Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2018 Rás

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

1bryan wrote: »
    Killarney's instagram feed (killarneyrasteam) is hilarious. Especially the stories!

That's me and my team :D . We got great feedback

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Just noting from your post Raam, well done on the R Was it as seemless as other years? Hopefully now the window is open and sponsors are present for years to come. Great race to have on our shores.

Oh I wasn't in it! Nowhere near good enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,861 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Great clear shot, can you pm me that last one? I'm in it... thanks!

No bother - will you PM me your email as I can't put an attachment on a PM.

Seven Worlds will Collide

@billyharpat

There's a better view of Kilarney lads in the next shot
    451860.JPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

Thanks man, I was actually able to download the picture on the laptop-once in a lifetime event for me, so I'll be looking for all the pics I can get-it was a blast

There's a better view of Kilarney lads in the next shot

• Advertisement

Well done - if you want the original size let me know, they're around 10Mb though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Great atmosphere in Skerries yesterday, even if the weather was awful. It was fantastic to see the finish, lots of tired faces!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Got stopped at the top of the gap Saturday as they came thru, didnt even know it was on til the cars in front started stopping!
    Very impressive to see the speed of the leaders going over the top. I believe the record for the Gap was broken by the stage winner, 14 mins odd?
    Thats incredible!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭buffalo

Raam wrote: »
    Heartache for the Swiss rider today. How close was that?!

Good use of team tactics within the bunch from the Dutch.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/other-sports/bugter-seizes-r%C3%A1s-tailteann-victory-with-suprise-last-lap-attack-on-final-stage-1.3510648
    However, it seemed that there may have been more to the dramatic turnaround than was apparent. A rider told The Irish Times at the finish that Bugter’s Dutch teammates deliberately hemmed Thiery in on the final circuit, slowing him down and bringing him backwards in the bunch just as Bugter made what would be the race-winning move. Asked about this by The Irish Times, Thiery was diplomatic. “I have nothing to say about that . . . everybody has their own strategy, their own idea about cycling, about sport,” he said, preferring not to elaborate further.

“I don’t know what happened there,” said Bugter, when asked about the claim. “We were with five guys. I think it is normal that you don’t let the Swiss guys have the best position in the peloton. But I don’t know what happened.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

terrydel wrote: »
    Got stopped at the top of the gap Saturday as they came thru, didnt even know it was on til the cars in front started stopping!
    Very impressive to see the speed of the leaders going over the top. I believe the record for the Gap was broken by the stage winner, 14 mins odd?
    Thats incredible!

was it? Ryan Sherlock won't be happy!

• Advertisement

1bryan wrote: »
    was it? Ryan Sherlock won't be happy!

Seems so. He'll have to get out and beat it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

Thats incredible!

Was caught halfway up myself and got a great view of them struggling up. Robert McCarthy was killing himself trying to hold on to the front group. Notabale how tired looking some of the lads at the back were compared to the semi-pros.

A greedy commissaire might make a few francs if he stood in the right spot on that hill!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Amazing week! Really hope they get a sponsor sorted for next year! Would be a shame to see it go, even a county only to keep it going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Was lucky enough to be in the cavalcade of cars for the last stage... some balls on them lads making their way through the cars back to the peleton! Brave lads!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

Bambaata wrote: »
    Amazing week! Really hope they get a sponsor sorted for next year! Would be a shame to see it go, even a county only to keep it going.

