Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To pick a team

2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭gstack166

I’d actually compare the 49er’s to Liverpool. Dynamic (young?) coach’s trying to return former glories Turning castoffs into superstars?? (Jimmy G & Salah)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,430 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Cowboys fans still living off past glories though :D

I dont know a single cowboys fan that fits that description TBH.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭collie0708

No idea why but I have decided that I’m gonna follow the patriots as my team......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Glory hunting would be a good "why"!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,896 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Glory hunting would be a good "why"!
    It's possible that he just likes them, likes their uniform, some of the players, maybe Gronk. It doesn't mean because a player decides to follow the Pats that he is glory hunting.

• Advertisement

eagle eye wrote: »
    It's possible that he just likes them, likes their uniform, some of the players, maybe Gronk. It doesn't mean because a player decides to follow the Pats that he is glory hunting.

But it's likely though.

---

In other news, the last year as I've been watching a lot of NFL every weekend in the missus' house she started to get into it and has actively been watching the preseason, so the conversation has turned the last couple of weeks of what team she should start following.

Anyway, the no brainer for me was that she supports the Eagles on account of her spending her formative years growing up in Philly .. but no, the SB 'celebrations' left her cold and she thinks their fans are scum. So that's them gone.

Then I suggested perhaps the Jags given her weird obsession with Bortles. But again she vetoed that.

So after much discussion last Monday night while watching MNF she came around to the idea that perhaps the Browns were the team for her. I explained why she should avoid such a thing and that even the Pats or Giants would be better for the soul but she's not for turning.

So there you have it. My GF is a Browns fan. This means I have to watch Browns games this season. On purpose That don't have the Broncos in them. FFS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

the no brainer for me was that she supports the Eagles
    Glory hunting? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

The Pats play a good, fluent, attractive form of the sport - which the better teams tend to. I started following the Packers after my first game watching the league in 2002 because of a thriller they were in, but likely would have gone for someone like them or the Colts (with Peyton Manning), Rams (GSOTurf) or Raiders (it was the year Rich Gannon won MVP) otherwise because it was easily accessible and fun. The Pats in those days were extremely effective of course, but were not much 'fun' to watch in my eyes as they were playing too patient and cautious a style of play for me to be able to appreciate having just picked up the sport and wanting to see 40 yard bombs and explosive runners.

A friend of mine who picked up the sport went with the Rams, poor fecker then had to put up with 15 odd years of awfulness once the Marc Bulger experiment failed... but he stuck with them, and now they're probably the most exciting team in the league based off last year's play and the potential for boom or bust this season.

So to my mind it's not glory hunting to jump on to a good team, so long as you put up with the bad times after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

So there you have it. My GF is a Browns fan. This means I have to watch Browns games this season. On purpose That don't have the Broncos in them. FFS.
    You need to show her these (there are a few of them)... I doubt it's intentional, but I love how this works vs Man Utd's Old Trafford being referred to at the 'Theatre of Dreams'. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

But it's likely though.

---

In other news, the last year as I've been watching a lot of NFL every weekend in the missus' house she started to get into it and has actively been watching the preseason, so the conversation has turned the last couple of weeks of what team she should start following.

Anyway, the no brainer for me was that she supports the Eagles on account of her spending her formative years growing up in Philly .. but no, the SB 'celebrations' left her cold and she thinks their fans are scum. So that's them gone.

Then I suggested perhaps the Jags given her weird obsession with Bortles. But again she vetoed that.

So after much discussion last Monday night while watching MNF she came around to the idea that perhaps the Browns were the team for her. I explained why she should avoid such a thing and that even the Pats or Giants would be better for the soul but she's not for turning.

As a Cowboys fan I tip my hat to that young lady ;)

• Advertisement

Glory hunting? ;)

Selectively quoting eh... :P

Yeah, I wouldn't condone it normally bit she did grow up in Philly so I think it's valid.

However... The f**king Browns!

Billy86 wrote: »
    You need to show her these (there are a few of them)... I doubt it's intentional, but I love how this works vs Man Utd's Old Trafford being referred to at the 'Theatre of Dreams'. :p

Excellent shout

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Selectively quoting eh... :P
    True, it just stood out :D
    Wentz (hopefully coming back as good) is a huge reason to follow them. May have been MVP but for the injury last year, and as per Billy, that type of exciting player is a damn good reason to follow a team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 466 ✭✭L.S.F

So, the OP officially a Cardinals fan then??....

True, it just stood out :D
    Wentz (hopefully coming back as good) is a huge reason to follow them. May have been MVP but for the injury last year, and as per Billy, that type of exciting player is a damn good reason to follow a team.

None of those arguments washed with her.

She watched the Factory of Sadness and it has solidified it. Gawd.

Advertisement