Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drivers on the phones: its getting scary!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

I decided to count the number of drivers on phones on the way home just on one stretch of road , I was running home from work from the bottom of Grace Park road to the junction at collins ave. I counted 34 drivers using mobile phones I only seen 2 until the traffic slowed down (it was hard to see as I was running along) the traffic was moving albeit slowly I think we have a major problem in this country now with mobile phone use.

Judge would probably let them off because it was Valentines Day!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭Felexicon

I was almost involved in an incident heading from Sutton back in to Baldoyle on Saturday. Big queue of traffic had built up as the level crossing was down. It started to creep along just as I got to the tail end of it. As I was filtering through a car started to veer in towards the kerb and came quite close to me. Obviously I looked in to the car (we were traveling less than 5mph so would have been the slowest crash in history) and the young lady driving had her phone in her lap and was flicking through Snapchat. Had to stop and give her a shout to put the f&*king phone down. She looked at me like I had 2 heads for suggesting she would kill someone driving around looking down at her phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭mamax

Drive out into the country if ye want to see drivers on their phones with NO garda presence whatsoever.
    And very soon we will have the young lads in big tractors and trailers on the phone all day chatting up their young wans.
    Then you have the farmers on quads, without helmets and on the phone - anybody seen them lol
    Ireland's laws and police force are just a big joke unless you have a witness and the crime on HD video they do f**k all for you

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭LeChienMefiant

mamax wrote: »
    Drive out into the country if ye want to see drivers on their phones with NO garda presence whatsoever.
    Don't know how that's different to the places with a Garda presence. They are simply not interested in roads policing. It's a free for all.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Hurrache wrote: »
    It's not practical when you move from vehicle to vehicle that is either used by many people, or you don't use regularly. You may have to synch each time which can be tedious, especially if the phone book is synched. Then there's only a finite number of devices a unit will synch with, 5 seems to be the average I've experienced, so you then have to mess around and delete a device first.

I'm sure there's a solution somewhere in which you can synch a radio to a bluetooth device so that their ear piece connects to both, but it doesn't get around the fact that phones are used for more than just talking over.

How many vehicles are regularly used by more than 2 people? How many people regularly switch between more than 2 vehicles either.

People have this thinking with technology that if it can't do everything, and suit everyone it's a problem. Seriously, most phone calls can wait. So can most texts. There is not a tweet, or instagram, or snapchat message that can't wait. So this is a perceived problem, rather than an actual problem.

The thinking should be, and should always be. When I am operating a vehicle, there is a likely chance I can't communicate with people until it is safe to pull in and do so.

This instant need to answer any call, message etc is not a real need. Keeping your eyes on the road when operating a 2+ tonne of metal and observing around you, and getting to your destination safely is the only thing that matters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Noelmcgov28

I once saw a Garda in a Garda car driving round a roundabout while putting his phone to his ear. It drives me mad as I am doing driving lessons and if i make one tiny mistake such as forgetting to indicate on a roundabout I get blamed. 90% of drivers don't follow the rules of the road. It's ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭accensi0n

I once saw a Garda in a Garda car driving round a roundabout while putting his phone to his ear. It drives me mad as I am doing driving lessons and if i make one tiny mistake such as forgetting to indicate on a roundabout I get blamed. 90% of drivers don't follow the rules of the road. It's ridiculous.

Aren't they allowed if the phone use is in the act of their duties?

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nika Bolokov

Guy driving a 13 year old Bentley with white sunglasses on going up past the Glencairn Luas stop this morning on his phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nika Bolokov

Guy driving a 13 year old Bentley with white sunglasses on going up past the Glencairn Luas stop this morning on his phone.

Goes right past the British Ambassadors residence which has gardai watching the road.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,596 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

as mentioned previously, those lads probably have a brief to just watch the embassy and won't pursue a traffic offence if it means leaving their post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Noelmcgov28

accensi0n wrote: »

Not sure but surely they would have a bluetooth headset or something. They should have the same rules for using a phone while driving than anybody else. Who's to say that any of the people we see with their phones while driving aren't doctors or in a sector for emergency situations?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,965 ✭✭✭circadian

ED E wrote: »
    Yes, try pairing more than 4 handsets with your car kit.

I've got 6 different devices paired with both my Kia's no problem. Android Auto works perfectly on the Optima.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,826 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Goes right past the British Ambassadors residence which has gardai watching the road.

Not surprised at all, recently spotted a guy in a beat up old people carrier, one headlight looked damaged, the other one super bright, with his phone stuck to his ear and driving along the bus lane, Garda patrol car about 20metres in front of him and they ended up stopped at the same red light... the car might as well have been on fire for the amount of notice they took of the driver behind there squad car..

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭zedhead

Drives me mad. Slow moving traffic is the worst for it, but the cars are still moving and you need to be paying attention to whats going on around you. Saw some idiot driving while doing her eyebrows while exiting the M50, traffic was not moving that slowly, she had to have been going at least 30km/h. She had the rearview mirror angled towards her and her face right up in the mirror. So lucky she didnt crash.

