Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How deep is your roots??

Options
  • 12-02-2018 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hi.
    I want to plant a beech hedge before the end of March. I never plan to let to let this hedge grow highter than 6 feet or to wide.. The thing is I have geothermal collector pipes which are 1m below the surface and run along 50m of the property line. I want to sow a hedge over this.. How deep would beech hedge root go down??
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I'd say you'll be fine. Beech has an intensive heart root system in the top few inches of soil, and not much below.

I've pulled up a few 2-3m hedges of various species and none of them rooted deeper than a foot deep.

Suggest you plant 3ft from the boundary in any case, to give the hedge space to grow, reduce problems with any walls or fences (and allow maintenance).

• Registered Users Posts: 37 GLENNFALLON

Thanks Luman

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

might you not want to leave the pipes more easily accessible in case of future maintenance concerns?
    also, maintenance engineers may just diagnose any issues as being due to the hedge anyway - it gives them an easy out. might be worth confirming with whomever installed them.

Advertisement