Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gender biased Adverts

• 12-02-2018 10:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭cfuserkildare

Why is it acceptable to publicly discuss feminine hygene issue, but not Any form of masculine hygene or health issues?

Is this yet another case of Feminism Out of Control?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

Sorry about your hygiene issues OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Its okay, they'll all soon be on The Island.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Sesame

And why are any ads for constipation or gastric issues with women. Don't men ever get those problems?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

I've never seen any evidence that it is publicly unacceptable to discuss health issues that are specific to men.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

Welcome to the Fempire

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Why is it acceptable to publicly discuss feminine hygene issue, but not Any form of masculine hygene or health issues?

Because women will buy products for the issue while men won't. It's called marketing and trade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,337 ✭✭✭Archeron

Ninthlife wrote: »
    Welcome to the Fempire

God, I read that in Femputers Voice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

What hygiene issues are unique to men that aren't being discussed publicly? I see plenty of ads for mens shaving and anti pespirant at least
    I think theres lots of gender bias in advertising but I think this is a poor example of it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

I want ads for dick cheese issues.

"As a real man, on the go, you don't have time for smegma. Try Smegmaton and say hello to a life without problems under the hood".

Ad featuring cool dude living life to the max.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

What are some male hygiene issues or medical issues that its not acceptable to discuss?

I've seen plenty of ads for male shaving and hygiene products, ads for medication to help erectile dysfunction, male baldness, low testosterone, even ones for a product to help itchy sweaty balls.

The what about the men posts which are usually a thinly veiled excuse to bitch about women or evil "feminists" are getting tiresome at this point

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

KungPao wrote: »

"As a real man, on the go, you don't have time for smegma. Try Smegmaton and say hello to a life without problems under the hood".

Smegmatron. A transformer like mascot used in advertising campaigns..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

What does feminism under control look like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

What does feminism under control look like?

woman-making-sandwich-picture-id87312492?s=612x612

joke!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Yea, those sandwich fillings are a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

no , its just a case of someone being offended his man flu is never discussed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

some of the insurance ones are shocking

makes all men out to be some sort of idiots
    imagine if an advert did that to women?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭jeonahr

Pretty sure women get smega too but I've never seen ads for it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Is it only guys that suffer from going nose blind?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Is it only guys that suffer from going nose blind?

No, they have, at least, two versions with women and smells from their dog & cat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Anyone else ever notice that men are made out to be stupid and hapless in ads and women always have to save the day

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Anyone else ever notice that men are made out to be stupid and hapless in ads and women always have to save the day

Mr muscle the obvious exception ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

Have you ever seen the Jif adverts where it's made out that all women dream of is turning into a princess fairy so we can clean the ****ing house, why aren't there any ads with men cleaning the oven or mopping the floor!?

Have you ever seen the Jif adverts where it's made out that all women dream of is turning into a princess fairy so we can clean the ****ing house, why aren't there any ads with men cleaning the oven or mopping the floor!?

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭PistolsAtDawn

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    What are some male hygiene issues or medical issues that its not acceptable to discuss?

I've seen plenty of ads for male shaving and hygiene products, ads for medication to help erectile dysfunction, male baldness, low testosterone, even ones for a product to help itchy sweaty balls.

The what about the men posts which are usually a thinly veiled excuse to bitch about women or evil "feminists" are getting tiresome at this point

I'm not tired of them, your opinion differs to mine, i'm incredibly offended.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Ballsstucktothelegitus. Happens to 11 out of ten men.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭PistolsAtDawn

Anyone who has an opinion different to mine offends me.

If you offend me you must immediately resign from your job.

I'm an asshole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

There is an ad for a womens clothing website called Joom doing the rounds at the moment. Basically it shows a fat, hairy gob****e walking into the bedroom and his slim good looking wife is admiring herself in the mirror in a sexy dress.
    He asks some dumb question and asks her who is the other guy she is seeing and she shoves her phone in his face showing him the Joom website at which point he falls on his arse over some boxes.
    Not that I give a rats, but if the roles were reversed in this ad, people would say it encourages spousal abuse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Women have canestan, for when there is a little extra cheese on the taco

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Sesame wrote: »
    And why are any ads for constipation or gastric issues with women. Don't men ever get those problems?

You... want ads about unisex treatments for constipation to feature men more? That’s a niche desire!

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    some of the insurance ones are shocking

makes all men out to be some sort of idiots
    imagine if an advert did that to women?

Men much more regularly get treated as idiots in ads.
    Women much more regularly get treated like sex objects in ads.*

Both genders have problems with their portrayal in advertising.

*Wonder if someone will bring up the nearly 30 year old diet coke ad in order to refute this point.

This thread was more fun when it was lighthearted.

Fr_Dougal wrote: »

It’s only 33 posts long! Barely even got started! :D Shtop reminiscing about the olden days. :P

_Dara_ wrote: »
    It’s only 33 posts long! Barely even got started! :D Shtop reminiscing about the olden days. :P

Don’t oppress me, woman!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    , low testosterone, even ones for a product to help itchy sweaty balls.