My opinion as a non-racing weekender is that the foreign teams don't really add much to the whole thing, apart from being good cyclists obviously. The county rider is outclassed and only the very best can hope for a stage placing, maybe snatch a win on their best day. So they trail around for 8 days trying to overcome the disadvantage they've started with.
    Only the lads who have gone semi pro themselves, Shaw, Dunbar, McCarthy, McKenna, and lads like Morton, McCrystal in a wonder year, in recent years have a chance to beat them.
    So in reality these foreign teams who spend their weekends racing the level below pro in Europe will be the ones to decide the race. But what do they bring to the Ras to warrant the invite? Will Clement Fankhauser, gentleman and all as he is, bring the kids screaming to the school wall to watch the Ras go by? No he won't because the foreign teams have as much stardust to them as a damp squib. But the local fella riding for his county, engaged in a battle with the brute from Dublin/the North/the West/ etc can be a figure of legend on our local scene, even if he can't sometimes match the watts of a Belgian semi-pro. It's like putting our small scale league of Ireland soccer teams against okayish European opposition (Brondby or Legia Warsaw maybe) as opposed to sticking to the GAA model of local competition, junior club to county senior, where we all know what our colours are and who represents them. (I was sad to see Kerrymen in two teams wearing club gear for example).
    Would a county setup be such a let down to the casual fan, used to watching Contador battling Nibali? I was at possibly the decisive climb of this week's Ras and saw not one single casual fan - Ras fans would love it in any shape or form i think personally.
    As I said at the start of this i don't race. Maybe the racing cyclists love the centrepiece of the year to be mixing with the big boys for a week. Maybe it's pitched at just the right level where the very best can realistically aim for a good result. Personally i think it's an unexciting race, won by lads I'll never hear of again and with nothing to grab the attention of the wider public. As a spectacle, the racers flash past me in 10 seconds, much like the stages of the Giro I've seen, neither a great entertainment.
    I'd love of it was made a county competition again. 30ish teams of 5, 6 or 7 each. Never mind the uci classification

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

My opinion as a non-racing weekender is that the foreign teams don't really add much to the whole thing, apart from being good cyclists obviously. The county rider is outclassed and only the very best can hope for a stage placing, maybe snatch a win on their best day. So they trail around for 8 days trying to overcome the disadvantage they've started with.
    Only the lads who have gone semi pro themselves, Shaw, Dunbar, McCarthy, McKenna, and lads like Morton, McCrystal in a wonder year, in recent years have a chance to beat them.
    So in reality these foreign teams who spend their weekends racing the level below pro in Europe will be the ones to decide the race. But what do they bring to the Ras to warrant the invite? Will Clement Fankhauser, gentleman and all as he is, bring the kids screaming to the school wall to watch the Ras go by? No he won't because the foreign teams have as much stardust to them as a damp squib. But the local fella riding for his county, engaged in a battle with the brute from Dublin/the North/the West/ etc can be a figure of legend on our local scene, even if he can't sometimes match the watts of a Belgian semi-pro. It's like putting our small scale league of Ireland soccer teams against okayish European opposition (Brondby or Legia Warsaw maybe) as opposed to sticking to the GAA model of local competition, junior club to county senior, where we all know what our colours are and who represents them. (I was sad to see Kerrymen in two teams wearing club gear for example).
    Would a county setup be such a let down to the casual fan, used to watching Contador battling Nibali? I was at possibly the decisive climb of this week's Ras and saw not one single casual fan - Ras fans would love it in any shape or form i think personally.
    As I said at the start of this i don't race. Maybe the racing cyclists love the centrepiece of the year to be mixing with the big boys for a week. Maybe it's pitched at just the right level where the very best can realistically aim for a good result. Personally i think it's an unexciting race, won by lads I'll never hear of again and with nothing to grab the attention of the wider public. As a spectacle, the racers flash past me in 10 seconds, much like the stages of the Giro I've seen, neither a great entertainment.
    I'd love of it was made a county competition again. 30ish teams of 5, 6 or 7 each. Never mind the uci classification

Nothing beats the thrill of racing against the pros. The gap has decreased in standard over the years. The county riders now are fairly prepared and organised for the event and can mix with the pros for almost the entire ras. Any one doing this race is in top condition and has huge ability because its alot of money resources and time otherwise and then you must make the time gaps as well everyday. People know their abilities too.

I was just upgraded to A2 and i know i wouldnt be good enough for this race. Thats why i have hugh respect to all that do it and finish it.

Results for the county riders are possible too. One of the killarney riders was in the top 15 for 3 or 4 stages and cigala was competing in most of the top 10 placings. A good bunch rider with decent ability would do alright here in the Ras. Some of the pros doing this race will be future TDF and Giro stars in few years. Thats the level it is at and to say that you were racing with some of these future stars is a real honour and achievement to those who do the Ras.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Would be interesting to have a list of top names who have done it on their way up.

