Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disaster after attempted DRAM Overclock to 3000mhz

Options
  • 13-02-2018 8:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,039 ✭✭✭

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600
    DRAM: Crucial Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000mhz 2 x 8GB Hynix A-dye
    Mobo: ASUS X-370A

Since I built my PC I had to under clock my RAM speed to 2133mhz even though it was capable of 3000mhz.

This is to due to the sh1tty compatibility of DRAM for Ryzen motherboards.

Sometimes I was able to clock it to 2800mhz using auto settings in the BIOS but it only booted sometimes, other times it would post into the bios safe mode.

So quite frustrated, I tried overlooking it by changing timings and voltages based on this tool today:

http://www.overclock.net/forum/13-amd-general/1640919-ryzen-dram-calculator-1-0-0-beta-overclocking-dram-am4.html.

These are the settings I dialed in in the BIOS:

441624.png

Afterward rebooting I got blue screens while trying to boot windows, and most of the time now the PC won’t even POST.

In between attempts I tried using only one stick of RAM and managed to get back into windows once and launch a game, but now even using the same ram stick the pc fails to post even with the CMOS pins shorted to clear settings.

One setting which was strange was the SOC voltage.
    You couldn’t just set it to 1.025, instead there was an offset option to add the voltage to the default, the default was something like 0.850.

So I subtracted 0.850 from 1.025 and used the remainder as the offset voltage to add, I presume I did that right.

TLDR, do you reckon the ram chips are now faulty after my tomfoolery or could it be the Motherboard also?

RAM prices are through the roof at the moment, I couldn’t have picked a worse time for it to happen.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Oldest and most obvious trick in the book, but... I don't suppose you have a different mobo or another system with said that you can OC the sticks on to see if they'll hit rated? At least then you'll know that its a mobo or xcompat issue and not the sticks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,039 ✭✭✭Doge

Solitaire wrote: »
    Oldest and most obvious trick in the book, but... I don't suppose you have a different mobo or another system with said that you can OC the sticks on to see if they'll hit rated? At least then you'll know that its a mobo or xcompat issue and not the sticks.

Managed to sort this in the thread i posted in PC Building and Upgrading!

Took out the CMOS battery and cleared the CMOS, and managed to get it to boot again.

I memtested the 2 sticks of RAM and they passed for 1 pass, so i doubt the RAM is the issue now.

Quite happy to run the RAM at 2133mhz after the big scare i got! :pac:

The a-die Hynix memory chips are harder to get to run at full speed.

Advertisement