Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diarrhoea when running

• 12-02-2018 9:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭

Has anyone had the dreaded diarrhoea when out running, it has happened to me now twice when out for a run, usually within the first km or two.  
    Any suggestions of how to get rid of it to avoid having to run within eye distance of a toilet!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭syntheticjunk

Cup of coffee 40-45 min before run and it happens while at home :) At least that works for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Kmagic

As a beginner take my advice with a pinch of salt. While training for my first marathon last year, i found toilet breaks a real pain, especially for number 2s. In the couple days before my long runs, i tried to eat only carbs (edit and protein), and cut down on fiber i.e loads of omelette and toast and cornflakes type stuff. You can't go number 2 if you dont have any number 2 in your system. It took me a while playing around with food groups but by race day i was happy with my eating. YMMV but look at what you're eating in the 36 hours before and judge accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

Welcome! You are now a real runner :D, happens to everyone at some stage, as mentioned above it is trial and error to figure out what foods might trigger GI distress - what happens is while running blood is diverted from your organs to fuel your muscles, including the organs that process food - hence GI distress.
    For me I try to have a strong coffee and banana an hour before my long run to get things moving (I know a banana should stop this but hey, works for me). You just need to ensure you have done the business before heading out.
    I wouldn't go changing my diet too drastically as Kmagic has above as this can mess up your normal routine (altough it appears to work for them), just try leaving out certain foods to see what the trigger is - for me i find a beer or 2 the night before is a big no no.
    +1000 on the coffee tough
    Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

Thanks for the input, I think some beer (not much) the night before could be a culprit but I will watch it closely over the next few weeks.  Dont want it happening in a big city race!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

I get issues when i push myself too hard - going too fast, going too far. It hasn't happened in a while now (touch wood) but it was always when i was doing more than i should have been doing for my level of fitness at that time. I'm better at small increases and step backs now and it hasn't been an issue (touch wood). I stick to white bread toast/bagel and/or banana in the 2 hours before a run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

ariana` wrote: »
    I get issues when i push myself too hard - going too fast, going too far. It hasn't happened in a while now (touch wood) but it was always when i was doing more than i should have been doing for my level of fitness at that time. I'm better at small increases and step backs now and it hasn't been an issue (touch wood). I stick to white bread toast/bagel and/or banana in the 2 hours before a run.

#neverpush

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

I don’t run but my wife does and on a long run she has to eat a small bowl of overnight oats with a half a banana and a strong coffee about an hour and half before hand...that works for her.
    Plus she cant touch any of the gels or similar as they cause havoc with her tummy.
    As mentioned it’s definitely trial and error.
    Was talking to a friend last week who has done 50 marathons and he still would get it occasionally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

I eat a lot of fruit and I would guess that’s the culprit so I always try to cut down a little coming up to long races. Otherwise, if I don’t want to change my diet for long runs I just plan the first few miles of my route past bathrooms whether it’s petrol stations or there’s a McDonalds I used to frequent at one stage :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭Creative83

This is disgusting!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭VW 1

Creative83 wrote: »
    This is disgusting!

Yeah imagine, discussion of a perfectly normal bodily function!

Someone think of the children.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭Creative83

VW 1 wrote: »

It's not normal! Eat and drink properly and there should be no problem

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

eh do you run? Maybe you've been lucky enough to not suffer tummy upset during a run.

As mentioned above, the exertion that running, especially long distances, puts on the body means that even when you eat and drink normally, you're more than likely gonna suffer this issue at some stage. Most people have to manage their food and drink on the day or two before a half or full marathon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭PoorFarmer

Creative83 wrote:
    This is disgusting!

You better not go trail or mountain running 😊 wouldn't be long learning the difference between a dock leaf and a nettle leaf 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

VW 1 wrote: »

No doubt someone who watches the Olympics from the sofa and is an expert in all sports

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

kilns wrote: »
    No doubt someone who watches the Olympics from the sofa and is an expert in all sports

In fairness i'd say they were only stirring it......

