Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you recommend a VPN to use when accessing Crypto Accounts

• 13-02-2018 10:15am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 88 ✭✭

Can you recommend a VPN to use when accessing Crypto Accounts either on the exchanges or when using Wallets.

I havent used one before and there are numerous options so would prefer to go with one thats recommmended by this forum

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Can you recommend a VPN to use when accessing Crypto Accounts either on the exchanges or when using Wallets.

I havent used one before and there are numerous options so would prefer to go with one thats recommmended by this forum

Thank you

What are you trying to accomplish with the VPN?

Additional security?
    Getting around a country's restrictions?
    Getting around work firewall?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,894 ✭✭✭✭banie01

What are you trying to accomplish with the VPN?

Additional security?
    Getting around a country's restrictions?
    Getting around work firewall?

As BrokenArrows has alluded to, the best answer to your question is very much dependant on what you need a VPN for?

A lot of people assume that VPN's are a panacea for any and all ills including geo-blocking, IP protection and overall security and it has become a buzz-word.

I would have serious issues with routing financially sensitive information over a VPN service that I did not 100% trust.
    Yes encryption should be in place but, the VPN is acting as a conduit for all comms to and from your terminal.
    It leads to some interesting social engineering possibilities if the VPN is in any way spurious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 88 ✭✭crytoadvice

Im using wifi so I thought a vpn would make things more secure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Im using wifi so I thought a vpn would make things more secure.

I wouldn't worry about it. You would be better off making sure you have your computer secured with a good antivirus and firewall.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I use Private Internet Access (PIA) vpn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

Zascar wrote: »
    Use that one as well albeit not necessarily with crypto in mind ...although it's no harm.

2 Factor Auth. on the exchanges and a hardware wallet should keep things secure.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Unless the exchange gets hacked, like BitGrial. Best to take offline when possible..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 88 ✭✭crytoadvice

banie01 wrote: »
    I would have serious issues with routing financially sensitive information over a VPN service that I did not 100% trust.
    Yes encryption should be in place but, the VPN is acting as a conduit for all comms to and from your terminal.
    It leads to some interesting social engineering possibilities if the VPN is in any way spurious.
    Thanks for pointing this out, can you elaborate on the risks?
    I wouldn't worry about it. You would be better off making sure you have your computer secured with a good antivirus and firewall.
    Im using Windows defender that comes with Windows 10. Should I add extra security like Malewarebytes?
    Thank you. Can your Isp still see your browsing history using a VPN. Does the VPN just protect from outside attacks
    2 Factor Auth. on the exchanges and a hardware wallet should keep things secure.
    I use 2fa with the exchanges. I havent set up Desktop or Hardware wallets yet. Im only after getting verified with kraken so I will start buying small amounts today or tomorrow and leave them on the exchange until I sort wallets out. I was going to use MyEtherWallet but dont think so now after the recent change over.
    Unless the exchange gets hacked, like BitGrial. Best to take offline when possible..
    Ill take them off as soon as I get Hardware and Desktop wallets setup.

Btw can anyone recommend an Android app for Kraken.

Thanks for the replies Lads

Advertisement