Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First time Driving in US - Advice?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Skittles80

Anyone recommendations for car hire in Orlando?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 udun

I spent a few weeks driving there last summer. My advice would be if you have any sort of smartphone buy an American sim card when you're there and use that as a GPS through Google maps. I got my sim card off t mobile or something for 50 dollars which was a 30 day sim only plan and came with 20gb of data I believe. Compared to the 17 dollars per day you would pay for a GPS with is much cheaper.

You will find it a lot easier driving there. The roads are wider and generally the traffic flows except for outside Boston which I found to be incredibly slow moving and filled with potholes. I'd also advise you to buy a toll tag with your rental as its a lot cheaper in the long run. (long Island toll in NY is 15 dollars for instance)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

Skittles80 wrote: »
    Anyone recommendations for car hire in Orlando?

Dont rent at the airport i found the rates there more expensive than in downtown Orlando. I booked a car for 5 days in September there it was €80 for 3 days downtown and the airport was coming up 2 to 3 times as much

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭jme2010

udun wrote: »
    if you have any sort of smartphone buy an American sim card when you're there and use that as a GPS through Google maps. I got my sim card off t mobile or something for 50 dollars which was a 30 day sim only plan and came with 20gb of data I believe. Compared to the 17 dollars per day you would pay for a GPS with is much cheaper.

If I was doing longer drives or out in Arizona / Utah deserts I would find a rental package that includes the GPS.

We lost phone signal a lot trough very remote areas and needed to turn on the GPS unit (thankfully we had it).

But if you were just staying in one built up state, yeah phone/sim would be better than paying extra for gps.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

jme2010 wrote: »
    If I was doing longer drives or out in Arizona / Utah deserts I would find a rental package that includes the GPS.

What use is a GPS when driving through a featureless desert? Surely you'd just buy a paper map of the region in a gas station, won't that do the job?

• Advertisement
Advertisement