Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Problem with Eir eFibre - connection is constantly dropping

• 12-02-2018 7:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've been having this issue for months now, but it has got progressively worse lately - the signal to my router keeps dropping and sometimes the router reboots. It's really annoying as it's constantly happening, must have happened at least 10 times today already!

Also, I've noticed sometimes that even though a speedtest tells me that I am receiving good speeds, every device I have runs slow (at a crawl basically) and I have to reboot the router.

Can someone advise on a solution, please?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

BandMember wrote: »
    Hi,

I've been having this issue for months now, but it has got progressively worse lately - the signal to my router keeps dropping and sometimes the router reboots. It's really annoying as it's constantly happening, must have happened at least 10 times today already!

Also, I've noticed sometimes that even though a speedtest tells me that I am receiving good speeds, every device I have runs slow (at a crawl basically) and I have to reboot the router.

Can someone advise on a solution, please?

Thanks.
    Close your account!

Just spent 3 weeks with nearly daily phone calls and got no where with same issue. Trust me you will save money in the long run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭BandMember

It's dropped again since I posted my last post! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭eir: Thomas

Hi BandMember ,

I'm very sorry to hear about the issues you've been having and I apologise for any inconvenience caused. 

Please feel free to PM me your full name and account number, I would be happy to look into this for you.

Thanks 

Thomas

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭unreg999

It seems to be a very common problem & it's a total head wrecker...
    I got a new connection installed 3 weeks ago & the first 10 days it was like that- connection dropping up to 40 times a day for anything up to half an hour each time!
    I wasted hours of my time on the phone to eir running through diagnostics etc 'reboot the modem it should be fixed now etc' 'there's too much traffic going through the modem & it's causing a bottle neck etc' but in the end a technician came out & changed the wall mount (the bit with the phone plug on it)?
    Seemed to work ok after that... For less than a day when the router just died... They sent me out a new one but I had no internet for 5 days...
    It's been working ok for a few days now but we'll see... I'm not really impressed with it at all though, too many problems already?!
    Then when I went to email customer care to express my concerns, guess what, the email system is down!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 MunsterDos01

I've been in the same boat as you. The last 3 weeks I've had the broadband and tv drop out several time a day, sometimes several times an hour. The strength of the broadband has been half of what I should be getting.
    I've been on the chat/phone numerous occasions and all I have been hung up on/ told my account has been terminated and then hung up on / fobbed off /  told to reset the modem and wait 24hours to see if it improves. They have changed the modem 3 times in this 3 weeks but won't upgrade the fault because they say the line seems to be okay. The last time they sent me a modem I was told they will follow up with a phone call and they have not.

I then got a letter to say my service charge will be increased. I'm happy they sent me that because I will now be cancelling my account.

Absolutely appalling service.

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for your response, I have sent you those details via PM now.

To all the other posters, thank you for your input and for letting me know that others are experiencing the issue as well. Can I ask how (or if) you managed to resolve it?

Hi BandMember ,

I'm very sorry to hear about the issues you've been having and I apologise for any inconvenience caused. 

Please feel free to PM me your full name and account number, I would be happy to look into this for you.

Thanks 

Thomas

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for your response, I have sent you those details via PM now.

To all the other posters, thank you for your input and for letting me know that others are experiencing the issue as well. Can I ask how (or if) you managed to resolve it?

Hi BandMember ,

Thanks 

Thomas
    I have responded to your PM.

Thanks

Thomas

Hi Thomas,

I've sent you another PM.

Regards,

Hi Thomas,

I've sent you another PM.

Regards,
    I have responded to your PM.

Thanks

Thomas

• Advertisement

Just to give anyone who is interested an update on this....

I sent a PM to Thomas, who said that he checked and that as far as he was concerned, my line looked fine. I insisted that it wasn't, so he said to ring Tech Support. Spoke to a really helpful chap there who told me straight away that he could see that my connection had dropped 38 times in the last 24 hours alone!! :eek:

He tried to run a few tests, but was unsuccessful due to the problems with my line, so he arranged for an engineer to call out and that promised that he would do so within 4 working days. He actually arrived less than 48 hours later and spotted the issue in a couple of minutes - there was a tear/cut in the line from the pole to my house which was basically hanging by a thread. So, he managed to fix it and make sure it was stable. Everything was sorted in less than 30 minutes, and it's been perfect since.

I informed Thomas of this via PM, and also asked him to check that my line was receiving the correct speed (as it should be faster than it is) and he said, again, that it looked fine from his side but to ring Tech Support if I needed further assistance. Again, I did and they sorted it straight away.

TL;DR There was a cut/tear in my line which was causing the connection to constantly drop, Rep here was of no assistance whatsoever on my queries, rang Tech Support and they got everything sorted for me in no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 MunsterDos01

I sent a PM to Thomas, who said that he checked and that as far as he was concerned, my line looked fine. I insisted that it wasn't, so he said to ring Tech Support. Spoke to a really helpful chap there who told me straight away that he could see that my connection had dropped 38 times in the last 24 hours alone!! :eek:

He tried to run a few tests, but was unsuccessful due to the problems with my line, so he arranged for an engineer to call out and that promised that he would do so within 4 working days. He actually arrived less than 48 hours later and spotted the issue in a couple of minutes - there was a tear/cut in the line from the pole to my house which was basically hanging by a thread. So, he managed to fix it and make sure it was stable. Everything was sorted in less than 30 minutes, and it's been perfect since.

I informed Thomas of this via PM, and also asked him to check that my line was receiving the correct speed (as it should be faster than it is) and he said, again, that it looked fine from his side but to ring Tech Support if I needed further assistance. Again, I did and they sorted it straight away.

TL;DR There was a cut/tear in my line which was causing the connection to constantly drop, Rep here was of no assistance whatsoever on my queries, rang Tech Support and they got everything sorted for me in no time.
    Thanks for giving us an update. I'm having the exact same issues as you.
    I'm on my 3rd modem from them in the last month. It can't keep being the modems. My internet strength is half of what I was getting before christmas and they still tell me the line looks fine. They were to ring me back but still no phone call. Sounds like I will have to ring them myself and demand someone come out and fix it. Either that or I cancel completely

Thanks for giving us an update. I'm having the exact same issues as you.
    I'm on my 3rd modem from them in the last month. It can't keep being the modems. My internet strength is half of what I was getting before christmas and they still tell me the line looks fine. They were to ring me back but still no phone call. Sounds like I will have to ring them myself and demand someone come out and fix it. Either that or I cancel completely
    Hi MunsterDos01 ,

Thanks 

Thomas

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Bobhallen

I have the same problem and it’s driving me mad. I cannot work or watch tv because it is also internet fed.
    Does anyone know if this is grounds for breaking the contract so I can get a supplier who’s system works properly. I’ve tried ring, emailing and webchating but I’m getting nowhere.
    Is there an ombudsman or something?

Bobhallen wrote: »
    I have the same problem and it’s driving me mad. I cannot work or watch tv because it is also internet fed.
    Does anyone know if this is grounds for breaking the contract so I can get a supplier who’s system works properly. I’ve tried ring, emailing and webchating but I’m getting nowhere.
    Read my post above - I rang the 1901 number and they could see there was a fault on the line immediately. Engineer was out within 24 hours, had it fixed in no time and it's been flawless ever since! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 798 ✭✭✭eir: Grainne

Bobhallen wrote: »
    Read my post above - I rang the 1901 number and they could see there was a fault on the line immediately. Engineer was out within 24 hours, had it fixed in no time and it's been flawless ever since! :)
    Glad to hear you got this sorted BandMember. 

Thanks for letting us know. 

Grainne

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 853 ✭✭✭duffysfarm

my work broadband has been dropping constantly over the last three days. i called eir on 1901 yesterday afternoon and it was fixed temporarily. came back to work today and same problem called and the person who i spoke to gave me instructions on how to log in and try and fix it myself! i am not paying eir for broadband that doesnt work and then try and fix it myself!!!! can anyone tell me what is going on or help me?

Advertisement