Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microsoft access newbie.

Options
  • 12-02-2018 7:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭

I am new to access and need to sort something asap. I have two tables . On the first is two fields barcode and title with data in both. In the next table I have 4 fields. Barcode , title , category and qty. These are currently blank but what I need to do is enter barcode and then for the title field to auto populate (not a drop-down list) . I would manually fill in category and qty fields.Is this easy to do. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭brianwalshcork

So you want to look up the title based on a barcode?

How are you entering the barcode? With a scanner? Usually barcode readers include, or can be configured to include a carraige return, which means that when you scan the barcode into the text box, the valid event will fire. You can add lookup code to search the two field table for the barcode and return the text door the title, which you would then use to populate the title in your 4 field table.

(That’s not specific to access)

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭brianwalshcork

An alternative design would be to just store the barcode in 4 field table and set up a relationship between the two tables that would pull the title text from the two field table when required. It would be a cleaner design, but it’s not clear from the OP as to whether this is what you want/need

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭tritriagain

So you want to look up the title based on a barcode?

How are you entering the barcode? With a scanner? Usually barcode readers include, or can be configured to include a carraige return, which means that when you scan the barcode into the text box, the valid event will fire. You can add lookup code to search the two field table for the barcode and return the text d i8oor the title, which you would then use to populate the title in your 4 field table.

(That’s not specific to access)
    I managed to add a look up table but it's only giving me a drop down table to select title it doesn't populate title for me. Don't know what I'm doing really.

Advertisement