Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Import refurbished Laptops from Asia

• 13-02-2018 7:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi All,

Good day.

I've been reading couple of Revenue and Tax related docs and wanted to make sure this is fine.

I have couple of refurbished laptops in Asia that I'm planning to import to Ireland. Is that allowed in the first place. The price of each would be around 200 euros.

I don't have any company registered here as I would like to try it for few days first and see how it goes. Also it looks like it is difficult to find a low cost shipper to transport these laptops. Please let me know of any leads that would help.

@Rudolf289 - I looked at your reviews on similar import threads. Could you help me with this info.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 794 ✭✭✭RUDOLF289

Good afternoon Saivasudev,

First of all, happy to provide advice.

You are allowed to bring in refurbished laptops, there are no restrictions.

Secondly, the import duty on computer equipment is 0% (zero)

VAT is 23% over the cost of the laptops plus transport costs. Obviously, if you are a VAT registered trader you can reclaim VAT paid on imports through your periodic VAT returns. It perhaps depends on what your target market is. If you are doing B2B it may be worth your while registering for VAT. If it is B2C it may be easier to work without VAT registration and accept the VAT paid on imports as a cost.

If you want to PM me, we can have a look at what can be done to move the laptops in a cost efficient manner.

Cheers,
    Rudolf289

• Registered Users Posts: 2 SaiVasudev

RUDOLF289 wrote: »
    Good afternoon Saivasudev,

First of all, happy to provide advice.

You are allowed to bring in refurbished laptops, there are no restrictions.

Secondly, the import duty on computer equipment is 0% (zero)

VAT is 23% over the cost of the laptops plus transport costs. Obviously, if you are a VAT registered trader you can reclaim VAT paid on imports through your periodic VAT returns. It perhaps depends on what your target market is. If you are doing B2B it may be worth your while registering for VAT. If it is B2C it may be easier to work without VAT registration and accept the VAT paid on imports as a cost.

If you want to PM me, we can have a look at what can be done to move the laptops in a cost efficient manner.

Cheers,
    Rudolf289

Thanks for your kind response. It would be helpful to discuss further on this.

I'm unable to PM you here as I'm a new user here. May I get your contact details to PM you.

Kind regards,
    Sai (saivasudev23(at)gmail)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭Homer

You may also have a problem shipping lithium batteries unless they are properly separated from the laptop and correctly labeled which could add to your costs.
    I know most of the major shipping companies had strict protocols in place but that was a couple of years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Just going to throw this out there, you'd want to make sure the markings are in English and everything has passed relevant CE/EU guidelines. Likewise for the keyboards, power supplies and display outputs. I know we are moving towards a standardised world, but you don't want something arriving that you can't sell. Even a UK and US keyboard are slightly different.

Advertisement