Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Premier League Relegation thread

• 13-02-2018 11:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Its all very tight this year with anyone from Bournemouth down still in trouble. Burnley themselves are on a 10 game winless run in the league but probably just need a couple more wins while Leicester and Everton should also be fine despite there troubles this season.

Looks like WBA are falling away but they have very winnable games against fellow strugglers Huddersfield and Watford next which could bring them back into it. Most teams who have replaced there managers have had a bounce, most notably Palace, West Ham and Swansea. All 3 of the promoted sides have had some decent results but seem to lack consistency. Southampton have stuck so far and are a better team than most around them imo so will get the results needed I think.

At this stage I think WBA, Huddersfield and Stoke  go down but that it might than 40 points to stay safe this year

Who will get relegated 205 votes

WBA
    0% 0 votes
    Stoke
    31% 65 votes
    Southampton
    20% 43 votes
    Huddersfield
    11% 23 votes
    Swansea
    16% 34 votes
    Crystal Palace
    3% 7 votes
    Brighton
    3% 8 votes
    Newcastle
    4% 9 votes
    West Ham
    1% 4 votes
    Watford
    4% 9 votes
    Bournemouth
    1% 3 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Hopefully Huddersfield and Stoke goes down, looks like West Brom time is up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Can PL have a rule that if Pardew gets West Brom relegated, he's not allowed into the PL again?

Won't shed a tear for Stoke going down either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,926 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

WBA & Stoke & Palace all the teams that didn't need Pardew anymore :)

WBA, Stoke & Southampton I think will go down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Can see Watford going to be honest. Had a small bounce factor from the new manager but have still only picked up 9 points from last 14 games which is relegation form. Seriously leaky defence and that always tends to get worse at this nervy time of year so can't see them picking up the 8/9 points in remaining games they'll need.

West Brom and Huddersfield the other two for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

West Brom, Soton, Huddersfield.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I went with WBA, Palace and Huddersfield.

WBA are the only certains, IMO, to go down.

Anyone from 10th down will be dragged into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Interesting article on how many points are needed to stay up, they reckon 38 will be enough this year
    http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/43049564

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Myla Enough Sorrow

Wouldn’t cry if WBA or Stoke go down (can’t stand Pardew and I feel they’re the dullest two teams in the League to watch imo - no offense to fans) - shootout between Huddersfield, Brighton, Southampton and Swansea - I see Huddersfield being caught due to a bad run they’re on sadly (as I’d like the newer teams to stay up for a while )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Based on how limp and half-hearted Southampton were against Liverpool, I’m going to go for them. I haven’t seen a worst 45 minutes of football from a side than the second half of that game last weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Myla Enough Sorrow

Based on how limp and half-hearted Southampton were against Liverpool, I’m going to go for them. I haven’t seen a worst 45 minutes of football from a side than the second half of that game last weekend.

I’m surprised they haven’t got rid of Pellegrino yet - looks a rash decision with Puel- wouldn’t be surprised they went for Silva - if he’s gone soon I could see them having the new manager bounce just on time

• Advertisement

WBA are gone if this result stays the same. Pardew will be gone this week as well id say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Hope Stoke go down. Their fans are neanderthals.

Few interesting games this weekend regarding the relegation places, good chance for Huddersfield and Bournemouth to get some distance between them and the bottom 3. Also good opportunity for Stoke to get a win, Everton have been fairly poor away from home recently.
    WBA look gone and WHU and Southampton have some terrible fixtures coming up. Palace seem to be in free fall as well and have plenty of injuries. Starting to think all 3 promoted teams are gonna stay up this year

445436.PNG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

WBA are done. Serves them right for thinking they're above Pulis. Know your place.

Southampton simply kept an out-of-his-depth manager, who played a cowardly form of football, for far too long. I think they left it too long and will pay the price for a run-in that is pretty fúcking horrendous.

Huddersfield are simply too limited, unfortunately. I think they've been a good addition.

I think Zaha and Benteke are enough to get Palace out.
    I think Stoke should have just about enough going forward with Shaq, Jese and Choupo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Guido Carillo isn't much of step up from Long so can't see Southampton staying up unless new manager works a mini-miracle.

West Ham are too toxic to string a run together at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

WBA, Southampton, Huddersfield or Stoke. I think West Ham have enough quality to stay up if off-field events don't go totally haywire, and I think Roy is canny enough to keep Palace up.

