Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Compost

Options
  • 12-02-2018 5:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭

Does anyone else notice how the quality of compost has deteriorated. I've tried a few bags and they're rubbish, stones, bits of trees and what looks like straw.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

any compost in particular?
    we never buy general purpose compost, but get farmyard manure instead, due to the peat harvesting issue.

i did once find a workman's glove in a bag though.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭starlight09

any compost in particular?
    we never buy general purpose compost, but get farmyard manure instead, due to the peat harvesting issue.

i did once find a workman's glove in a bag though.

Oh I better not mention names, I could get into trouble.
    I do a lot of seed sowing, growing flowers and plants mostly.
    In relation to the farmyard manure, I'm very interested. Do you put it around your shrubs in the garden? Is it ready to use when you get it? How do you store it?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

My local supplier for mulchy stuff is King. I recently bought a few bulk bags of wood chips from them and that worked out well.

http://www.greenking.ie/products.html

I've not used their peat-free compost, but they do have piles of it at their recycling facility and it looks OK.

Not convinced about the "chemical free" claim, don't see how they could guarantee that with the widespread use/abuse of glyphosate.

edit: I'd also be interested in finding a supplier of rotted manure in Wicklow/South Dublin. There are loads of horsey places but I've read that you need a trailer
    to take it away and the fresh stuff is burny.

edit #2: there's this place in Cork, €133 per cubic metre bag
    http://geeup.ie/

Advertisement