Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tree pruner

Options
  • 12-02-2018 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭

I need one of these -

https://www.lidl.ie/en/special-offers.htm?articleId=7108

Has anyone bought one in Lidl?

This one is different from the type I am familiar with - the ones with a pull rope.

Is this type any good? Any advice appreciated.

cheers

Comments

peadar76 wrote: »
    I need one of these -

https://www.lidl.ie/en/special-offers.htm?articleId=7108

Has anyone bought one in Lidl?

This one is different from the type I am familiar with - the ones with a pull rope.

Is this type any good? Any advice appreciated.

cheers

Is there a specific reason why you need the gears. I have a pruning saw on an extendable handle with no gears or ropes. I can't find where I got it at the moment but it was €25.

Works great and is very easy to cut with. You can take off the handle as well which is handy

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I got one like that. It worked OK, but in the end I just ended up using a ladder instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭peadar76

I don't know if I need gears, but I don't want just a saw, I want the pruners as well. I don't think the saw would work very well on the thinner branches. What do the gears do? Are they instead of the pull rope that these usually have?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

What do the gears do? Are they instead of the pull rope that these usually have?
    Yes, they do the same thing, more or less. They apply mechanical advantage, so that a large movement of the sleeve causes a small movement in the shears, multiplying the force.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,834 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

The manual for the pruner can be downloaded from here and might give close up views of the mechanism.

• Advertisement

I don't know if I need gears, but I don't want just a saw, I want the pruners as well. I don't think the saw would work very well on the thinner branches. What do the gears do? Are they instead of the pull rope that these usually have?

Yeah a pruners is handy. On motion and the branch is gone. The saw can handle any thickness though but a pruners would be quicker. The reason I suggested a saw without gears is that there is less that can go wrong and less maintenance. I do commercial work and any above my head the saw will deal with..i would use a pruner down low alright

Advertisement