Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carpenter rates

Options
  • 12-02-2018 8:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi I’m dave have been a carpenter for 14 years now I’m 34 years old

I’m curretly thinking strong about going on my own I have been a lead carpenter for the past 5 years and I think it’s time I went out on my own I’m very nervous about doing this I have no idea about pricing insurance or business end of things

Any help in this would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

First question I suppose, do you have work in the pipeline or know of anyone who could provide ongoing business to keep you afloat? If not, you could get in contact with a few local builders. I'm sure you know that builders and other tradesmen will recommend you based on the quality of your work over price any day.

As for business insurance, I did a quick google search and found the following: https://www.libertyinsurance.ie/business-insurance/commercial-cover-options/ I will say, look around and find the best quote.

When you do go out on your own, you'll have to register for Income Tax and at some stage, VAT. An Accountant would be your best bet to discuss this with.

Coming back around to sourcing work. If you have nothing in the pipeline, don't just drop your full time job, start doing a few jobs here and there to get your name out. In time, if your work is good, it should find you as you tender for more work in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Youngpies

Hi Dave,
    Find your nearest local enterprise office and join in on their 4 week 'start your own business' classes. It's only 100 Euro and I'm sure you'll find it very useful.

https://www.localenterprise.ie/Discover-Business-Supports/Training-Programmes/Start-Your-Own-Business-Programme/

Advertisement