On Instagram (and i would imagine snapchat) I regularly see people post to their stories while they are driving. Having to show the world the song that happens to be on the radio at that moment like its life or death - and even if they wait until they are stopped to send the post, they are still taking the video while clearly moving in traffic. I'd love if you could report them based on those posts as its clear evidence of them using their phone while in a moving vehicle!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I'd imagine those Gardai are not allowed to do anything but man their post. Otherwise anybody wanting to do something untoward the residence could send a decoy on the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭X6.430macman

zedhead wrote:
    On Instagram (and i would imagine snapchat) I regularly see people post to their stories while they are driving. Having to show the world the song that happens to be on the radio at that moment like its life or death - and even if they wait until they are stopped to send the post, they are still taking the video while clearly moving in traffic. I'd love if you could report them based on those posts as its clear evidence of them using their phone while in a moving vehicle!

That's what I can't seem to understand, how aren't they being reported or something for the amount of that that goes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,232 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Not sure but surely they would have a bluetooth headset or something. They should have the same rules for using a phone while driving than anybody else. Who's to say that any of the people we see with their phones while driving aren't doctors or in a sector for emergency situations?

Go back a page or two, it's been discussed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,965 ✭✭✭circadian

zedhead wrote: »
    Drives me mad. Slow moving traffic is the worst for it, but the cars are still moving and you need to be paying attention to whats going on around you. Saw some idiot driving while doing her eyebrows while exiting the M50, traffic was not moving that slowly, she had to have been going at least 30km/h. She had the rearview mirror angled towards her and her face right up in the mirror. So lucky she didnt crash.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/teen-survivor-crash-livestreamed-instagram-doesn-t-blame-driver-n786316

Someone died as a result of instagramming while driving last year. I don't understand how people even consider doing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

One option may be to report such incidents to Garda Traffic Watch: LINK
    Members of the public can report traffic-related incidents using the Traffic Watch lo-call number1890 205 805. These calls are answered and logged by civilian personnel at the Garda Information Services Centre, Castlebar, Mayo F23 D303. The incident is then forwarded to the relevant District Officer (Superintendent) for investigation.

The phrase "traffic-related incidents" is a bit vague in there but personally I'd assume that anything that endangers others qualifies. An Garda might not agree of course. I've used Traffic Watch several times in the past, mostly for reporting incidents that involved me directly, sometimes the phone wasn't answered, sometimes I never heard anything back, but sometimes it led to a conclusion that I was satisfied with (a warning to the driver concerned). The service is there, I think we should all use it more.

Depending on the severity of what you want to report, you might be better off ringing the most local garda station instead, if you happen to have their phone number. Or so I've been told by a Garda before. If they are notified quickly enough they might be able to send a Garda to the scene and apprehend the person if the situation merits it, going via Traffic Watch in that case just adds delay (although still had the benefit of your call being logged).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

accensi0n wrote: »

How do you know if it’s work related or personal? If you look at Garda on the beat in City Centre, many seem to be doing a lot of texting. It can’t all be work related.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭LeChienMefiant

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    How do you know if it’s work related or personal? If you look at Garda on the beat in City Centre, many seem to be doing a lot of texting. It can’t all be work related.
    The optics of Garda behaviour while working are awful.
    • In traffic looking the opposite way to any trouble.
    • Walking the beat, looking at the ground.
    • At events standing in a circle talking to each other.
    If you want to see how things should be done look at the Queensland and NSW police in Australia. They will be vigilant and professional and not look like they are waiters on a ciggie break.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭yorlum11

There are some clems on the road. There is the few that think holding the phone on front of their face and talking is easier. The mind boggles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭KwackerJack

A lot a people are a danger on the road!

All drivers, cyclists and pedestrians all do the below on a daily basis and all are distracting!

Talk on phone
    Text on phone
    Ear phones in

It's not only drivers, I've have peds and cyclists pull in front of me due to being on the phone or being defended by earphones.

Chances of having the Gardai near by are slim and for them to get tough will be impossibly as the PC and human rights brigade will complain we're treating lawbreakers to hard.

If you report it they rarely do anything or forget it and probably reclassify it as something else.

As for the judges.....if your a hard working and or law abiding and you do get a minor offence you will be punished. If your from a disadvantage area well you had a bad upbringing and your away scot free!!

What has this got to do with driving? Well the Judges live in the twilight zone and this has been well know for years so people begin to think ah sure I'll drive and talk on my phone because there is a slim chance of being caught and of I do go to court I'll slap on the sob story and sure ill be away with a small fine or a few quid to charity.

We have laws for a reason but the Gardai and the Judges may as well study the Argos catalogue because they make up their own rules

More generally though, I see the use of mobile phones while driving as a symptom of the greater problem of people simply choosing to not give a fcuk about those around them. Other symptoms include the many other common ones of running red lights, dangerous overtaking, etc., etc.

