Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Big 4 Corporate Finance

• 13-02-2018 5:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi All,

Just want to get people's opinion on the Big 4 corporate finance departments in relation to type of work they do, culture in the workplace, exit opportunities etc

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

I too would also be interested in an answer to what you're asking. However, my primary degree is in Engineering, so I may not be taken seriously, even having only completed 4 CPA exams and a Higher Cert in Business and Accounting.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

If you browse their websites you'll get idea that it covers a wide range of sins! In my time there and this was third years ago I was mainly involved in insolvency work, such as:

- Terminating staff: handling the redundancy process, application for funds to pay out etc
    - Supervision factory operations in cases where we ran the factory for a while to use up raw materials
    - Dealing with creditors in terms of ROT etc
    - Selling off the assets of the company via tenders, auctions etc.
    - Dealing with the guards in cases where former employees committed criminal offences
    - Preparing all the various creditor and court reports
    - Attendance at the high court when required
    - Attendance at creditors meetings (can be a hairy experience, as people tend to get upset when they are not being paid)
    - Packaging up parts of a company to sell of as a spin off to investors or management buyouts
    - Debt collection: visiting debtors to collect the cash, instructing solicitors to sell of debtors assets, dealing with the sheriff, county registrar etc
    - Dealing with personal insolvencies
    - Dealing with the revenue commissioners in respect of unpaid taxes, inspections etc. (sometimes you even get to tell the IOT that he will not get paid :-))
    - Dealing with some rather rather shady characters, who don't mind a bit of aggression!

It was always very interesting and you do come a way with a very good commercial sense of things. So entry into the commercial field is definitely an option.

But that said I know others who were there at the time with me and had a totally different experience working on floatations, valuations, raising capital etc..

In terms of exit opportunities, coming from a Big 4 firm puts you in a better position than most of your peers. As an accountant, it is never a bad thing to have worked in a Big 4 firm.

Advertisement