Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ryan mason announces retirement

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Terrible news and released on the same day as Gordon Taylors 2 and a half million pound salary is announced which dwarfs the amount of money being invested in attempting to determine the links between heading the ball and brain damage. Understand his was down to a clash of heads but brings head/brain injuries into sharp focus.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

That's a real shame. He played some nice football for Spurs, and was still only 26.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭ianob7

That's a real pity !! He was a talented baller . Wish him well for the future

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Kiith wrote: »
    That's a real shame. He played some nice football for Spurs, and was still only 26.

Was one of Hulls better players until the injury too, very sad to hear that he has to give up playing, though when it happened it was known that there was a very high chance he would never play again..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Very unlucky. Hopefully he will have some role in the football.

Also one more reminder to all the people who are angry about players wages, they are one incident away from ending their career.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Very unlucky. Hopefully he will have some role in the football.

Also one more reminder to all the people who are angry about players wages, they are one incident away from ending their career.
    He will be paid a pension from the age of 35 at a rate that you or I could likely only dream about. Not putting him down or detracting from his injury but he will be well remunerated and should, if he is not too much into the gambling that appears rife at the moment, be comfortably off for the rest of his days.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

He will be paid a pension from the age of 35 at a rate that you or I could likely only dream about. Not putting him down or detracting from his injury but he will be well remunerated and should, if he is not too much into the gambling that appears rife at the moment, be comfortably off for the rest of his days.

Pension? Never heard about that for football players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Pension? Never heard about that for football players.

The PFA run a pension scheme, like a private pension that you pay into every week.. you can cash out at 35 or continue to pay into it.. ex players who take up other jobs can continue to pay into it I think until they stop working..

I’m also sure there would be other private pension schemes that would accept them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Isn't there a pension tax on transfer fees? Something between 1% and 3%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

astradave wrote: »
    The PFA run a pension scheme, like a private pension that you pay into every week.. you can cash out at 35 or continue to pay into it.. ex players who take up other jobs can continue to pay into it I think until they stop working..

I’m also sure there would be other private pension schemes that would accept them

The problem for Mason is that, like any pension scheme, you only get out of it what you pay in. Also, as they are cashing in at age 35 and could reasonably expect to live another 45 years, the annuity returns are miniscule unless you have paid massive premiums. As Mason was only on his first real PL wages contract, I very much doubt he will have paid much into the pot. Of much more significance would be whatever insurance policy he had in place to cover injury terminating his career prematurely.

Whatever the case, it won't be near compensation for losing out on the best years of his career, not to mention the damage to his health.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Jesus he is awful young
    Hopefully he kept some cash under his mattress

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I remember the collision. It was an awful belt. Hopefully he makes a full recovery and doesn't suffer any ill effects.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Ryan on Petr Cech and how he helped Mason with his recovery. Makes me respect Cech a lot.

https://twitter.com/ChrisWheatley_/status/963707029637476352

Advertisement