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭seamusk84

Just noticed this thread. I'd highly recommend a Berocca Boost soluble tablet 45 minutes before running. Completely clears you out. It's a ritual for me every morning before running.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭demfad

Drink loads of water 1-2 hours before. Gets things moving. Works especially well in the morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,446 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Tea and a slice of toast works every time for me before a run. Not too heavy either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Take triphala daily and you will have regular bowel movement every morning.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Some days I'd have issues on my early morning runs done before the house wakes up, but no time for any preventative measures before starting running at that hour. I just stick to a loop relatively close to the the house so I can head back quickly if needed rather than doing extra laps.

Normally don't have much problem on longer runs after I've been up and breakfasted and coffeed for the day, but always useful to know where the nearest pub is. Had to go properly wild a while ago and do what bears do when out in the woods in the middle of nowhere and it was quite liberating. Not so much if nearer civilisation though when caught out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

You're not a real runner until you've shat in a ditch.

...is what I tried to tell myself that time...two times...:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,426 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

OP - Do you start out too hard and fast when you are running? Do you experience diarrhoea at other times?
    Diarrhoea is usually a sign of distress so it's strange it would happen at the start of a run. It's happened me a couple of times, but that has been towards the end of a race where I have really pushed myself and it's been warmer than expected weather conditions so my body has been under stress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I was told about this thread, so here I am.

After getting a diagnoses of diabetes this time last year I started running to drop my weight (cut out carbs too and have dropped over 35 kg this year and have reverses my diabetes).

Things were going grand until I started to push the 5km mark and beyond, it happened so much that I was relieved when winter came and I started running on a treadmill (for some reason it never happens in the gym).

Because of being caught short I had to pull out of the first charity 10k I was interested in doing and although I'd love to try a Saturday park run (Saint Annes or Father Collins are my locals) I just don't have the confidence in case Im caght short in front of lots of other runner.

Never happens to me on the treadmill, why?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Graham1882

Never happens to me on the treadmill, why?

I always wondered is this a psychological along with physical thing in some cases? I notice a difference in the food I eat beforehand and the time of day I go running makes a difference for me personally. I was very conscience of it to a point it put me off going out for a run at the start.

However i never had an issue when I run pushing a buggy. I put it down to my mind was concentrating on something else. Maybe because you know the toilet is near you don't worry about It? Again this is just a thought with my experience.

Graham1882 wrote: »
    I always wondered is this a psychological along with physical thing in some cases? I notice a difference in the food I eat beforehand and the time of day I go running makes a difference for me personally. I was very conscience of it to a point it put me off going out for a run at the start.

However i never had an issue when I run pushing a buggy. I put it down to my mind was concentrating on something else. Maybe because you know the toilet is near you don't worry about It? Again this is just a thought with my experience.

Luckily I run on a beach, and after a few km away from the car park its usually pretty empty, but I was taking a pee one day when I heard a drone overhead lol.

Unless I've gone to the loo that day I 'tend to favor the treadmill, but either way I won't leave for a run (in public) will paper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭rom

For a race just take imodium if its that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

There's some more info. on this podcast by Trail Runner Nation on how to avoid stomach distress. Might be of some use.

rom wrote: »
    For a race just take imodium if its that bad.

Off topic, but sports related.

You just reminded me of something.

My sport is Judo (thats me in blue in my avatar), well at a competition a few years ago I was carrying an injury which was really bad that day so my coach suggested a suppository :(

After much laughter, and a few sniggers I took it and went to the toilets to stick it in.. One of the girls in the club is a nurse and she told me its going to feel unpleasant until it melts but not to panic.

Well fook me, if you think running is difficult when its touching clothe try fighting with a suppository dissolving up your arse :eek::eek::eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭ariidae

I was running quite regularly without a problem when suddenly I started having this issue. It dawned on me that I had tried giving up chocolate/sweet things and was snacking on nuts instead. I gave up the nuts and had no problems there after.

Advertisement