Mark Cavendish, Andre Greipel and Tony Martin for starters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 701 ✭✭✭QueensGael

John Dagenkolb is a Man of the Rás, won the sprinters' jersey in his day IIRC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

Lukas Postlberger. The Yates brothers. Paddy Bevans. Haydn Roulston (was on the way back down, to be fair), Jan Kirsipuu (Sammy B outsprinted him) and the ever-pleasant Francesco Reda (who likes both Irish people and sheep).

Amprodude wrote: »
    Nothing beats the thrill of racing against the pros. The gap has decreased in standard over the years. The county riders now are fairly prepared and organised for the event and can mix with the pros for almost the entire ras. Any one doing this race is in top condition and has huge ability because its alot of money resources and time otherwise and then you must make the time gaps as well everyday. People know their abilities too.

I was just upgraded to A2 and i know i wouldnt be good enough for this race. Thats why i have hugh respect to all that do it and finish it.

Results for the county riders are possible too. One of the killarney riders was in the top 15 for 3 or 4 stages and cigala was competing in most of the top 10 placings. A good bunch rider with decent ability would do alright here in the Ras. Some of the pros doing this race will be future TDF and Giro stars in few years. Thats the level it is at and to say that you were racing with some of these future stars is a real honour and achievement to those who do the Ras.

I thought a2 guys would be able for it no? I know little to nothing about racing but was under the impression that The Ras might have a couple of guys right down to A4 just trying to get to the finish.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Amprodude wrote: »
    Coverage of the race was poor this year. Not like other years. The Twitter updates were beyond poor the first few days. It was hard to find out what was going on.

In fairness An post did a fine job with the Ras and promoting the race the years they were involved.
    I thought the coverage was decent, maybe need to prod the likes of RTE sport and Newstalk OTB a bit more. The only other thing would be to open up their twitter feed to a few people. There were a few Drogheda lads putting up great updates and short videos that may have got better coverage if they were through the official feed.
    I thought a2 guys would be able for it no? I know little to nothing about racing but was under the impression that The Ras might have a couple of guys right down to A4 just trying to get to the finish.

A2 and upwards only. They used to let lower groups in but I imagine the eliminations etc meant it was inappropriate. I think it is better for having restricted it. One of my clubs riders done his first league race 13 months ago and finished a man of the Ras this week.

Absolutely brilliant event this year, the team have done themselves proud. Considering their starting point, it is fair to say, if you didn't know that their main sponsor walked the year before, you probably would not have realised such was the level of organisation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭harringtonp

I know one A1 rider who picked up 47 points last year and was finishing in the bottom 20 riders each day. It was his first Ras and his aim was to get around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭Bambaata

I know one A1 rider who picked up 47 points last year and was finishing in the bottom 20 riders each day. It was his first Ras and his aim was to get around.

I must have been with him most days :P

If you are good riding in the bunch then down to A3 might be ok, seeing as im woeful at that i made it a hard week for myself!!! Each day was generally madness for the first 45-90mins of speeds anywhere from 45-50/55km/hr, finally a break goes, the swiss let it go, a lull for 10-15mins at about 35-40km/hr whilst people refuel from cars, stop to piss etc and then the drive starts. Any crashes mid pack made for hard chases and any decent hill was generally hard going. The top guys showed why they are the top guys on the really challenging days!!

I can see why people ,might think theres not much value in having lots of lower grade pros/young up and comers but for me it was about experiencing the whole setup, with the pros. Even if it were Irish only id still not likely finish much better so i hope it remains as it is. Amazingly organised and a real buzz about it, was great rolling through the towns with people out cheering, even if it meant for a potential lineout on the other side as the chase is on to regroup! Glad to have experienced many Ras lineouts :) Better still ive been granted permission by my wife if it is on again and i can find a team :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

Would be interesting to have a list of top names who have done it on their way up.

