Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IPhone battery replacement

Options
  • 12-02-2018 1:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭

Has anyone availed of the cheaper battery replacement offer? How long does it take. Does it stay in Ireland?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

grizzly wrote: »
    Has anyone availed of the cheaper battery replacement offer? How long does it take. Does it stay in Ireland?

There was a big thread on it a little while ago. If you search for it, it lists the good and bad experiences.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

whiterebel wrote: »
    There was a big thread on it a little while ago. If you search for it, it lists the good and bad experiences.

I’m asking more about the Apple offer for a cheaper replacement. I’ve seen threads for replacements in non-Apple shops, but I’m not interested in that, thanks!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

grizzly wrote: »
    I’m asking more about the Apple offer for a cheaper replacement. I’ve seen threads for replacements in non-Apple shops, but I’m not interested in that, thanks!

That’s exactly what the thread was about - search for IPhone 6 battery,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

You can bring it for replace to some shops like Harvey Norman Nutgrove they do it in store by qualified staff, the actual process takes less than 1 hour, if you organise properly with the staff you will have the phone back quite fast, other Harvey Norman stores they send them to Nutgrove also maybe to apple. The best thing about Harvey Norman is that if you get it back straight away you do not need to reset the phone or anything like that. Price is cheaper than Apple as they only charge €27

With apple the process takes about a week, the phone you get is factory reset as their normal process is to send a refurbished phone back, at least it's the process for other repairs when you send it to them not sure if the same for the battery replacement. They charge €29 plus I think €10 shipping.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭brophs

nava wrote: »
    You can bring it for replace to some shops like Harvey Norman Nutgrove they do it in store by qualified staff, the actual process takes less than 1 hour, if you organise properly with the staff you will have the phone back quite fast, other Harvey Norman stores they send them to Nutgrove also maybe to apple. The best thing about Harvey Norman is that if you get it back straight away you do not need to reset the phone or anything like that. Price is cheaper than Apple as they only charge €27

With apple the process takes about a week, the phone you get is factory reset as their normal process is to send a refurbished phone back, at least it's the process for other repairs when you send it to them not sure if the same for the battery replacement. They charge €29 plus I think €10 shipping.
    I presume HN don’t fit original Apple batteries?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

nava wrote: »

It is NOT “normal process” to get a refurbished phone back from Apple. Where did you get this information?

Also Harvey Norman use “qualified” staff? What are their qualifications out of interest?

HN are just replacing the battery with the same knock off crap that the other shady repairers are doing.

quarryman wrote: »
    It is NOT “normal process” to get a refurbished phone back from Apple. Where did you get this information?

Also Harvey Norman use “qualified” staff? What are their qualifications out of interest?

HN are just replacing the battery with the same knock off crap that the other shady repairers are doing.

Harvey Norman Nutgrove are on the list of Apple service providers for iPhones. It is normal to get a refurb back from Apple when you send it for repair. Not sure about for the batteries, but that’s what Nava said as well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

quarryman wrote: »

Harvey Norman are an AASP, same as CompuB, Typetec et al. They can do warranty repairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Oxter

Harvey Norman are an AASP, same as CompuB, Typetec et al. They can do warranty repairs.

There are no iPhone authorised repair centres who are allowed to open an iPhone in this country.
    Such Centre’s here are only authorized to do warranty repairs to iPods and iPads. As in other threads any iPhone opened in this country no longer has any Apple warranty left - it has been voided. Only approved iPhone repair Centre is the Apple Store in Belfast.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Oxter wrote: »
    There are no iPhone authorised repair centres who are allowed to open an iPhone in this country.
    Such Centre’s here are only authorized to do warranty repairs to iPods and iPads. As in other threads any iPhone opened in this country no longer has any Apple warranty left - it has been voided. Only approved iPhone repair Centre is the Apple Store in Belfast.

In the case warranty repairs on the iPhone, that would seem to be the case. But AASPs, of which Harvey Norman is one, are qualified Apple technicians and are currently replacing iPhone batteries. For other iPhone repairs done under warranty they will take them in but send them off to Apple.

