Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Every single thread ending in what about the straight white male?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

pilly wrote: »
    Don't even know if that's sarcasm or not? :confused:

Like this thread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

"Every single thread"

Really?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Anyone else sick to death of every single thread ending in what about the straight white male.

The most random of subjects end up being about how victimised straight white males are.

I for one am bored to death of hearing it.

From your post it sounds like you want to censor men.

Would you not prefer a cup of tea or a safe space?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

There is a niggling subtle difference between white men moaning, whinging, little fragile masculinist tyrants ... and simply pointing the massive hypocrisies in this era of puritanical moral righteousness.

We live in the age of the digital witch-hunt and white cis hetero men are dead last in the victim Olympics (and winter victim Olympics). You can pretty much get away with saying anything you like about our group online. You will probably be applauded with absolutely no sense of irony.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

But but ... what about the straight white male?

/end thread

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Fr_Dougal wrote:
    From your post it sounds like you want to censor men.

No, not trying to censor at all, just letting people know how boring it's getting.

No, not trying to censor at all, just letting people know how boring it's getting.

Ya. Screw this, I'm going back to Buzzfeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭munster87

Well it's about time someone said it out, we just don't FCUKING CARE.

Who are 'we'?

Debtocracy wrote:
    As a woman, you've become so accustomed to privilege that the white male fight for equality feels like oppression

I am quite privileged, you're right there, that's why I don't go crying "what about me" all day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭munster87

Myself and every sane person I know.

Ah Ok that answers my question above. Forgot everyone cares what you think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Can't say I've noticed.

Ah, it’s there a bit. But it’s probably partially down to the usership of boards skewing male a bit. Well the usership used to anyway, not sure if that’s changed.

What I don’t understand is why are the (relatively few) male posters who go on like this trying to emulate the worst elements of feminism? Whining about really minor things that anyone with real worries will just shrug and roll their eyes at. That’s long been a criticism directed at modern feminism and deservedly so. But some men’s rights activists seem determined to go down that road too which is bizarre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

I could easily start a thread about what bores me, but there’s no point.

What do you propose here?

Personally, I can't see what the problem is. Discrimination/harassment/abuse against women is regularly being brought up in the media, and often raises its' issues here on boards. The gender wage gap is a very common indicator of that. But when it comes to male rights, it's somehow terrible to raise the hypocrisy of feminism or to raise concerns about genuine equality. TBH I'm all for any movements that raises the inequality that is encouraged in the pursuit of "equality" for women.

Not too bothered by the white male issue.

Imagine if you took all the inventions and innovations of the straight white male away from the world.

Wonder what that would look like.

Well, any of those innovations could have been thought up by numerous people, I reckon, male or female. You’d need to analyse them all against the timeline of the development of suffrage and women’s rights and figure out how likely it would have been that women had access to the education that would have helped them in their inventions. It’s a good deal more complicated than “Men invented all the stuff because they are better”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Yes Louise

• Advertisement

Perhaps a DMC ?

*sits down at the feet of the big wise man and stares in to his all knowing eyes*

Please Mr Kanoff can you tell me what DMC means?

Yeah I've no clue either. Can't keep up with all these initials.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Jack Kanoff

*sits down at the feet of the big wise man and stares in to his all knowing eyes*

Where I'm from it can be a Dopey Married C**t

Or if we see a certain type of overprivileged female...a shout of DMC goes up....

RUN..DMC
    ;)

Or if we see a certain type of overprotected female...a shout of DMC goes up....

RUN..DMC
    ;)

You fool. You've done mansplained to them.

pjohnson wrote: »
    You fool. You've done mansplained to them.

But they need it, no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

Anyone else sick to death of every single thread ending in what about the straight white male.

The most random of subjects end up being about how victimised straight white males are.

I for one am bored to death of hearing it.
    and its the governments or the banks faults

But they need it, no?

Their bretheren would be disgusted they asked those with evil penis for help. Just leave them. Its just a trap.

So you're calling me a ****? Hmm, think that's in the realm of a personal insult don't you?

So you're calling me a ****? Hmm, think that's in the realm of a personal insult don't you?

See Jack. You're in the wrong now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Welcome to the internet in 2018.

Some of the above is probably in jest, sarcasm but we really have no comprehension of the pointlessness of that which we choose to get riled up about in this day and age.

Some genius anthropologist could do a Phd on humans need for conflict as a driving force in our existence and being but their work would be rejected because their abstract opened with "Ever since the dawn of man".

None of mine was meant in jest, that's (from my own experience) literally what the online culture war is about. Whether the kitchen should change (install air-con and a thermostat to accommodate people who can't stand the heat), or whether the people who can't stand the heat should get out. People like Sarkeesian believe that culture should change to accomodate the sensibilities of newcomers, people on the likes of 4chan, Reddit, Anonymous etc believe that as the people who essentially created internet subculture, they shouldn't have to moderate their language or anything like that to accomodate newcomers who have more of a restrictive view on what is and is not acceptable.

