Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Theft of Kegs from outside Pubs

• 13-02-2018 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭

Came across this last night all across social media, it seems to be becoming more common-place right across the country. Are there pubs out there that would knowingly buy kegs from unofficialy sources given that they are more than likely stolen off another pub :rolleyes:

https://www.facebook.com/CagneysBarAskeaton/

aNjEIxO.jpg

vbulletinaNjEIxO.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

It is unfortunate that people like that are around but the publican isn't likely going to have to bare the loss.

As a former Sale Rep in the drinks Industry we've had full and empty kegs taken from Pubs where there is always an unwritten rule/verbal agreement to deliver kegs as many pubs are closed in the morning time.

The person delivering them is ultimately responsible, or at least I can confirm the company I worked for always took the loss.

Without a mix of gas, and a system to empty the kegs it's nearly a waste of time unless they can sell them to another pub who'd surely ask where they came from unless they're not above board either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

Berty wrote: »
    Without a mix of gas, and a system to empty the kegs it's nearly a waste of time unless they can sell them to another pub who'd surely ask where they came from unless they're not above board either.
    If there were no buyers, there would be no thieves, and, there are always buyers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

It is unfortunate that people like that are around but the publican isn't likely going to have to bare the loss.

As a former Sale Rep in the drinks Industry we've had full and empty kegs taken from Pubs where there is always an unwritten rule/verbal agreement to deliver kegs as many pubs are closed in the morning time.

The person delivering them is ultimately responsible, or at least I can confirm the company I worked for always took the loss.

Plenty of people have home set ups and nothing stopping them stealing gas tanks either.

It always amazes me what gets left out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭kingtut

Most home brewers have this equipment already and there are a lot of them these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Treepole

kingtut wrote: »
    Most home brewers have this equipment already and there are a lot of them these days.

A home brewer wouldn't be able to live with the shame of being caught with a keg of Heineken.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Treepole wrote: »
    A home brewer wouldn't be able to live with the shame of being caught with a keg of Heineken.

I would sure I drink it like water.

Was the pub open at the time of delivery? Asking because my brother is a publican in the UK and says "draymen" (the keg delivery guys) are notorious thieves over there. And it's not just him either, I met a lot of people involved with the trade over there through his connections and it's almost a universal opinion. Says you can never leave them unsupervised and have to watch them like hawks. They know every move possible to swap your full kegs for empty ones.

I also know a couple of lads from Clonmel who swore blind the roughest pub in town was stealing kegs from the pub next door!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭kingtut

Treepole wrote: »

True but it means they can drink the good stuff while the rest of the lads down the pi$$ ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭Needs Must

Most publicans would be wary of accepting these kegs from non bona fide sources, but there is always the exception. I know of 2 pubs in Dublin that engage in this activity, and I'm sure there are more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭eurokev

Can't understand why pubs don't have a staff member on to take in a delivery.

I used to wholesale kegs and it was happening constantly, I mean if hear of it 4 times a week.

Empties being stolen too is an absolutely massive issue. Something like 60000 empty kegs were stolen in two years from Diageo. I imagine there is some sort of deposit scheme in place for empty kegs now, it was approaching as I was getting out of the game.

But if there was no buyers, there would be little to no stealing. Publicans have to look at themselves for this one.
    Same as the farmers, buying stuff that is highly likely to have been stolen is as bad as stealing itself in my eyes

• Advertisement
Advertisement