• Advertisement

HN Nutgrove, CompuB, and iConnect are on Apple's own list of authorised repair centres. Your information is out of date.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Got my battery replaced at Compub Swords for €29, Took around 2 weeks for the battery to come from apple at teh time,I got the appointment with compub after speaking with Apple on live chat. My iphone 6 is going great ever since.

HN Nutgrove, CompuB, and iConnect are on Apple's own list of authorised repair centres. Your information is out of date.

These iOS repair centres are authorised only to do warranty repairs on iPad and iPod, NOT iPhone. Even their websites state “warranty repairs to iPad and iPod” and simply “Repairs to iPhone”

. They simply return the iPhone to Apple.

Apple just confirmed this and stated that the only iPhone repair Centre in Ireland is the Apple Store in Belfast. This information is current.

These iOS repair centres are authorised only to do warranty repairs on iPad and iPod, NOT iPhone. Even their websites state “warranty repairs to iPad and iPod” and simply “Repairs to iPhone”

. They simply return the iPhone to Apple.

Apple just confirmed this and stated that the only iPhone repair Centre in Ireland is the Apple Store in Belfast. This information is current.

They come up when you specifically look for battery replacement on iPhone. Do you think Apple would allow HN, iConnect and CompuB to use the AASP designation if they weren't allowed?

here's the big thread - it looks like whoever you were talking to in Apple isn't up to date.....https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057823764

They come up when you specifically look for battery replacement on iPhone. Do you think Apple would allow HN, iConnect and CompuB to use the AASP designation if they weren't allowed?

here's the big thread - it looks like whoever you were talking to in Apple isn't up to date.....https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057823764

They use AASP specifically for iPad and iPod, and are not iPhone warranty repairers.
    I tried 2 recently. Neither had the Apple repair equipment to replace a screen on a iPhone

They use AASP specifically for iPad and iPod, and are not iPhone warranty repairers.
    I tried 2 recently. Neither had the Apple repair equipment to replace a screen on a iPhone

Believe what you will, it doesn't really matter to me. Many cases of people getting the batteries replaced in AASPs which they wouldn't dream of doing if Apple didn't allow them. Also Apple are apparently supplying the genuine batteries.

I contacted Apple again.

It seems the AASPs here are now authorised to replace batteries, a simple job but are not authorized to carry out iPhone repairs.

They will take in the damaged phone and send it back to Apple. This leaves Belfast as the only authorized iPhone repair Centre in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭brophs

Just as a quick follow on, to confirm what others have suggested:

I spoke to CompuB this morning. The lady clarified that they are now authorised to carry out battery replacements. You go into store, they do a diagnostic and order a new battery, which takes approx. 2 weeks to arrive. When it does you go back in and they fit the battery within 24 hrs (albeit she said they’ll usually be done within 2-3 hrs)

brophs wrote: »

I spoke to CompuB this morning. The lady clarified that they are now authorised to carry out battery replacements. You go into store, they do a diagnostic and order a new battery, which takes approx. 2 weeks to arrive. When it does you go back in and they fit the battery within 24 hrs (albeit she said they’ll usually be done within 2-3 hrs)

This is the first time any AASP has been allowed to open an iPhone in this country,but only to replace the battery,which is not held in stock.

No wonder Irish jokes are so stupid. 6,000 Apple employees in this country
    and the only iPhone technicians here are only allowed to replace batteries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

brophs wrote: »

I went in first thing one morning(few mins after they called me) and i got a call/email within a half and hour, I would have stayed around the shop if i thought it would only take 30 mins(They said 24 hours).
    This is the first time any AASP has been allowed to open an iPhone in this country,but only to replace the battery,which is not held in stock if i was to go back in.

No wonder Irish jokes are so stupid. 6,000 Apple employees in this country
    and the only iPhone technicians here are only allowed to replace batteries.

Thats annoying, I was gonna ask at the same time if they could replace my earpiece in the phone but that counts that out.

• Advertisement
Advertisement