Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Cork

Options
  • 12-02-2018 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hi myself and my husband are moving to Cork in May and wanted to know a little about it. For example where is the best place to live - near to the city but with country views, best for traffic commute and transport and also nice safe area. Would be great to know more. Originally from Tipp but moving back from living in England for two years. Any advice or help would be great and also how easy is it to make friends in Cork.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,395 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Urm.. is this the right forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 reillymurph

I thought I just had to put in the heading and it would bring me to the right forum

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to the Cork City forum.

dudara

:DThank you

• Registered Users Posts: 18,292 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Where will you be commuting to and for how long are you happy to drive to work?

• Advertisement

I am hoping to commute to the city. We have only one car so I will have to take the bus. I wanted to be near enough to the city to be able to go out at the weekends if we want yet have a bit of countryside too so a commuter town would be great. Thank you for answering my post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Are ye working?

Looking for jobs - should be both working in city. Husband is engineer so he will be working in one of the industrial estates around the city I guess

Looking for jobs - should be both working in city. Husband is engineer so he will be working in one of the industrial estates around the city I guess

What kind of engineer?
    What are you looking for?

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

A currently unemployed engineer?

• Advertisement

A manufacturing engineer and no we are working in the UK and hoping to be in Cork by May 2018. I am looking for a marketing job and my husband has an interview for a job tomorrow. Just wanted to know a bit about Cork before we go

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Passage West is a village just outside the city. Friendly pubs and great scenery.

Sounds really good. Will have a look thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

The commute to and from Passage is a pain imo. Traffic chaos in Douglas all the time more or less! Also looking st nice bill for a taxi to and from the city center... will ye renting or buying initially?

Renting initially for the first year at least

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Midleton is a nice place. If your husband ends up working in Little island or Carrigtowhill(lots of large industry in those areas) it's an easy commute on the N25. Also regular commuter train(23 minute journey) and bus services into Cork City. Bussling little town, lots of good restaurants and pubs along with a decent amount of shops with the coast on your doorstep. Recently moved here and have zero complaints about the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,292 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Would second Midleton. You mentioned transport links as something important. It has a great train and bus service to the city. As mentioned Little Island and Carrigtwohill have a lot of industrial employment and are very nearby. Good amenities in East Cork, short drive to the beach etc. Would avoid Passage as you've only one car. Bus service is dire.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Third Midleton.

Great spot with (for Cork, apart from Cobh line) great transport links.

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Would second Midleton. You mentioned transport links as something important. It has a great train and bus service to the city. As mentioned Little Island and Carrigtwohill have a lot of industrial employment and are very nearby. Good amenities in East Cork, short drive to the beach etc. Would avoid Passage as you've only one car. Bus service is dire.
    Thank you for that. I wonder if you know how much it costs for a taxi from Cork City to Midleton if we were coming home from a night out.

Thank you for that. Will look up Middleton now. Does anyone know what a taxi would cost to the city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Thank you for that. Will look up Middleton now. Does anyone know what a taxi would cost to the city.

google taxi Midleton. Ask the local Midleton cab company. It's easy :P

• Registered Users Posts: 21,385 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

It's 30 to Carrigtwohill so likely to be close to 50 for Midleton. Going out in city wouldn't be so necessary if living there though, enough to go to in the town

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Glanmire sounds perfect for you. 10 minutes to the city, lots of countryside too. Bus every half hour.

Ballincollig/Bishopstown worth looking at.
    Ballincollig is quite rural in setting, but the biggest town in Cork. 20min cycle into city centre.
    Dell have a large manufacturing site, Apple close by as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

I’d go with Balincolig or glanmire over Midelton aswell! That’s a fair journey out of town. Can I ask what age bracket ye are in?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

I'd definitely consider Ballincollig/Bishopstown over Midleton purely because of the tunnel and the nightmare it can often be.

Someone said the traffic from Passage is bad, it's not as bad as Midleton and if you fancied commuting by bike into town there is a very nice (and flat) path taking you all the way into the Marina/city.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

In addition to all the suburb ideas - Cork city is not exactly big, so if you live in the city you avoid the commuting worries, and realistically you are only 15 minutes away from countryside from pretty much anywhere in the city :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Mushy wrote: »
    It's 30 to Carrigtwohill so likely to be close to 50 for Midleton. Going out in city wouldn't be so necessary if living there though, enough to go to in the town

I agree there is a lot in town. Thought night life would be quite and would have to go into the city regularly but there is enough good pubs with music and late drinks to keep you entertained in Midleton.

OP it does depend where you both end up working. If say your husband gets a job in Little Island and you in the city centre for example then Midleton is a great choice. If ye get jobs say one in Kinsale and the other in Mahon then consider other areas.

Thank you everyone - your advice has been very helpful. We are looking forward to moving back to Ireland and living in Cork.

• Advertisement

MrMac84 wrote: »
    I’d go with Balincolig or glanmire over Midelton aswell! That’s a fair journey out of town. Can I ask what age bracket ye are in?
    We are late 30's

Advertisement