What channels are you watching? Anti sweaty balls ad on prime time TV? I think not.

I've seen an ad for a product for women who think their **** does stink but don't want anyone to know called VIPoo. Thought it was a joke but they sell it in Dunnes!!!

• Advertisement

I'll see your Mr Muscle and raise you Barry Scott of Cillet Bang fame. Or Mr One **** is Plenty which manages to be a racial stereotype into the bargain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭PandaPoo

professore wrote: »
    What channels are you watching? Anti sweaty balls ad on prime time TV? I think not.

I've seen an ad for a product for women who think their **** does stink but don't want anyone to know called VIPoo. Thought it was a joke but they sell it in Dunnes!!!

I've heard it really works! I might pick some up :o I love pooing in public toilets but the thoughts of pooing in other people's houses is horrifying to me. Imagine visiting someone and leaving a whopper stinker in the jax!

Men much more regularly get treated as idiots in ads.
    Women much more regularly get treated like sex objects in ads.*

Both genders have problems with their portrayal in advertising.

*Wonder if someone will bring up the nearly 30 year old diet coke ad in order to refute this point.

What ads treat women like sex objects? Examples please. Can't think of one. Women in ads are strangely asexual or more like men these days. A crying shame. A few of the Hunky Dory ads being the only exception I can think of and they caused mass hysteria.

PandaPoo wrote: »
    Imagine visiting someone and leaving a whopper stinker in the jax!

I'm quite comfortable with it. Then again my poo isn't particularly stinky.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Cutie 3.14

As somebody said earlier in the thread...it's all about marketing!

It's often joked about on here about Guinness farts that could clear a room and curry shytes that require a pre-emptive toilet roll in the fridge
    ...and that's all id be thinking about if I saw a man on a constipation relief ad! :o

Sorry but I'd just be thinking eeeewwww and then just associate that brand with smelly Guinness farts! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Men don't have hygiene issues like women do. Just add that to the list of advantages to being a man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Gold Bond medicated powder. We all know what it's for

"Gold Bond is used to curb moisture, control odor, and soothe minor skin irritations, notably jock itch. "

Maybe it's an American thing? It's an example of a widely advertised hygiene product primarily aimed at men though. They even have Shaq doing the ads

What ads treat women like sex objects? Examples please. Can't think of one.

Is this a serious question? :eek: But okay, I’ll take your comment at face value and say this: I’m very observant of ads for breast cancer awareness because I have the terminal form of the disease. And even some of those ads are sexualised. Seriously. I’m not even joking. It’s actually common. This is a disease where part of the treatment is mutilation of the breast and still you will see charities trying to get their message across using the adage that sex sells. The hope is, I guess that both women and men will take notice and men will tell their partners about it. But it’s just really crass. But it shows how prevalent it is and how engrained in advertising the objectification of women’s bodies is. You probably can’t think of any because there are so goddamn many.

This is why I'm a little incredulous at your question. But if you really want examples, I can give you some tomorrow when I have my laptop. Too awkward on the phone.

OK, so the only question I have here is this: why is 'adverts' capitalised when it has nothing to do with Adverts.ie?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Have you tried blasting it with pi55?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

AllForIt wrote: »
    Men don't have hygiene issues like women do. Just add that to the list of advantages to being a man.

The advantage of having only one hole :pac:

Is this a serious question? :eek: But okay, I’ll take your comment at face value and say this: I’m very observant of ads for breast cancer awareness because I have the terminal form of the disease. And even some of those ads are sexualised. Seriously. I’m not even joking. It’s actually common. This is a disease where part of the treatment is mutilation of the breast and still you will see charities trying to get their message across using the adage that sex sells. The hope is, I guess that both women and men will take notice and men will tell their partners about it. But it’s just really crass. But it shows how prevalent it is and how engrained in advertising the objectification of women’s bodies is. You probably can’t think of any because there are so goddamn many.

This is why I'm a little incredulous at your question. But if you really want examples, I can give you some tomorrow when I have my laptop. Too awkward on the phone.

I'm very sorry to hear about your illness.

I really haven't seen any sexualised ads lately ... unless I am immune to them or something. Most ads I see are either for cars, shaving stuff etc for men (maybe 20% of ads) and the rest are targeted at women.

The Lynx ads, maybe? they are more funny and ridiculous than sexualised. Unless you mean by sexualised, homoerotic ads? There are a lot of those alright, especially for perfumes and aftershaves. Definitely nothing for a straight guy to get worked up about.

Since Gerorgia Salpa's FAS ad several years ago I can't remember the last time I looked at a TV ad and felt in any way that it was sexual or objectifying in any way to women. If it was, it certainly didn't work for me.

So I would like to see some examples of what you mean, I'm genuinely interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Heartburn remedy ads feature male actors. Shaving products, obviously.

Man i hate women

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

There is no need to watch any tv-ads nowadays.
    If you suffer from tv-ads, it is of your own making

• Advertisement
Advertisement