Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2018 Rás

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Estimated time for Nenagh is from 1235 to 1323

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Merci, now have to try arrange my day around that

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭R.dufy454773

Estimated times here :
    http://www.rastailteann.com/uploads/race-tailteann-2018-technical-guide.pdf

Edit; didn’t see previous post , apologies

Not my video , came across doing a search. Gas seeing this from above as I have multiple routes from here I take on spins and normally it's a case of do I stop at the shop for a fanta, go right or go left, then which road next. Normally I keep left then right to red mountain (Not a actually a mountain) and Duleek and back in. Oh and I don't think I ever came close to carrying that kind of speed through there :o I'm sure some others here would ride through here regularly too.

I was in Riverstown this morning (a little village on the Tipp/Offaly border) to watch the Rás Tailteann pass. A couple of years ago in the same place there was loads of children down from the local school to cheer it on. But today I suppose due to the torrents of rain, there was me, an elderly lady at her front door and a Guard minding a junction watching it. Feckin rain - too wet to bring my camera.

There was one group of riders, I'm not sure if they were even in the race, but it was a good 10 mins after the broom wagon passed. They in for a long day as only 40 odd Km was gone at that point.

• Advertisement

Full Stage 2 Results

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Ended working away today, but managed to get to the finish in tipp town

Poor weather but a bit of buzz around the town,

Large bunch finish and he won well.

They guy that finished the stage last was tucked in behind the broom wagon for the last few K

Caught the finish on the Six One news there, great win.

Couple of snaps from Caherconlish Co.Limerick this morning.

451379.JPG

451380.JPG

451381.JPG

Might as well keep the results going too

Stage 3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

Are average speeds down? There's certainly no sense that county riders are struggling to make the time cut this year, as has happened in recent years. Maybe that'll all change once they hit the hills.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

1bryan wrote: »
    Are average speeds down? There's certainly no sense that county riders are struggling to make the time cut this year, as has happened in recent years. Maybe that'll all change once they hit the hills.

If your looking at yesterday's results it would reflect fine weather and a flat stage. Day previous there were gaps of up to 30mins. Avg speed for first hour was 47kph that's on par with most stages.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭JimmiesRustled

Real test starts today for the county riders. Same stage as more or less as a couple years back when 23 riders were eliminated for being outside the time cut.

I say more or less as it's a little shorter than it was before.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,452 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

If your looking at yesterday's results it would reflect fine weather and a flat stage. Day previous there were gaps of up to 30mins. Avg speed for first hour was 47kph that's on par with most stages.

47 ! jaysus , that is savage ... :eek:

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

Killarney's instagram feed (killarneyrasteam) is hilarious. Especially the stories!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

The average speed for the 3 stages so far is 45.82kph.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

he is a gas man Seanie
    “One of the Jellybean riders (Curtis White) just winked at me,” he explained of getting the ‘come up the road’ eyes.
    http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/sean-omalley-ras-breakaway-stage-3/

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Lewotsil

Likely to be loads of splits today and early ........ will need some co-ordination, gruppetto style

No one cut surprisingly, must be the good weather, although I see Paidi O'Brien cut it fine - must be sick/injured as he would usually be at the top end of affairs.

Stage 4

1bryan if your into the stats all results for the last 8-9 years are on the Ras tailteann page if you want to compare averages.

• Advertisement

No one cut surprisingly, must be the good weather, although I see Paidi O'Brien cut it fine - must be sick/injured as he would usually be at the top end of affairs.

Stage 4
    Other years it would have been a foreign commissarie. It's not this year so maybe that provides some leniency

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭fondriest

Other years it would have been a foreign commissarie. It's not this year so maybe that provides some leniency

No leniency required , everyone was inside the time cut today .

I see there was one rider outside the cut on stage 1 and is still riding . Possibly there is discretion allowed depending on circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

The cut off point is winning time + 20%.
    Nobody, so far, has been outside the time limit.
    As stated above, Paidi O'Brien was very close today, about a minute inside limit.
    No leniency has been required, yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

fondriest wrote: »
    No leniency required , everyone was inside the time cut today .

I see there was one rider outside the cut on stage 1 and is still riding . Possibly there is discretion allowed depending on circumstances.

Article 8 Finishing Time Limits
    The time limit for all stages will be 20% of the stage
    winner’s time.
    The time limit may be increased, in exceptional
    circumstances, by the Panel of Commissaries in
    agreement with the Race Director according to Article

allowed back in because the stage was exceptionally fast

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

Eamonnator wrote: »
    The cut off point is winning time + 20%.
    Nobody, so far, has been outside the time limit.
    As stated above, Paidi O'Brien was very close today, about a minute inside limit.
    No leniency has been required, yet.

I saw on Stage 1 that there was one rider missed the cut according to the official results. They made the cut on Stage 2.

It's something I look out for each day. Its how I gauge where I would possibly be finishing on those stages.

Plastik wrote: »
    I saw on Stage 1 that there was one rider missed the cut according to the official results. They made the cut on Stage 2.

It's something I look out for each day. Its how I gauge where I would possibly be finishing on those stages.

When you see those stage results are you happy your not in it? I worked on the Ras for 10+ years most riders could comfortably finish in the bunch but I think the heads go. And they do some silly things like going to far back in the cars collecting bottles etc. Don't get me wrong hats off and admiration to them all but I think many would finish so much fresher if they saw it from within the race first. It's so different to other races in Ireland where the cavalcade is of varied experiences.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,425 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Not on a route profile like today he wouldn't be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

When you see those stage results are you happy your not in it? I worked on the Ras for 10+ years most riders could comfortably finish in the bunch but I think the heads go. And they do some silly things like going to far back in the cars collecting bottles etc. Don't get me wrong hats off and admiration to them all but I think many would finish so much fresher if they saw it from within the race first. It's so different to other races in Ireland where the cavalcade is of varied experiences.

Hard question to answer. I was offered a spot last year but didn't take it up, didn't feel I was ready for it TBH. If the opportunity arises over the next couple of seasons I might consider it again.

the stage referred to previously in this thread where 20/30 missed the time cut was due to a miscommunication from the broom wagon, was it not? I remember a lot of anger from riders who felt they had no sense there was any risk they'd be eliminated, until the stage finish.

Incidentally, I just noticed that the DS for the Netherlands team is Irish Slappendal. Anyone who has followed women's pro cycling over the last few years might recall her as she designed some of the leader's jerseys for various competitions (and ended up wearing some of those jerseys herself)

• Advertisement

the stage referred to previously in this thread where 20/30 missed the time cut was due to a miscommunication from the broom wagon, was it not? I remember a lot of anger from riders who felt they had no sense there was any risk they'd be eliminated, until the stage finish.

Incidentally, I just noticed that the DS for the Netherlands team is Irish Slappendal. Anyone who has followed women's pro cycling over the last few years might recall her as she designed some of the leader's jerseys for various competitions (and ended up wearing some of those jerseys herself)

A lot of lienency had crept into the race I think. And maybe with sponsors etc they wanted to highlight the race as a serious race at a specific level. Throwing out 30+ riders then was I think to make a statement that if you went out the back it wasn't just roll home as it had been in some years gone by.
    I know a lot of those that were put out and many reckon it improved the co ordination of the grupetto to work as a unit where before some would sit in and not contribute

Advertisement