I think the kitchen analogy works pretty well for this. It's a battle between "we like the internet the way it is, we won't change so either accept it or get out" and "the internet should change if its current culture is putting new people off joining in".

pjohnson wrote:
    Yes Louise

Now that's a prime example. I would have no clue who that mad bitch is only for the fact that there's a whole thread about her here.

I have literally never heard of her otherwise.

pjohnson wrote: »
    See Jack. You're in the wrong now.

I shall go and self mutilate my ginormous appendage by way of apology

pjohnson wrote:
    Yes Louise

Now that's a prime example. I would have no clue who that mad bitch is only for the fact that there's a whole thread about her here.

I have literally never heard of her otherwise.

Are you married?
    'i pity the fool" !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

delorean-motor-company.png

:D

• Advertisement

I like both abbreviations for DMC. The first one because men marry too :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

I like both abbreviations for DMC. The first one because men marry too :D

But unlikely to be C's.

But unlikely to be C's.

I have heard that word used in an insulting manner towards men. Oddly enough.

i thought we were talking about run dmc :(

_Dara_ wrote: »
    That’s long been a criticism directed at modern feminism and deservedly so.

There is little mainstream real world criticism about feminism. Real world criticism of men is very real and very acceptable.
    _Dara_ wrote: »
    Well, any of those innovations could have been thought up by numerous people, I reckon, male or female. You’d need to analyse them all against the timeline of the development of suffrage and women’s rights and figure out how likely it would have been that women had access to the education that would have helped them in their inventions. It’s a good deal more complicated than “Men invented all the stuff because they are better”.

Well it's funny that boys are going backward in education in the West and it may be because the institutional power is with the ladies or maybe it's because the girls were just better all along.

bluewolf wrote: »
    i thought we were talking about run dmc :(

Yeah, It's tricky
    This thread keeps making me ask, What's it all about...but as the op said.. you talk too much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Max Rhythmic Boardroom

Like how whingebag sjws who blame straight white men for their ills and inability to get jobs etc because interpretive feminist dance theory or gender studies is worthless is getting tiresome or trying to look for offense in everything (see the friends backlash on Twitter)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

In my experience its the people who are victimised the least that have the freedom and tools to make the most noise about their perceived slights

Oppressed women in the BBC for instance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

All I see is every single group no matter what colour or what pretend gender they are today, they are all whinging and they are all boring.

• Advertisement

Like how whingebag sjws who blame straight white men for their ills and inability to get jobs etc because interpretive feminist dance theory or gender studies is worthless is getting tiresome or trying to look for offense in everything (see the friends backlash on Twitter)

Yeah, agreed. That **** is fairly boring too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Anyway the op is perpetuating what (s)he wants to stop.

cantdecide wrote: »
    There is little mainstream real world criticism about feminism. Real world criticism of men is very real and very acceptable.

Well it's funny that boys are going backward in education in the West and it may be because the institutional power is with the ladies or maybe it's because the girls were just better all along.

I don’t think either gender is better!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 125 ✭✭Koala Sunshine

I find many feminists are motivated by their personal neuroses. I surmise it is quite common for them to be jealous of men, jealous that their attractiveness fades and there is little they can do about it, while men can earn their attractiveness through achieving high social status.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

I find many feminists are motivated by their personal neuroses. I surmise it is quite common t for them to be jealous of men, jealous that their attractiveness fades and their is little they can do about it, while men can earn their attractiveness through achieving high social status.

Oh No You Didn't! :eek:

I find many feminists are motivated by their personal neuroses. I surmise it is quite common t for them to be jealous of men, jealous that their attractiveness fades and their is little they can do about it, while men can earn their attractiveness through achieving high social status.

Ah bless. Is that what the missus tells ya?

• Advertisement

TBF many women still can as they got older. They just put in the work on their appearance to compensate, and I know quite a few guys married to women older than themselves, and very happy. The success through social status is easily applicable to both genders.

The difference is many of these feminists want to get away without looking after their appearance, not taking care of their skin, gaining a lot of weight or not wearing nice clothes that suits their circumstances. Men are objectifying them, not appreciating them etc etc.

And if a guy does the same, he's a fat slob. No excuses for him not getting the right kind of attention. :D

Ah bless. Is that what the missus tells ya?

Obviously touched a nerve :D

Obviously touched a nerve

Not at all sunshine. Made me chuckle that men still believe the line that we love them for their success in business.

We only say that to ugly men to make them feel better.

Not at all sunshine. Made me chuckle that men still believe the line that we love them for their success in business.

We only say that to ugly men to make them feel better.

Exhibit A :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Its dem feckin greeks!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement