Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir Fibre Broadband

Options
  • 12-02-2018 10:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭

I am posting here after numerous unsuccessful calls to Eir and an unsuccessful post on the Eir section of boards.ie

Can anyone advise exactly what is involved with the install of Fibre Broadband.
    Does a new line need to come into the home? Can this line be brought in were the existing telephone line comes through? In other words, is it necessary to drill a hole in the exterior wall of the house?

My phone socket is about 12 feet away from the point of entry. Does this require connection from the point of entry to the phone socket?

Is there a requirement for a power supply at point of entry and how will this be done?

I am an existing Eir broadband customer. Would it be a case of changing the phone socket only?

Hopefully someone can help, Eir havent a notion!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

That is very much dependent on whether or not you mean 0-100Mb eFibre or eFibre Ultimate at 150-1000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭parishsavings

ED E wrote: »
    That is very much dependent on whether or not you mean 0-100Mb eFibre or eFibre Ultimate at 150-1000.

0-100Mb eFibre

New socket on the wall, existing wiring.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

They never should have called VDSL or ADSL2 fibre confusion reigns.
    Yes if it's fibre from the cab (really should be called fibre before the cab) it'll use all existing copper cables unless you have 40 year old flat pair telephone cable overhead that will be replaced. Otherwise it'll be the same.
    If it's coming from a big chunky black box on a telegraph pole it'll be a complete separate line carrying a fibre optic cable which will be put through a wall and located next to the nearest power socket. Two white boxes and a jangle of cables shall emanate from which which will carry broadband to the router

babi-hrse wrote: »
    They never should have called VDSL or ADSL2 fibre confusion reigns.
    Yes if it's fibre from the cab (really should be called fibre before the cab)

Its FTTC, Fibre TO THE Cab.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 joekirr

Having finally got eir fibre broadband into my house was only half the battle.

EIR'S IT DEPARTMENT AND CUSTOMER SUPPORT HAS GOT TO BE THE BIGGEST EMBARRASSMENT TO ANY COMPANY IN THE WORLD.

THEIR ONLINE CUSTOMER SUPPORT IS BASED IN INDIA AND YOU MAY AS WELL TALK TO YOUR DOG. EITHER THEIR ENGLISH IS SO POOR OR ELSE THEY ARE READING FROM A SCRIPT.

CLOSER TO HOME TRYING TO LOG ONTO YOUR EIR ACCOUNT HAVING GOT EIR FIBRE BROADBAND. EITHER THEIR SYSTEM IS DOWN THE WHOLE TIME OR IS JUST NOT WORKING.

SHAME ON YOU EIR.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

Looks like Eir hasn't changed in the 2 years since I left....!

TT

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Mr Gumby

My experience with Eir customer support was very different. In all cases I was speaking to reps from Dublin and they tried their best, however, any problems I had came from their web site which can only be described as poor. Info was there but finding it was another matter. In my case I started to fill out an application to try and find terms and conditions and then found I couldn't clear my cart and it continued downhill.

joekirr wrote: »
    EIR'S IT DEPARTMENT AND CUSTOMER SUPPORT HAS GOT TO BE THE BIGGEST EMBARRASSMENT TO ANY COMPANY IN THE WORLD.

Dublin Limerick and Cork.

Indian company who Eir have just announced are getting fired but some staff who are of indian heritage will be doubtless TUPEd into the inhouse operation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ajcireland

I have been trying to get Fibre to the home since before Christmas. The technician came out to do the install and said the DP light in the cabinet wasn't on and he couldn't go ahead with the install. it would take a couple of weeks to rectify.
    I recently tried again to get the install carried out only to find that the fault had not been rectified and that a work order has been raised for 15th MARCH!!
    do they not want my business???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭ajmull

God help you if you're dealing with Eir about any fault. It took two months of phone calls, emails, letters, complaints, explanations and three new modems along with 4 or 5 visits before a tech who knew his job diagnosed and fixed the fault in the cabinet in 20 minutes.

Advertisement