Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relocating to Dundalk with family?

Options
  • 13-02-2018 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hey Guys,

I have been offered a job in Dundalk. The salary is €25.000 gross +€2.000 bonus and €1500 relocation package.I am thinking of relocating with my family(Husband and two kids,18 and 5 years old).
    What do you guys think? Will we be able to make ends meet? My husband will also look for work as soon as we move there.

Cheers
    roli031399

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Tenigate

It's not enough for a family. A single person might manage on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Roli031399

And what if my husband would also have a job?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

To give you an idea, my husband and I make a combined €40k ish a year, gross. We have no children but 9 pets that cost about €250 a month. We have a fairly low mortgage in the €600 a month region and to be honest we're ok. We could live on less, but it wouldn't be fun.

25k gross for a family would be a no go for me and for your husband it all depends on what job he can get.

No one here can tell you if you can afford it. You need to add up what your expected costs will be, rent, food, bill etc. You can't just wing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Mr. Muddle

I just had a quick look at houses to rent in Dundalk on Daft.ie, a 3 bed seems to be €1,200 to €1,400 a month, so you would be paying more than half your income on rent alone before you even pay TAX, USC, PRSI, utilities and day to day living costs.

Are you moving from another part of Ireland or from a different country? I know rents in Dundalk will be a lot cheaper then Dublin but other expenses will be the same and you probably would need a car, public transport will not be as good as Dublin

I can't see how you can make that work, I have 2 teenagers and they are very expensive, if your husband got a job and your 18 year old got something part time you could do it, but then you would have childcare for your 5 year old.

Advertisement