I don't think there's much point in WBA sacking Pardew at this stage, they're effectively down, they'd be as well giving him a shot at getting them back up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Newcastle up I would think are on the verge of safety. Newcastle and Bournemouths goal difference is like another point

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

WBA, Stoke and Newcastle for me, certainly it was before this weekend. Big three points for Newcastle. It'll depend on how Southampton react to a new manager.

I fear a bad run for Newcastle..

Newcastles run in will be built around Huddersfield and West Brom at home. Win them or even get 4 points and they'll be fine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Is Slimani ever going to be fit? Thought he woulda been a nice boost to Newcastle.

• Advertisement

Benitez hinted at Huddersfield next up but didn't want to commit to a date

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Southamptons goal difference as it stands is far better than anyone around them.

Bournemouth v WBA is huge, Bournemouth win that and theyre probably safe as theyed likely go 10th with only 4 games going ahead this week.

Huddersfield v Palace, is pretty much the same as the above but I'd have Palace taking something from that game who have been unlucky lately not to take points from the big boys.

Stopke v Everton, Everton are comfortable in 9th with nothing really to play for so its all on Stoke to get something from that game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

West Brom, Stoke and Southampton arguably Arsenal's kryptonites

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

We're in massive trouble. 8 games left, 6 of them against the top 10. I can only see 2 games where we're in with a shout of getting points, Stoke and Southampton. And the Southampton game will be their first with a new manager. And we just love giving clubs in dire need of a win a boost.
    Our form has done to sh!t and the atmosphere around the club is as toxic as it ever has been. Everything is pointing towards relegation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

We're in massive trouble. 8 games left, 6 of them against the top 10. I can only see 2 games where we're in with a shout of getting points, Stoke and Southampton. And the Southampton game will be their first with a new manager. And we just love giving clubs in dire need of a win a boost.
    Our form has done to sh!t and the atmosphere around the club is as toxic as it ever has been. Everything is pointing towards relegation.

at least you'll have a nice big stadium for when you play

googles League 1 table

Shrewsbury :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Huddersfield look a bit of value at 11/2 to drop considering they'll likely take nothing from their last 3 games and they have a much worse goal difference than Southampton.

Swansea v Southampton in gameweek 37 could be massive.

They all want to go down. The narrow points spread is crazy, in theory the entire bottom half of the table are not safe but there are matches that could make things much clearer esp Stoke v Palace, Bournemouth v Swansea, Everton v Soton. West Brom v Spurs and Man City play West Ham and Huddersfield in the next 7 days

If it went to overall form WBA would go down with no more than 31 points possible
    and Stoke would follow them with no more than 33 points possible. Everyone else above will still have the chance to escape.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

West Brom are putting in bit of fight now - but for the dreadful football played by them and Stoke over the years , they will be no loss . Southapmton might escape , them Huddersfield, west ham and swansea are in for a nervous few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Huddersfield start to the season could really save them. Didn't they win the first 3 games or something? Madness that they're in so much trouble.

Agree with poster above tho. Tough to see them get any points from last 3 games

• Advertisement

Bump for Stoke

WBA's shock win means they can still avoid the drop but it will require everyone else to be worse.

Everton host Soton right now

Then Swansea play Soton and someone will get points there. Two draws would do for Southampton unless West Brom thrash Palace next weekend by at least 5 goal margin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Realistically, WBA need to win their remaining game and hope that Swansea vs Soton is a draw. And, obviously hope that Swansea lose their other game and Soton lose their other two games! Would be unreal if that scenario actually happened!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Despite the bad run they were having Stoke should not have sacked Mark Hughes.Hope Southampton stay up.

Holy crap West Brom are still alive with a last minute Everton equaliser v Soton. This season is ending on an unexpected level of high anxiety.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

West Brom need to like 5-0 though. That's not really likely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

titan18 wrote: »
    West Brom need to like 5-0 though. That's not really likely

They've a better gd than swansea and 4 worse than soton, which will be a max of 3 if soton draw and lose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

Still very likely West Brom will go down but god damn everything is going in their favour at the minute. Very entertaining battle down there but still feel like it's too late for West Brom to find their way out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Swansea v Southampton is now going to be a massive game for both of them.Pity Southampton slipped up against Chelsea,it was three points thrown away.

Advertisement