Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2018 Rás

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

How do guys do hours of intensity ? To benefit from it recovery is needed. If I were training for it would think days starting Monday would have to be something like

Rest, HIIT, Z2, Z2, Rest, Z2 Long, Z2 long

My typical week back in 2015 was
    M: core (2hrs)
    T: intense rollers (1hr)
    W: short recovery spin (2hrs)
    F: day off
    S: targetted spin (2hrs)
    S: long steady spin (4-5hrs)

That varied once the season started, as weekend and mid-week racing provided great workouts!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

buffalo wrote: »

That varied once the season started, as weekend and mid-week racing provided great workouts!

Would you not burn out with that schedule?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,417 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Amprodude wrote: »

Well if you're preparing for 8 successive days of intensive cycling if you don't prepare with something like that you would never last the course

Beasty wrote: »
    Well if you're preparing for 8 successive days of intensive cycling if you don't prepare with something like that you would never last the course

Fair point. I could never see myself lasting that schedule :)

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,417 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Fair point. I could never see myself lasting that schedule :)
    Perhaps you're not destined to become a "Man of the Ras" then....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

That schedule doesn't look too hefty compared to what some would be doing.

It all depends on what your starting point is really, what your 'training age' is. I finished my 2nd Ras this year, but found it a lot easier despite weighing 6 kgs heavier than last time (:eek:), training maybe slightly less in terms of overall hours, taking more rest days, and turning 40.

But I'd an additional 3 years of structured training and racing under my belt. Experience counts for a lot, I finished up well within the top 100 overall. I'd 2 'bad days' where I was shelled early and lost the bulk of my time on GC, but both were more down to a mixture of poor positioning and race situations (held up by crash etc), than a severe lack of legs.

It's hard to describe a typical week - because it would vary month by month. I started structured training in November, put in 5 solid months in the run up to Ras Mumhan, that's where the hard work was done. It'd be something like this starting off:
    Gym work 3 times a week - an hour (including warmup). Wouldn't be working legs every time.
    Starting out maybe Sweet spot type intervals Tues + Thurs, 1-1.5 hours
    Steady Z2 spins on Saturdays + Sundays, 3-4 hours each
    Gym work would reduce, I'd add in the Wednesday on the bike, and the intervals would start coming up in intensity, as the racing season approached. Saturday might be some intervals as well.

Additional to that I commute on the bike to work Monday to Friday, it's only 7 kilometres and I take it very handy. By very handy, I mean that I have a triple on the commuting bike and I stick it in the granny ring on any sort of incline. Other commuters pass me by as I saunter along, I view commuting as active recovery.

Recovery weeks would also be built into the plan, maybe every 4th or 5th week. If you take out the commuting you're probably looking at 8-10 hours on the bike on average a week.

I think I'd be doing a high level of training with or without the Ras though. I just love riding my bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

buffalo wrote: »

That seems like a well balanced plan to me. If you take core as a "rest day" then you have 2 days off the bike in a week which I would have thought is important for sustained training. And with the 5 days I see 2 HIIT days with a 2hr recovery (though pehaps z2 really ?) day in between which is well thought out. The long steady is looked after on Sunday and I would guess Saturday is in the Z3 area.

You hear of mad RAS training and I wonder how anyone can do that but this seems a perfect balance for someone working normal days during an Irish winter who is still trying to continue with some semblance of a normal life.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,452 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Harsh ? :eek:

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

greenspurs wrote: »

Harsh ? :eek:

The truth can be harsh...

I reckon I won't make it either (proving I can be just as harsh on myself:pac:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

Well done on your Ras Joker
    Just curious did you cut out the gym altogether or at what point did it reduce
    Can you give an indication of what you did in the gym? Thanks

You are correct in that. I won't ever see the day myself, im not good enough but i truely respect everyone that takes on the challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

Well done on your Ras Joker
    Just curious did you cut out the gym altogether or at what point did it reduce
    Can you give an indication of what you did in the gym? Thanks
    Thanks

I reduced it from 3 days to 2 initially, then cut it out I think in January sometime, on the advice of the coach I've been working with. Previously I'd have kept it up, there's differing schools of thought on it though. When I kept it up I'd mainly be doing upper body stuff - Pullups + Pushups of different variations, Rows, Plank and Core stuff. I enjoy that kind of training though, looking forward to getting back into it now.

The structured workouts would be varied, composed of the following exercises split over the week
    Deadlift variation - usually the Hex Bar deadlift
    Squat variation - I was using the Goblet Squat
    Kettlebell Swings
    Lunge variations - lateral lunge, walking lunge
    Jump variations - box jumps, broad jumps

On the non leg days some bench, rows, curls, pullups etc

Advertisement