Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overground power to shed

Options
  • 12-02-2018 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭

A few months off getting anyone in to do this but wanted to see if I will need to dig up the garden or not.. I want to get power run to my shed for a light and double socket.

I have a concrete boundary wall that which runs from my house to the shed, can the cable be run along this and clipped in place? If so, will it need to be armoured or will NYMJ suffice? Finally, if it can be run along the wall (not ground level) will they need to use conduit also?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

mloc123 wrote: »
    A few months off getting anyone in to do this but wanted to see if I will need to dig up the garden or not.. I want to get power run to my shed for a light and double socket.

I have a concrete boundary wall that which runs from my house to the shed, can the cable be run along this and clipped in place? If so, will it need to be armoured or will NYMJ suffice? Finally, if it can be run along the wall (not ground level) will they need to use conduit also?

How long is the cable run? You could use some 20mm plastic conduit clipped to the wall, as long as its not likely to get high impacts.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

How long is the cable run? You could use some 20mm plastic conduit clipped to the wall, as long as its not likely to get high impacts.

It is a 20m run (L shaped) from house to shed. Direct route underground would be 10m. The issue with digging a trench will be the last 2-3m which is concrete.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭colliemcc

Along the wall in Armored cable would be best, Its what I would always use just in case a child scrapped into it on a metal car/buggy or bike and cut into the nymj cable.
    2.5 armored cable 20m will not be expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

NYM-J is not a UV tolerant cable and is not designed for external use. SWA is the appropriate cable for this and is suitable for direct burial. It absolutely must be correctly glanded, however, with the armour earthed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Tuco88

NYY-J for a UV rated version.

Go with the SWA idea, and will look nice clipped on a block wall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Tuco88 wrote: »
    NYY-J for a UV rated version.
    Indeed - commonly known as Hi-Tuff. However as it is not armoured I still wouldn't like to see it buried.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Thanks for all the feedback. SWA clipped to the wall sewms like the tidiest and probably cheapest option.

I will see if I can find an electritian interested in the job next month, potentially running and clipping the cable myself if somebody will terminate it and sign off.

Advertisement