Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Cork

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

We are late 30's

Midleton is a fine town, there'll be enough restaurants and bars and this-that-the-other to entertain a couple your age. I would reiterate what one or two others have said though, that is look towards the Wilton/Bishopstown/Ballincollig side also if ye'll be working on that side of the tunnel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

We are late 30's

I’d still look closer to the city as others have mentioned. If ye were attending live at the marquee, opera house, Everyman, etc then getting from Midleton would be difficult and or costly. At least by renting here for awhile ye will get a feel for the place before looking at buying

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Living in Ballincollig at the moment, but moving away soon.

Area is very nice, but insanely expensive for somewhere so far from the city. So that's very much worth keeping in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Living in Ballincollig at the moment, but moving away soon.

Area is very nice, but insanely expensive for somewhere so far from the city. So that's very much worth keeping in mind.

True enough, Ballincollig is near-as-makes-no-difference as expensive as Bishopstown these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

I think it really matters where you work. if you can avoid crossing the tunnel at rush hour, that's a big advantage.
    Midleton is fantastic, but perhaps not ideal if you work in Ovens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 reillymurph

Thanks I would prefer to be near to the city to go out at weekends

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

I live in the city (close to the centre) and as my kids went through the teenage years, I cannot stress enough how easy it was for them to get to activities and to meet friends by walking places, instead of me playing taxi driver :-). Something to think about if you have children. Also - no parking costs or taxi costs when moving about town, easy walk to cinemas, theatres, etc. Cork is really very walkable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Heckler

I lived in Midleton for a couple of years and drove every day to and from mahon through the tunnel for work. 8-5pm. Traffic was never that much of an issue unless there was an incident in the tunnel. That said I travel the same route now but opposite and the traffic heading east seems a lot heavier these days at rush hour.

The train service is very handy but the last train back from kent station is around 11pm which can put the brakes on a night out in Cork city. A taxi used to cost me 40euros from the city centre to the far end of midelton. I always agreed the price with the driver before setting off. Never got the bus to or from.

Very nice area with plenty of pubs and restaurants. Woods and beaches close by. I enjoyed living there.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭brianwalshcork

The tunnel traffic is painful east / west morning and evening, no doubt about it,especially if you have to travel at leak times, but with the new interchange work starting at the end of the year there is light at the end of the...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,037 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I'd look at renting in the city centre and get a feel for the city.
    Cork is weird in that suburban property is generally more expensive than city center residential property.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

darkdubh wrote:
    Passage West is a village just outside the city. Friendly pubs and great scenery.

I'm currently in process of buying house in Passage. What's pubs would you recommend if you don't mind me asking?

I'd look at renting in the city centre and get a feel for the city.
    Cork is weird in that suburban property is generally more expensive than city center residential property.
    Thanks do you know what areas are okay in the city - not too  rough that I could look at. Just that I don't know Cork very well

Diziet wrote: »
    I live in the city (close to the centre) and as my kids went through the teenage years, I cannot stress enough how easy it was for them to get to activities and to meet friends by walking places, instead of me playing taxi driver :-). Something to think about if you have children. Also - no parking costs or taxi costs when moving about town, easy walk to cinemas, theatres, etc. Cork is really very walkable.
    Thanks for that. I don't have kids but would like to rent in the city or suburbs. Do you know areas that would be nice and not too rough. Really would appreciate your input on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭frefrefre

Diziet wrote: »
    I live in the city (close to the centre) and as my kids went through the teenage years, I cannot stress enough how easy it was for them to get to activities and to meet friends by walking places, instead of me playing taxi driver :-). Something to think about if you have children. Also - no parking costs or taxi costs when moving about town, easy walk to cinemas, theatres,
    etc. Cork is really very walkable.

Where is relatively safe and affordable for families near the city please?

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭what the hell!

I bought a year ago in Blackpool and couldn't be happier. It might get a bad rep sometimes but thankfully I've had no issues. Granted the area mightn't be as well kept as others but you will get a better deal and are only a short walk into the city and you have Blackpool shopping centre across the road which has everything you need. Cinema, gym and all of the shops. No need for taxis and the bus service is quite good.

I bought a year ago in Blackpool and couldn't be happier. It might get a bad rep sometimes but thankfully I've had no issues. Granted the area mightn't be as well kept as others but you will get a better deal and are only a short walk into the city and you have Blackpool shopping centre across the road which has everything you need. Cinema, gym and all of the shops. No need for taxis and the bus service is quite good.
    Thank you that s very helpful.

Greenmount is another area that you can walk to the city from and has regularly bus’s etc

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Kerry25x

I second this, Blackpool is a great location if you want all amenities close by and the city is just a 15 minute stroll away.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,037 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

There aren't really many rough areas in Cork and nowhere close to the centre would be considered rough.

There are a few dodgy estates but they're out of town.

MrMac84 wrote: »
    The commute to and from Passage is a pain imo. Traffic chaos in Douglas all the time more or less! Also looking st nice bill for a taxi to and from the city center... will ye renting or buying initially?
    Hi you helped us out with a post moving to Cork. We are now moving on Saturday and my husband is starting a job in Ringaskiddy 14th May. We have been looking at Renting a house in Douglas or Rochestown as they have good access to the city where I want to look for work and Ringaskiddy. Do you think that would be good or is the traffic that bad. I would be taking the bus and my husband driving. Would appreciate any help. Thanks

• Advertisement

Hi you helped us out with a post moving to Cork. We are now moving on Saturday and my husband is starting a job in Ringaskiddy 14th May. We have been looking at Renting a house in Douglas or Rochestown as they have good access to the city where I want to look for work and Ringaskiddy. Do you think that would be good or is the traffic that bad. I would be taking the bus and my husband driving. Would appreciate any help. Thanks

Traffic in Douglas is generally very bad but given the areas ye are working it’s the best place

Thanks for that. Will take into account

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Aye Douglas will tick a lot of boxes for you.

Not sure if its relevant, or what you yourself hope to work at, but if youre looking for a gaff, keeping to the North-East of the M28 upgrade works, (putting you in Rochestown/Monkstown/Passage) might spare a headache over the coming year or two if working in Ringaskiddy, traffic might be brutal...if the works ever get the goahead.

http://www.n28cork-ringaskiddy.com

Advertisement