Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2018 Rás

Options
  • 13-02-2018 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭

Stage 1, Sunday May 20: Drogheda to Athlone, 136 kms:
    Stage 2, Monday May 21: Athlone to Tipperary, 148.7 kms:
    Stage 3, Tuesday May 22: Tipperary to Listowel, 140.4 kms:
    Stage 4, Wednesday May 23: Listowel to Glengariff, 153 kms:
    Stage 5, Thursday May 24: Glengarriff to Mitchelstown, 150.2 kms:
    Stage 6, Friday May 25: Mitchelstown to Carlow, 154.6 kms:
    Stage 7, Saturday May 26: Carlow to Naas, 141.2 kms:
    Stage 8, Sunday May 27: Naas to Skerries, 144.6 kms:

Total: 1180.5 kms

Some brutal looking stages.

More here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

still no sponsor, though I can't imagine one won't be found by May.

I guess whether they can invite foreign teams will depend on whether they get the sponsor on board? That's presuming the prize pot is more important to teams the the UCI points.

Though I am getting a little bit excited at the prospect of the race becoming predominantly a county team race. Now that would be great!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Pity it's not rolling out of Dublin Castle again but am happy to see stage one covers home turf for me

Plenty of climbing in some of those stages!!! Glad to finally see the route. It'll be interesting to see how much of an impact no title sponsor will have. Hopefully it's still well supported out on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

I hear you got on a team Bambaata, great news. Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

joey100 wrote: »
    I hear you got on a team Bambaata, great news. Well done.
    So long as the team gets accepted now!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,417 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

1bryan wrote: »
    still no sponsor, though I can't imagine one won't be found by May.
    Think they will have one, but will be very fortunate to find one prepared to devote anywhere near as much resource as An Post have been doing.

I know one of the big planks of the current CI's election campaign was he thought more money should be coming into cycling via sponsorship. I'm struggling to see who is prepared to invest the sums needed to run this and indeed the Ras na mBan at the levels they have been running them.

• Advertisement

Just really glad they were able to get it up and running this year. Hopefully something can be done sponsorship wise into the future . I don't think Sean Kelly's team had any luck finding one either did they?

I like the fact it's starting here in town and finishing in Skerries, means myself and the wee one will have 2 chances to cheer them on. We had a great day out in Skerries last time.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭DKmac

Beasty wrote: »
    Think they will have one, but will be very fortunate to find one prepared to devote anywhere near as much resource as An Post have been doing.

I know one of the big planks of the current CI's election campaign was he thought more money should be coming into cycling via sponsorship. I'm struggling to see who is prepared to invest the sums needed to run this and indeed the Ras na mBan at the levels they have been running them.

Very hard to see a big independent sponsor come on board. The race sells itself on being an international stage race but predominantly the media focus is on the county rider and their stories so that goes against attracting a larger & possibly even an international sponsor. Also the presence of county riders prevents the race from moving up the UCI rankings which could potentially put off bigger sponsors from getting in at a lower level and staying long term to see the event grow.

The county riders bring great interest to the race and are essentially the spirit of the race but I think it will struggle to attract as big support as An Post provided when they are competing.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

I don't think Sean Kelly's team had any luck finding one either did they?

I thought they did have one but couldn't get everything arranged in time for next season. Thus they had to take a season out and reconvene the year after.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

Stage 4... Glengarriff... wasnt that where 27 lads didnt make the time limit a few years back? looks horrific.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

For Stages 4-8 it looks like the exact same route as 2013. Will definitely get out to one or two of the stages nearer home

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭daragh_

Really looking forward to seeing the lads from my club do this again this year. And the icing on the cake will be watching them come over the Shay and the Wicklow Gap. Start picking your spots now - there will be big crowds :D #COYBIP

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Beasty wrote: »

Very true. I know that behind the scenes, An Post did a lot of work that nobody saw. An incredible amount of work before the route launch, between that and the first stage and during the race itself. It will be hard to top it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Rás road book now available

http://rasireland.ie/race-technical-guide/

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Some A2 riders dox

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Some A2 riders do the ras. It must be hard for majority of them who are 2-3 levels off some of the pro teams.

Rás road book now available

http://rasireland.ie/race-technical-guide/

Best get my wee one studying this, she was a disaster in the kids race they had in Skerries last year, team car mammy had to intervene and give her a sticky bottle most of the way :pac:

What a great day out that was, we'll be heading for the finish again this year for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,786 ✭✭✭✭dahat

One rider needing assistance already!

dahat wrote: »
    One rider needing assistance already!

Front puncture not even 1km from the off, best get the bad luck out of the way early and empty the bladder 3 or 4 more joined that Swiss rider for a wee break on the left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

Any truth to the rumours that Nicolas Roche quit the Giro to ride the Rás?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Great that the race organisers got another co-sponsor on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭R.dufy454773

Is there any coverage\ live stream of this does anyone know ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

No Shane Stokes updates this year?
    Nothing here anyway: https://anpostraswithshanestokes.wordpress.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 16,786 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Front puncture not even 1km from the off, best get the bad luck out of the way early and empty the bladder 3 or 4 more joined that Swiss rider for a wee break on the left.

Indeed, best place for it to happen then.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

Raam wrote: »
    No Shane Stokes updates this year?
    Nothing here anyway: https://anpostraswithshanestokes.wordpress.com/

https://twitter.com/rastailteann

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

buffalo wrote: »

Thanks, pity they start with the last one first.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Full Stage 1 Results

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Do they post estimated times for certain parts of the stage as to when they’ll Pass?

It’s passing by Nenagh tomorrow and want to skive off work to watch it pass

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Boscoirl wrote: »
    Do they post estimated times for certain parts of the stage as to when they’ll Pass?

It’s passing by Nenagh tomorrow and want to skive off work to watch it pass

You'll get race time estimates in the regulations:

http://rasireland.ie/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/Race-Tailteann-2018-Technical-Guide.pdf

Advertisement