Mark Cavendish, Andre Greipel and Tony Martin for starters

Shane Archibald, Danny Pate (former Sky) both Downing brothers , Kristian House, Mark Scanlon, Chris newton. I'll have to dig out my old GC sheets, Germianas Bagdonas who went on to ride for AG2R after winning it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

My opinion as a non-racing weekender is that the foreign teams don't really add much to the whole thing, apart from being good cyclists obviously. The county rider is outclassed and only the very best can hope for a stage placing, maybe snatch a win on their best day. So they trail around for 8 days trying to overcome the disadvantage they've started with. Only the lads who have gone semi pro themselves, Shaw, Dunbar, McCarthy, McKenna, and lads like Morton, McCrystal in a wonder year, in recent years have a chance to beat them. So in reality these foreign teams who spend their weekends racing the level below pro in Europe will be the ones to decide the race. But what do they bring to the Ras to warrant the invite? Will Clement Fankhauser, gentleman and all as he is, bring the kids screaming to the school wall to watch the Ras go by? No he won't because the foreign teams have as much stardust to them as a damp squib. But the local fella riding for his county, engaged in a battle with the brute from Dublin/the North/the West/ etc can be a figure of legend on our local scene, even if he can't sometimes match the watts of a Belgian semi-pro. It's like putting our small scale league of Ireland soccer teams against okayish European opposition (Brondby or Legia Warsaw maybe) as opposed to sticking to the GAA model of local competition, junior club to county senior, where we all know what our colours are and who represents them. (I was sad to see Kerrymen in two teams wearing club gear for example). Would a county setup be such a let down to the casual fan, used to watching Contador battling Nibali? I was at possibly the decisive climb of this week's Ras and saw not one single casual fan - Ras fans would love it in any shape or form i think personally. As I said at the start of this i don't race. Maybe the racing cyclists love the centrepiece of the year to be mixing with the big boys for a week. Maybe it's pitched at just the right level where the very best can realistically aim for a good result. Personally i think it's an unexciting race, won by lads I'll never hear of again and with nothing to grab the attention of the wider public. As a spectacle, the racers flash past me in 10 seconds, much like the stages of the Giro I've seen, neither a great entertainment. I'd love of it was made a county competition again. 30ish teams of 5, 6 or 7 each. Never mind the uci classification

You forgot Conn McDunphy in that list. Lad had an outstanding week for someone who did his final exams in the last few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭happyhappy

I had a great hour at the top of the Shay Elliot on Saturday, waiting for them to come through. 25Sean was blasting out old skool tunes on speakers and then had beers to offer the lads in the gruppetto and the group in front of them. And yes, some of them took them! About 100 of us at the top and a great atmosphere.

I’m still amazed at how fast the break went over the top, Conn McDunphy in the middle of them. Absolute animals. An A4 like me can only dream!

One thing that I questioned though was the two club riders (in club gear) who didn’t pull over for the gruppetto and ‘raced’ up the climb with them in the middle of the group. It was a lack of respect to fellow club riders who were on day 7 of the Ras and on the first of two Cat 1 climbs in a row.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭circler

happyhappy wrote: »
    I had a great hour at the top of the Shay Elliot on Saturday, waiting for them to come through. 25Sean was blasting out old skool tunes on speakers and then had beers to offer the lads in the gruppetto and the group in front of them. And yes, some of them took them! About 100 of us at the top and a great atmosphere.

Sounds deadly. I was on me own in the middle of nowhere and it was done and dusted in about 15 minutes :)
    One thing that I questioned though was the two club riders (in club gear) who didn’t pull over for the gruppetto and ‘raced’ up the climb with them in the middle of the group. It was a lack of respect to fellow club riders who were on day 7 of the Ras and on the first of two Cat 1 climbs in a row.

Arseholes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

I25Sean was blasting out old skool tunes on speakers

Legend!!

Some of them would be fine but others maybe not. I'm not really a climber so I probably be shot early in the ras :):) I suppose you could train for it but it's still hard. There are plenty of great riders in the country who do Irish cycling proud and perform well in the race. I reckon you would at the very least need to be an strong A2 doing It. The standard of Irish domestic racing A1-A2 is very high and the ras is a level above that again, its tough racing and it's 8 long days too.

• Advertisement

Shane Archibald, Danny Pate (former Sky) both Downing brothers , Kristian House, Mark Scanlon, Chris newton. I'll have to dig out my old GC sheets, Germianas Bagdonas who went on to ride for AG2R after winning it.

Simon Richardson too.

Advertisement