Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you bring a letting agent to court?

Options
  • 13-02-2018 9:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi,

I am trying to request permission to assign the lease agreement to a new tenant. To do so, I have to send prospective tenant details to a letting agency. So far, I submitted 3 people and every time I submit references, the agency spends a week before they even contact the landlord. Meanwhile, I am covering the whole rent meaning I am at financial loss as I speak.
    So could anyone comment and let me know if the agency is liable for delaying the vetting process?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Hi,

I am trying to request permission to assign the lease agreement to a new tenant. To do so, I have to send prospective tenant details to a letting agency. So far, I submitted 3 people and every time I submit references, the agency spends a week before they even contact the landlord. Meanwhile, I am covering the whole rent meaning I am at financial loss as I speak.
    So could anyone comment and let me know if the agency is liable for delaying the vetting process?
    Thanks
    If they rejected the first tenant (provided they were of suitable covenant) you'd have been able to give the relevant notice there and then and no longer needed to assign the lease.

If you're stuck for cash try air BnB in the short term

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Tenant yeah

Browney7 wrote: »
    If they rejected the first tenant (provided they were of suitable covenant) you'd have been able to give the relevant notice there and then and no longer needed to assign the lease.

If you're stuck for cash try air BnB in the short term

Thanks for your advice. I think I will look into giving a notice to them. The landlord is entitled to say yes or no. But it is the agency that is slowing things down so technically the landlord is still okay with accepting new people.
    I just don't know where the agency sits between myself and the landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

I take it that they person then finds somewhere else while the agent takes their time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Tenant yeah

I take it that they person then finds somewhere else while the agent takes their time.

Yes, when I was getting the place, vetting took a mere afternoon. This time, it takes 5 days. And if the prospective tenant is not in full-time employment, then it's a no.
    Most people who viewed the property were working but some were fresh of the plane and only had their own savings or not a Google job.
    I'm just puzzled by the level of paperwork involved and the way the agency is slowing things down.
    Surely there is a way..

Advertisement