5/6 major new educational buildings is surely assisting towards both accommodation and provision for students/responsibilities?

Was just responding to your questions...as below..

Originally Posted by xckjoo View Post

• Advertisement

youngrun wrote: »
    850 odd student accomm beds in process/pipeline ( I think 1200 new is end target btw) + 5/6 major new educational buildings is surely assisting towards both accommodation and provision for students/responsibilities?

Was just responding to your questions...as below..

Originally Posted by xckjoo View Post

Yes and I conceded that they've started building accommodation. It's a good start but doesn't excuse the last 20 years. This isn't an issue that's appeared overnight.

What relevance do the other buildings have? They frown on you sleeping in those buildings. New educational buildings doesn't necessarily improve the quality of the education.

Yes and I conceded that they've started building accommodation. It's a good start but doesn't excuse the last 20 years. This isn't an issue that's appeared overnight.

What relevance do the other buildings have? They frown on you sleeping in those buildings. New educational buildings doesn't necessarily improve the quality of the education.

You're right. There's been a complete lack of planning for this over the last 20 years. NUI Galway has been consistently behind other Universities with regard to the facilities for students, not just accommodation. Hopefully this will now change and the emphasis will move away from chasing ratings, buildings buildings to boost those ratings and thinking of the students and staff and their welfare.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

For a few minutes, I actually thought Christmas Day in NUIG was actually on Christmas Day. I'm a dope. Most don't even stay in the city through Friday of each week, let alone through holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,658 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

So did anything actually happen this week?

Apart from the madness of a civilized, marshaled queue to get into a bar?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Nurse friend in UCH A+E said it was like a Saturday night all week.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

FitzShane wrote: »
    So did anything actually happen this week?

Apart from the madness of a civilized, marshaled queue to get into a bar?

City centre was manic thru til Wednesday night. Lots more broken glass and mayhem than usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭L'Enfer du Nord

?Cee?view wrote: »
    Fair point. Hopefully the new leader in NUIG will be more student centred than the last. First indicators are that things should improve.
    Hopefully, NUIG management' attitude to students and indeed staff can be seen in the way they monopolise the Quad for themselves. Other than for exams I've seldom seen a student in there, seldom see an academic in there either. HR and the other administrative functions housed there should be moved into a purpose built office building and the Quad should be given over to more student focused activity. Say housing study/research for postgrads.

At the moment it's a two way thing, students don't get to enjoy the surrounding of the quad very much and self-important senior administrators don't have to rub up against the hoi polloi.

I'm sure many of the people working in the quad are hard working and conscientious but the overall effect is that the most powerful people in the college have taken the best real estate for themselves and isolated themselves from everybody else.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I thought it was very quiet in town this week considering the week that was in it. Maybe it was the Novena people who were responsible for the chaos all along!

And in our part of Newcastle, it was even quieter than most weeks of the year - I saw one house party on Thursday evening, and hardly any other students all week.
    Hopefully, NUIG management' attitude to students and indeed staff can be seen in the way they monopolise the Quad for themselves. Other than for exams I've seldom seen a student in there, seldom see an academic in there either. HR and the other administrative functions housed there should be moved into a purpose built office building and the Quad should be given over to more student focused activity. Say housing study/research for postgrads.

At the moment it's a two way thing, students don't get to enjoy the surrounding of the quad very much and self-important senior administrators don't have to rub up against the hoi polloi.

I'm sure many of the people working in the quad are hard working and conscientious but the overall effect is that the most powerful people in the college have taken the best real estate for themselves and isolated themselves from everybody else.

Have you ever been in the Quad? It's not a particularly nice building on the inside.
    And I can only assume the suggestion to house students in it is a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭L'Enfer du Nord

Ficheall wrote: »
    I thought it was very quiet in town this week considering the week that was in it. Maybe it was the Novena people who were responsible for the chaos all along!

And in our part of Newcastle, it was even quieter than most weeks of the year - I saw one house party on Thursday evening, and hardly any other students all week.

Have you ever been in the Quad? It's not a particularly nice building on the inside.
    And I can only assume the suggestion to house students in it is a joke.

I've been in it many times, I didn't mean house in the sense of sleeping accommodation, I meant research student could work there. I don't believe for one minute it's not possible to refurbish the interior.

• Advertisement

I don't believe for one minute it's not possible to refurbish the interior.

You're right. The wing housing the Presidents office is pretty palatial.

An awful pity that the whole Quad excludes students and the vast majority of academics.

Advertisement