Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lit up cross near Birr

• 12-02-2018 4:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭

I was visiting Birr yesterday. While I was driving home just outside of Riverstown on the road to Carrig I noticed a shining object up on the hillside to the right which turned out to be a cross. I had never noticed this before although I'm told it's been there a very long time, as in decades. Does anyone know the name of it and the story behind it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Probably the Ku Klux Klan. They have a very active branch in Offaly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 72 ✭✭DaveR1000

I remember noticing it a few years back too and wondered. Fairly sure its in Tipp

• Registered Users Posts: 17 gunner099

Knockshegowna hill, or Hill of fairies I think its up since the 1950s, Great view from up there .Years ago you could go to the top but its fenced off now, there are old ruins up there too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 72 ✭✭DaveR1000

"The most conspicuous landmark in the parish is the hill of Knockshegowna, which rises 701ft. above the surrounding countryside. All the old manuscripts refer to it as Cnoc Sí Una - the principal home of of the 'Faerie Queen' of the O'Carrolls of Ely. The English poet, Spenser, made Knockshegowna the dwelling place of Una, the heroine of his poem the Faerie Queen.
    On the summit of Knockshegowna, where a breathtaking panoramic view of the whole parish and beyond can be enjoyed, is the illuminated cross which was erected in 1949 to commerate the introduction of rural electrification into the parish."

from http://myhome.iolfree.ie/~arrow/knockshegowna.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭burnsey1987

Thanks gunner & dave

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭RINO87

gunner099 wrote: »
    Knockshegowna hill, or Hill of fairies I think its up since the 1950s, Great view from up there .Years ago you could go to the top but its fenced off now, there are old ruins up there too.

It's not really fenced off as such but is on private land which is part of Bike Park Ireland.
    A few of the trails start from the top right beside the cross actually, and you and your bike get trucked up right to the top! Cool place for a day out, lots of trails, even for beginners. Havent been for a while but i think now they have a cafe, changing rooms, camping etc..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,089 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

Many years ago while driving back from Limerick, I saw this cross and didn't know what the hell it was. I think the village I pulled in the car to have a look was Ballingarry, can't be sure. Where I pulled in the car was a house or so I thought until I got out. It was a pub with no name over the door.

There was nobody around to ask about the cross, it brought a shiver to my spine and my first thoughts were as the poster above the KKK. Anyway it's worth a look if you're in the vicinity.....after dark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

The cross is actually fairly small, you can see it here from 00:30 to 00:40 :

But it's well placed and fairly bright!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭daithi55

its open to the public now.. you can walk the hill and visit the on site cafe.. a lovely place

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Snowc

Often passed it and always wanted to get a closer look thanks for the heads up

• Advertisement
Advertisement