Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric ireland Scamming & Double Charging

Options
  • 12-02-2018 7:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭

Moved into a new house - switched to Electric Ireland, the rep Patrick never informed me that I need a deactivation code from previous company, he told me it would switch the same day. 

A week later and I am still topping up a pre pay meter AND being charged from Electric Ireland 

I ring and cannot get Patrick, but get Eric the supervisor. An extremely rude man who doesn't understand anything beyond his script. He basically told me that I should have known to get the deativation code myself. (Why would I know this?)

Then i ring and get the code and a week has lapsed. Electric Ireland are trying to charge me for a week of Electricity that I paid to a different company. Eric says that because I was signed up on the 7th of Feb , I should be charged from then, even though I am still not getting electricity from Electric Ireland.

It seems Electric Ireland are scamming people by double charging and not telling them the basic requirements when switching. 

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 361 Verified rep Electric Ireland: Aoife

Hi damianch,

We are sorry to read of your unhappiness with your customer experience.

A change of supplier needs to be requested before a deactivation code can be issued by the other provider. We sincerely regret if you were not advised that you would need to get this code and that you should not continue to top-up the meter. It normally takes 24-48 hours before this request is received by the other provider. As soon as they receive the notification that their customer has switched, they are required to provide this code.

The change of supplier date takes place on the day that the request is made. As such, the other provider are not entitled to bill you for any usage after this time. As there can be a crossover period when money is being paid into the meter, the customer can request their old provider to refund them any overpayment.

Again, we sincerely regret any confusion.

If there is anything else we can help you with, please don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks,
    Aoife

Advertisement