Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone phone price dropped after buying

Options
  • 12-02-2018 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

I upgraded my phone with vodafone last week to an Iphone 8 via bill pay. The cost of the phone was 230euro. Now I see the phone on the same plan is 100euro. Should I be able to get a refund for the difference since I can still technically bring back the phone?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

If it went up would you be offering them the difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 twitpants

Thanks for the useful comment. The reason I ask is because companies like Amazon, John Lewis would give you the difference back if they reduced the price after you purchased an item

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Well if you can bring back the phone, then ask.
    If they don’t refund , hand back the phone and get it again at the cheaper price.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 twitpants

Thanks for the reply. I'll try that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

If you have opened the phone and used it, then I'm not sure you can simply hand it back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

if you bought it online or via door to door sales, you have a 14day cooling off period.

if you bought in a B&M store, you do not, you have no consumer right to return phone & void contract, so you are relying on goodwill. Ask by all means, but i wouldn't expect them to allow you to cancel the contract without penalty. the opened & used phone has less value this week than it did before you opened it.

so its important to know if you purchased online.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭NATLOR

twitpants wrote:
    Thanks for the useful comment. The reason I ask is because companies like Amazon, John Lewis would give you the difference back if they reduced the price after you purchased an item

Amazon don't do that anymore and John Lewis IIRC will price match an item but only before you buy it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

if you bought it online or via door to door sales, you have a 14day cooling off period.

if you bought in a B&M store, you do not, you have no consumer right to return phone & void contract, so you are relying on goodwill. Ask by all means, but i wouldn't expect them to allow you to cancel the contract without penalty. the opened & used phone has less value this week than it did before you opened it.

so its important to know if you purchased online.

Even if it was purchased online and he's just had a change of mind, doesn't necessarily mean he will be entitled to a refund. He's used the service.

Op have you called them to ask? It's at their discretion so I'd be going in more with hope than expectation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

twitpants wrote:
    I upgraded my phone with vodafone last week to an Iphone 8 via bill pay. The cost of the phone was 230euro. Now I see the phone on the same plan is 100euro. Should I be able to get a refund for the difference since I can still technically bring back the phone?

Bring back the phone cancel the plan and sign out up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    Bring back the phone cancel the plan and sign out up again.

As has already been adressed, You can't simply return a phone once it's opened unlessthere's something wrong with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

duffman13 wrote: »
    Even if it was purchased online and he's just had a change of mind, doesn't necessarily mean he will be entitled to a refund. He's used the service.

Op have you called them to ask? It's at their discretion so I'd be going in more with hope than expectation

yes he can. as per vodafones T&C's

Under the Consumer Information Regulations, you may be entitled to a 14 day cooling off period. If so, you have the right to cancel your contract with us or get a refund on any purchase made before the expiry of your 14 day cooling off period without giving any reason. Your cancellation period will expire 14 calendar days following receipt of your goods, or in the case of services, from the date your contract was concluded. If multiple goods are ordered in one order and delivered separately, the cooling off period expires 14 days after the date of the last delivery. Please follow the instructions below to let us know you wish to cancel before the expiry of your cooling off period.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

OP - have you used the phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

yes he can. as per vodafones T&C's

Under the Consumer Information Regulations, you may be entitled to a 14 day cooling off period. If so, you have the right to cancel your contract with us or get a refund on any purchase made before the expiry of your 14 day cooling off period without giving any reason. Your cancellation period will expire 14 calendar days following receipt of your goods, or in the case of services, from the date your contract was concluded. If multiple goods are ordered in one order and delivered separately, the cooling off period expires 14 days after the date of the last delivery. Please follow the instructions below to let us know you wish to cancel before the expiry of your cooling off period.

That's in regards to purchases made on their website. They have no obligation to take the phone back if the OP bought it in store. The 14 day cooling off period does not apply to in store purchases, only online purchases.

Advertisement