Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

After Hours infraction/thread ban

Options
  • 13-02-2018 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=106119879

Hi

I've been banned from this thread, and received an infraction for calling a transperson ''the wrong gender''. I called an (as yet untransitioned) public figure ''he''. However I also used the persons chosen female name, rather than their original male name.

The moderator has advised that this was ''a dick move'' and ''Anyone can identify as whatever or whomever they like''.

I'd like clarification on the Boards rules on indicating you don't believe a person's self declaration of identity. Is it mandatory to use the person's declared gender pronoun and not to voice doubts about their sincerity on the gender claim or other self identity declarations?

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Are you disputing the read card you received in AH. If not, this is better suited to Help Desk where complaints and discussion about forum rules should take place

Either way, can you confirm you have attempted to resolve this issue directly with the relevant mod?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Beasty wrote: »
    Are you disputing the read card you received in AH. If not, this is better suited to Help Desk where complaints and discussion about forum rules should take place

Either way, can you confirm you have attempted to resolve this issue directly with the relevant mod?

Thanks

I wasn't sure it could be disputed. I was looking to find out the rules for this situation. I suppose if it affects my entitlement to use Boards then yes I'd like to dispute the infraction and ban.

I pm'd the moderator because I was surprised to get into trouble for the comment.

Thanks for your reply. I'll look for Help Desk.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I wasn't sure it could be disputed. I was looking to find out the rules for this situation. I suppose if it affects my entitlement to use Boards then yes I'd like to dispute the infraction and ban.

I pm'd the moderator because I was surprised to get into trouble for the comment.

Thanks for your reply. I'll look for Help Desk.
    OK, well please exhaust that conversation with the mod first

You can then appeal your card here. If the thread ban is related it probably makes sense to reach a conclusion on that at the same time. If you wish to discuss the underlying rule and the way it is applied, than I would suggest initially concluding your appeal here (which may well inform any such discussion) before starting a thread in Help Desk on that particular issue

Thanks

Beasty wrote: »
    OK, well please exhaust that conversation with the mod first

You can then appeal your card here. If the thread ban is related it probably makes sense to reach a conclusion on that at the same time. If you wish to discuss the underlying rule and the way it is applied, than I would suggest initially concluding your appeal here (which may well inform any such discussion) before starting a thread in Help Desk on that particular issue

Thanks

Thanks for explaining the process.

I think the conversation has been exhausted by now. Mod has only said that they'll uphold their decision, and the comment about the right to self identify as they wish.

Thanks for confirming that. I'll drop a note to the relevant CMods and one of them will get back to you here. I've also changed the thread title to highlight you are appealing the red card

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,379 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Thanks Beasty.

WidderShins please pm me (or post here) the full pm exchange you had with the mod to resolve this issue

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,379 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I received a pm from you. I do not see any attempt to resolve the issue with the mod. Please engage in a more civil manner with the mod before continuing in this appeal.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    I received a pm from you. I do not see any attempt to resolve the issue with the mod. Please engage in a more civil manner with the mod before continuing in this appeal.

Hello, thanks for the reply.

I was wrong to call the mods Your Highness and Boards totalitarian. I would appreciate guidance on what would be required to ''resolve the issue'', please.

It is clear the mod feels my comment and view is deeply objectionable but I disagree and feel it is an acceptable stance made without malice and should be allowed.

How do people usually resolve such issues?

Talk to the mod in a civil fashion. They are generally very reasonable. Bear in mind that they are volunteers giving up their time to help keep the forums running smoothly.

Having been bluntly told I had made a ''dickish move'' and bluntly told not to post again, the mod gave no response, refused to explain why a ban was seen as an appropriate measure.
    I've now asked in three places, and not received anything but further censure.
    Happy to apologise for ''your highness'' & ''totalitarian'' but obviously the mod has a serious problem with the original post and that's not being addressed.

As I now self identify as a Moderator I am hereby unbanning myself and both mods are now banned. I have been assured by the mod that anyone can do this and I hope you will respect my rights as a transmoderator. No hate speech, please.

• Advertisement

If you make no attempt to resolve this amicably via PM with the mod who issued the card this appeal goes no further

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Actually I'm going to take this a step further.

Based on what I've seen of your PMs to the forum mods so far, the smartarsed comments about self identity here and elsewhere on the site, it's pretty clear that you have no intention of being sincere about your appeal, and I'm not going to have mods and CMods waste their time on a back and forth with you while you treat them in that fashion.

Consider this DRP closed. You are welcome to first try and work things out civilly with the forum mods. If you can't come to an agreement, you are then welcome to open another DRP thread here and engage in a civilised fashion with the CMod or admin that will be taking the time to look into your ban. Any deviation from the 'civilised' part of that, and the ban stands.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement