Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bachelor's Quay

Options
  • 13-02-2018 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭

What monstronsity is this that has recently appeared along the quay wall on Bachelor's Quay :confused: Going by the 'X's marked on the little shelf along the rest of it, there is plenty more to come.

441608.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,292 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Looks like the standard of work we can expect from the flood relief scheme.......does anyone know what it actually is?

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

No idea, but is it a temporary barrier while the work on the wall?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

GavRedKing wrote: »
    No idea, but is it a temporary barrier while the work on the wall?

Knowing the council it probably IS the flood barrier

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

They made an awful balls of that entire area.

Has anyone seen what’s going on it’s up the road at the mercy?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

I wonder is that road space alongside it a bicycle lane? If so then as ugly as it is, that is the only logical reason I can see for it.
    To prevent cyclists from falling over the low wall perhaps ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,292 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

kub wrote: »
    I wonder is that road space alongside it a bicycle lane? If so then as ugly as it is, that is the only logical reason I can see for it.
    To prevent cyclists from falling over the low wall perhaps ?

Surely not. Looks like a death trap for cyclists more than anything. Imagine hitting that at speed, you could end up with a leg or arm jammed in behind the railing against the wall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Is the pedestrian walkway not inside the cycle lane (i.e. closer to the river)
    Is it a barrier to stop pedestrians falling over it?

Fcuk it, but its horrendous

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

It's temporary from what I understand

• Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

They made an awful balls of that entire area.

Has anyone seen what’s going on it’s up the road at the mercy?

Pass there every day either cycling or walking, it's quite the mess as the plastic barriers force you out into the traffic. As well there's loads of people parking where they probably shouldn't to make matter worse. Found the attached plan for how it's going to look sometime in the far future.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,394 ✭✭✭ofcork

Its a joke by the mercy a&e ambulace backs in and trucks cant get past.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

ofcork wrote: »
    Its a joke by the mercy a&e ambulace backs in and trucks cant get past.

I’ve no idea what the planners are upto.

Where the cars used to double park they put bollards, they then put double yellow lines on the outside of them.

Cars now fit back in with double yellow lines sitting on the main road next to the cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Something similar's been installed at Gaol Cross.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Jimmy Bottles

They’ve destroyed the Mercy. Widened the tooth path for no real reason. Caused havoc where the ambulances park and changed the traffic flow so that to go east, you now are forced down the side of the courthouse.

I’ve no idea what the planners are upto.

Where the cars used to double park they put bollards, they then put double yellow lines on the outside of them.

Cars now fit back in with double yellow lines sitting on the main road next to the cars.

For sure the sight of cars parked between the double yellow lines by the quay wall & the new lines by the road made me laugh!

The blight is spreading, looks like the ugliness is going to stretch all the way from the North Gate bridge to the Lee Maltings. The railings really are ugly compared to the old ones across on the North Mall. Does the council not give a damn or something :confused:

The stretch of ugly railing is finished, as suspected it goes all the way from the North Gate bridge to the Lee Maltings. Not sure why, have noticed one or two people sitting on so good way for people to fall into the river!

446783.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

opus wrote: »
    The stretch of ugly railing is finished, as suspected it goes all the way from the North Gate bridge to the Lee Maltings. Not sure why, have noticed one or two people sitting on so good way for people to fall into the river!

446783.jpg

Guessing it's part of the Patrick St bus lane implementation. With increased traffic along that stretch, maybe they needed a better barrier from the river?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,564 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Guessing it's part of the Patrick St bus lane implementation. With increased traffic along that stretch, maybe they needed a better barrier from the river?

They've put similar barriers on the bridge at Gaol Cross.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,315 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

opus wrote: »
    The blight is spreading, looks like the ugliness is going to stretch all the way from the North Gate bridge to the Lee Maltings. The railings really are ugly compared to the old ones across on the North Mall. Does the council not give a damn or something :confused:

Maybe they had a heap of scaffolding they wanted to get rid of?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,394 ✭✭✭ofcork

At least they sorted the ambulance parking made the spaces diagonal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,580 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Is it a barrier for a protected cycleway? I've seen the same ones elsewhere, they stop cyclists going flying into the river in theory. They're not much higher than the wall so not sure the point.

Don't think so as it's a pedestrian walkway along Bachelors Quay so the cycle lane (which only appears half way along) is separated by those plastic bollard things.

Anyway I've been cycling along the road by the old wall for years & managed not to fall into the river :)

Advertisement