Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Childcare woes/Aupair

Options
  • 12-02-2018 9:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭

Sorry if this is wrong forum but really not sure where else to look. My wife is due back into work in the next few weeks and we cannot find childcare anywhere. Have tried rollercoaster/mindme etc etc but to no avail.

Everyone seems ok till they hear about the 10 month old and don't want to bother. Or the fact our 4 year old needs to be picked up at 12 each day from Nanoira.

Any other website that would be good?

I am just wondering are there any companies set up that will do the whole Aupair thing for you? so you give details and they set up everything? I have registered on Au Pair world etc but not sure how to set it up

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

We found ours on schooldays.ie.When our second arrived, we used the same person again, but school is going to need some adjustments.She is in preschool, but it is a bit of a distance away and minder doesn't dive.We have managed so far but when one is in JI and the second is in preschool, we will have to juggle a bit(no 3 is also due soon). So we are looking at a combo of after school care in the preschool (which provides it, and a pick up service from the local primary school), one day where grandparents pick up, one day where I take parental leave and maybe then just 1/2 days where the minder does the pickup.Could you look at something like that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

shesty wrote: »
    We found ours on schooldays.ie.When our second arrived, we used the same person again, but school is going to need some adjustments.She is in preschool, but it is a bit of a distance away and minder doesn't dive.We have managed so far but when one is in JI and the second is in preschool, we will have to juggle a bit(no 3 is also due soon). So we are looking at a combo of after school care in the preschool (which provides it, and a pick up service from the local primary school), one day where grandparents pick up, one day where I take parental leave and maybe then just 1/2 days where the minder does the pickup.Could you look at something like that?

We are looking at options, my wife is taking parental leave so it is just 2 days a week. This rules out most minders as they want more hours.

Unfortunately my parents live too far away to help and I won't mention my wifes side but lets just say its not an option.

My wife is talking about trying to reduce to 1 day a week for a year or 2 and I take them for that day but this will take a few weeks to set up and not ideal long term

The plan was to try and get one person to look after them all but it might be that we have to get minder for smaller 2 and just after Nanoira for eldest, she will be in gaelscoil in September anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 28 i know u know

Where are you located. Maybe an add up in a local shop or in the local newspaper might get you someone

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Try childminding.ie .
    I would love to mind those ages but moving soon.

Where are you located. Maybe an add up in a local shop or in the local newspaper might get you someone

Thanks, I have done all of the following.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

Maybe a local Facebook parenting group?

Cakerbaker wrote: »
    Maybe a local Facebook parenting group?

Done :p

Childminding.ie is only one I havent tried

The bloody website is awful slow....

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Done :p

Childminding.ie is only one I havent tried

The bloody website is awful slow....

I remember the search myself, it’s tough. We were looking for 2 days at the start but like you say most childminders want more days than that which is understandable so we ended up putting him in a crèche that did a 3 day option. We only had the 1 though so didn’t have the complication of the collection from Naoinra.

Cakerbaker wrote: »
    I remember the search myself, it’s tough. We were looking for 2 days at the start but like you say most childminders want more days than that which is understandable so we ended up putting him in a crèche that did a 3 day option. We only had the 1 though so didn’t have the complication of the collection from Naoinra.

As the days of the week can change the creche doesn't want to know. They want us either to give set days or put them in for the full 5 days which would be astronomical money:mad:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

No winning is there....you would think that only needing part -time childcare would be making your life easier, but no.The flip side being fulltime costs a fortune.Very frustrating.

• Advertisement

As the days of the week can change the creche doesn't want to know. They want us either to give set days or put them in for the full 5 days which would be astronomical money:mad:

Have you tried chatting to any of the parents at the Naoinra? There maybe someone there who hasn’t done childminding before but might be happy with some extra cash for 2 days a week? I did find that some of the people who were willing to do the shorter weeks were parents who didn’t want the full time commitment. In my case those people all lived a bit away from us so would have added a good bit onto our already long commutes so it didn’t work out.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Au pairs aren't supposed to provide more than about 20 hours a week of work. Given all the cases coming down the track about au pairs being exploited and being awarded money I don't think it's a viable child care option.
    Have you tried schooldays.ie? That's where we found our minder.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Are you looking for a nanny(in yourhome) or childminder (in theirs)?

Moonbeam wrote: »
    Are you looking for a nanny(in yourhome) or childminder (in theirs)?

Well it doesn't matter. Before the person minded in their house but we had a smaller house. That person got a job so she is gone

Even for Aupair we have granny flat section which they could use and kind of away from rest of us if they wanted.

At this stage we would take anything. One woman had said she would take them, first in her house and then in ours. We had agreed everything and then she rang and said she had better offer:mad:

You might have to suck it up and pay more if you want specific hours. We pay more because we need someone to work around our non-standard work hours. Of course someone who wants more work will take a better offer.

I suppose also consider would you need to provide au pair with a car or is the school.within walking distance?Also maybe ask naionra for suggestions-any parents they know of available or after school care that other kids use?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

Shefwedfan wrote:
    Well it doesn't matter. Before the person minded in their house but we had a smaller house. That person got a job so she is gone

If they mind in your house they are your employee so you have to pay tax prsi and holidays. Something to bear in mind plus the extra heating and electricity you would use.

lazygal wrote: »
    You might have to suck it up and pay more if you want specific hours. We pay more because we need someone to work around our non-standard work hours. Of course someone who wants more work will take a better offer.

Did I post that I wouldn't pay more?

What I said is I wouldn't pay for 5 days in creche when the requirement is for 2 days. Don't see anything unreasonable about that? Do you?

I paid my previous childminder more because it was different days, as mentioned she got job and left.....I offered more for her to stay but she wouldn't as she wanted to build a career for herself.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

How many hours of work per week would be needed?

Au pairs aren't supposed to provide more than about 20 hours a week of work. Given all the cases coming down the track about au pairs being exploited and being awarded money I don't think it's a viable child care option.

What's not viable about it? All you have to do is pay them properly, 20 hours per week at minimum wage works out at around €115, including PRSI, if you're providing board + lodgings. Obviously there'll be more costs in shopping, heat, and electricity.

Providing manual handling training costs about €50, and any light domestic duties expected of an aupair should be low-risk. The only real unknown is whether your home insurer decides to increase your premium for having somebody working in the house.

The problem in the courts lies in people keeping domestic slaves, and calling them aupairs. I know people who worked as aupairs who had their passports taken from them by their host family, and who worked up to 70 hours for very little pay. There has been huge exploitation, and those who did it should be punished. That doesn't mean however that aupair model for childcare is unworkable, far from it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭st1979

We have used au pair world in the past and found it good. You got to do the work yourself on finding an au pair. So forget about saying you are wanting a company to do it all for you. Any one I know with bad au pair experience used an agency. They were given a choice of one to pick from. You are looking for someone to join your family which is more important than looking for someone to join your company.

We are on probably 5th or 6th au pair now. And we have had some really great people many of them stayed for a year.

My wife hates me saying this that au pair world looks to me like a dating site. In that you need to send out lots of invitations to chat and see what comes of it. She would spend hours looking up the perfect au pair and agonising over which of the 3 were the best before sending a message. Then I would look at the profiles and see that all 3 were perfect and everyone else taught so too. And they had a 100 invitations and only replied to 2 or 3. These are like the supermodels unattainable.

I hate seeing all the bad headlines about how au pairs been treated and because of that some will try to ban this system. Most of our au pairs leave as it's time to get a career and they are able to do so because of their improved English and newly acquired independence and when they leave are in tears.
    Most of the girls it's their first time away from home.

Think what can you provide your au pair. For us it's every weekend off. If they go away for the weekend abroad they may not be back till Monday night. That's fine too. We insure them on a car and fuel in it. Find nearest English classes for them where they make friends with other au pairs.

We now have got au pairs by reference from existing au pair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

ectoraige wrote:
    What's not viable about it? All you have to do is pay them properly, 20 hours per week at minimum wage works out at around €115, including PRSI, if you're providing board + lodgings. Obviously there'll be more costs in shopping, heat, and electricity.

20 hours at minimum wage is 115 a week? The most that can be deducted for board is 54 euro. I think you may wish to revisit your figures

ectoraige wrote: »

Providing manual handling training costs about €50, and any light domestic duties expected of an aupair should be low-risk. The only real unknown is whether your home insurer decides to increase your premium for having somebody working in the house.

The problem in the courts lies in people keeping domestic slaves, and calling them aupairs. I know people who worked as aupairs who had their passports taken from them by their host family, and who worked up to 70 hours for very little pay. There has been huge exploitation, and those who did it should be punished. That doesn't mean however that aupair model for childcare is unworkable, far from it.

We employ a minder in our home and the going rate isn't minimum wage, employers PRSI on top and insurance adds up.
    I don't know anyone who registered as an employer when they had an au pair. Plus it isn't supposed to be a model for child care. It's a cultural exchange.

Did I post that I wouldn't pay more?

What I said is I wouldn't pay for 5 days in creche when the requirement is for 2 days. Don't see anything unreasonable about that? Do you?

I paid my previous childminder more because it was different days, as mentioned she got job and left.....I offered more for her to stay but she wouldn't as she wanted to build a career for herself.....

Jesus no need to get so defensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭beechwood55

Aupairs are not suitable for the sole care for very young babies and preschoolers. You need to get experienced minders for that age group.

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    20 hours at minimum wage is 115 a week? The most that can be deducted for board is 54 euro. I think you may wish to revisit your figures

Bad fingers, I meant €151!

The reference to a company to find Au Pair is because we have no idea where to start.

We are not looking at Au Pair to reduce costs or anything. Everyone we have talked to have said because of the situation we are in the Au Pair would probably be best option. They would not be required to work weekend and max would be 2 days per week.

We rang Nanny agency today, even she wasn't pushing their service, said we could pay the fee but she wasn't sure if even after paying the fee anyone of their nannys would be interested, didn't fill us with confidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭maxsmum

2 or 3 day creche will be your only option and if the days change of course they won't take the kid. I know it's hard trying to cut down to part time and get childminders too but honestly the options you're offering are just too difficult.
    We both work full time and it's so easy knowing creche is there for us always open and never lets us down. Money wise things are better and the child is happy out and full of beans.

We employ a minder in our home and the going rate isn't minimum wage, employers PRSI on top and insurance adds up.
    I don't know anyone who registered as an employer when they had an au pair. Plus it isn't supposed to be a model for child care. It's a cultural exchange.

Recent cases have shown in the absence of aupair-specific legislation, host families do need to register. Yes it is a cultural exchange, but it is based around helping out in the home, and that does include caring for the children. It's just not supposed to replace childminders, it suits families that have part-time needs, which the OP seems to have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭RiseToMe

Hi OP,

My wife recently returned to work and we faced the same issue. I worked both for myself and for somebody else and in the end I cut right back and just do the childminding myself. There isn't a whole lot of options out there unless you need full time care.

Advertisement