Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biomedical scientists working in Ireland

Options
  • 12-02-2018 9:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi guys,
    I have few questions about biomedical scientist who are working in Ireland.I have searched on Google but couldn't get the right answers so If there is anyone who is working as a biomedical scientist in Ireland can help me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Dingle_berry

Yes, there's a few of us lurking here, ask your questions and we'll answer if we can!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Aqeel5

That's lovely
    Dingle do you know what can be expected salary for newly graduated biomedical scientist and how much years of practical experience it will take to rise up the salary?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

The starting salary for a Medical Scientist working for the HSE is about €34,000. It increases every year by 1k and is capped after 14 years.

There is also on call payment for working nights and weekends.

Thanks #Martina1991 but I was looking on google and it says that if you are a chief medical scientist or a laboratory manager which you can become after doing a master's degree and having 7 years of experience in medical laboratory the salary can be 80k+ for these positions is it true? Or they just said it for setting you on hope.

A chief starts on 58,000+ and can earn up to 73,000.

A lab manager starts on 65,000+ and can earn 80,000+ after 8 years.

But I've never heard of anyone becoming a chief or lab manager after just 7 years experience.

Many scientists work their way up from Basic grade to senior to chief after many years experience.

• Advertisement

Thankyou soo much #Martina1991 and just last thing do you know how much years it takes to become a laboratory manager from the beginning ? Overall years?

There is no definite amount of time it takes. There is only one lab manager per hospital. So jobs only become available if someone leaves or usually retires.

I would guess the average age of a lab manager is late 40s or early 50s. So they would have at least 20 years lab experience.

Alright Thanks Martina

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Dingle_berry

All HSE payscales are available here https://www.hse.ie/eng/staff/benefitsservices/pay/
    Like Martina said, you move up the scale for the grade that you are employed at. Promotion to senior chief or manager is by open competition and not garaunteed. There are approximately 2000 medical scientists in Ireland and I would guess less than 100 lab managers...

If you're thinking of studying it in college be aware that there are only 4 courses that will qualify you to work in Ireland. Ones like biomedical science in maynooth and Sligo will not qualify.
    If you already have a non-irish qualification be aware that the responsibility for recognising qualifications is being transferred to CORU and the process has been frozen until that is complete.

Perfect that link have all the info that I wanted
    Yeah I know there's only few universities and institutions which offers courses to make you eligble for getting membership of ACSLM.
    Thats perfect guys thankyou soo much

• Advertisement
Advertisement