Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dusseldorf Marathon April 29th

• 13-02-2018 2:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 151 ✭✭

I'm doing Dusseldorf April 29th, anyone else in for it?

If anyone has ran it, would be interested to hear their thoughts.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭eve

I did it back in 2015. The city is nice and the route leads you North, West, East and South so you get to see a large part of the City. We stayed in a hotel at the main train station so we had a bit of a walk to the Start and back again but that didn't bother us. Aid stations were well laid out and they gave you a sponge at Registration so you could dip it in the huge buckets provided at the aid station and cool down with it. Isotonic, alchohol-free beer, shower gel and showers at the end. It is quite flat - the main rises and falls are across the bridges and that may not suit everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 151 ✭✭ac20

eve wrote: »
    I did it back in 2015. The city is nice and the route leads you North, West, East and South so you get to see a large part of the City. We stayed in a hotel at the main train station so we had a bit of a walk to the Start and back again but that didn't bother us. Aid stations were well laid out and they gave you a sponge at Registration so you could dip it in the huge buckets provided at the aid station and cool down with it. Isotonic, alchohol-free beer, shower gel and showers at the end. It is quite flat - the main rises and falls are across the bridges and that may not suit everyone.

many thanks for the info, looking forward to my visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭noelearly

Interested to hear how things went and what were your impressions on the marathon. Thinking ahead for next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 151 ✭✭ac20

Highly recommend this marathon. my 12th abroad and probably the one I have enjoyed the most. Flat course basically, only time you face anything approaching a hill is when you cross the bridges over the Rhine. About 3k runners , great atmosphere and support along the route. Well stocked hydration stations. Small expo, didnt mind that, in and out in five minutes. City itself is great, nice and compact with a lively old town section, enjoyed a few Alt beers while i was there. I stayed 2 metro stops from the start/finish.Direct flights with Aer Lingus 70 euro return out on the Saturday morning and home the Monday evening. I stayed just around the corner from the famous KO street, PM if you want the details. All in all I would highly recommend Dusseldorf.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭noelearly

ac20 wrote: »
    Highly recommend this marathon. my 12th abroad and probably the one I have enjoyed the most. Flat course basically, only time you face anything approaching a hill is when you cross the bridges over the Rhine. About 3k runners , great atmosphere and support along the route. Well stocked hydration stations. Small expo, didnt mind that, in and out in five minutes. City itself is great, nice and compact with a lively old town section, enjoyed a few Alt beers while i was there. I stayed 2 metro stops from the start/finish.Direct flights with Aer Lingus 70 euro return out on the Saturday morning and home the Monday evening. I stayed just around the corner from the famous KO street, PM if you want the details. All in all I would highly recommend Dusseldorf.

Thanks for that, I'll keep this in mind for next year. I'll pm you if I decide on this route.

• Advertisement
Advertisement