As far as I am concerned there is no excuse for any of that behaviour, the "need" to take a call, being in a hurry, "I didn't see the light", etc., are all poor excuses at best. They are typically just shorthand for "I chose to be more important than the rest of you in this instance, I didn't feel in any way inclined to acknowledge your existence or your right not to be subjected to my being an arse". And that applies whether the person is driving, cycling, or even walking - the risks posed by their actions may vary depending on their mode of transport at the time, but the underlying attitude is the same. It also apples even where that person is a "lovely person" the rest of the time, you'd be no more justified in putting others at risk in that single moment even if you were a modern Mother Teresa once off the roads.

It's a wider social problem but seems to be a particularly prevalent when it comes to sharing space on the roads. All too often we don't actually share the space at all, we turn it into a shoving match with little or no thought to the consequences.

I'm optimistic enough to believe that most of us can be educated to stop being arseholes. We can all assist with that by challenging awful behaviour when we see it - that doesn't have to mean shouting at strangers in traffic, it can simply mean pointing out to your travelling companion(s) when you see them doing something reckless or dangerous and let peer pressure take over. It's not a simple problem, there is no easy solution (Garda enforcement would help but it can never be a complete solution in itself), if we want things to get better I believe it'll take persistent effort from all of us.

And we have to apply the same standards to ourselves and our own behaviour of course, in many cases the only difference between any of us that consider ourselves to be "good" users of the road, and people that we'd label as arseholes, is a bad decision in the heat of the moment. We already see the effects of the self-serving justifications like "it was just a short phonecall, I thought it would be grand", or "the red light was just barely red", etc., that kind of insidious thinking can undermine the best of intentions whether it's from someone else or from ourselves.

As for the judges.....if your a hard working and or law abiding and you do get a minor offence you will be punished.

As it should be. You can't argue for others to be held accountable for their actions and simultaneously argue that you shouldn't be simply because you perceive your circumstances to be different to others.

Being a member of a society brings with it responsibilities. We can't simply pick and choose which of those responsibilities suit us, as and when they suit, that's exactly the kind of behaviour we are talking about when we complain of people using phones while driving, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

doozerie wrote: »
    More generally though, I see the use of mobile phones while driving as a symptom of the greater problem of people simply choosing to not give a fcuk about those around them. Other symptoms include the many other common ones of running red lights, dangerous overtaking, etc., etc.

As far as I am concerned there is no excuse for any of that behaviour, the "need" to take a call, being in a hurry, "I didn't see the light", etc., are all poor excuses at best. They are typically just shorthand for "I chose to be more important than the rest of you in this instance, I didn't feel in any way inclined to acknowledge your existence or your right not to be subjected to my being an arse". And that applies whether the person is driving, cycling, or even walking - the risks posed by their actions may vary depending on their mode of transport at the time, but the underlying attitude is the same. It also apples even where that person is a "lovely person" the rest of the time, you'd be no more justified in putting others at risk in that single moment even if you were a modern Mother Teresa once off the roads.

It's a wider social problem but seems to be a particularly prevalent when it comes to sharing space on the roads. All too often we don't actually share the space at all, we turn it into a shoving match with little or no thought to the consequences.

I'm optimistic enough to believe that most of us can be educated to stop being arseholes. We can all assist with that by challenging awful behaviour when we see it - that doesn't have to mean shouting at strangers in traffic, it can simply mean pointing out to your travelling companion(s) when you see them doing something reckless or dangerous and let peer pressure take over. It's not a simple problem, there is no easy solution (Garda enforcement would help but it can never be a complete solution in itself), if we want things to get better I believe it'll take persistent effort from all of us.

And we have to apply the same standards to ourselves and our own behaviour of course, in many cases the only difference between any of us that consider ourselves to be "good" users of the road, and people that we'd label as arseholes, is a bad decision in the heat of the moment. We already see the effects of the self-serving justifications like "it was just a short phonecall, I thought it would be grand", or "the red light was just barely red", etc., that kind of insidious thinking can undermine the best of intentions whether it's from someone else or from ourselves.

100% spot on IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

So what can we do about it?

steamsey wrote: »
    So what can we do about it?

As above, try reporting it to Traffic Watch.

But longer term, don't do it yourself and be critical of people you know that do it. Basically try to use social pressure to help discourage it within your own circle, and if everyone did likewise that would have an impact too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Arequipa

I think for a start we can put our phones away 100% when we drive...
    i set up a podcast on play via bluetooth & then put my phones away before I set off in the car...

even bringing up the issue with family and friends can help...

without sounding overly dramatic... i think people realising how dangerous using a phone while driving is.. will probably save lives

A

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭zedhead

Arequipa wrote: »
    I think for a start we can put our phones away 100% when we drive...
    i set up a podcast on play via bluetooth & then put my phones away before I set off in the car...

even bringing up the issue with family and friends can help...

without sounding overly dramatic... i think people realising how dangerous using a phone while driving is.. will probably save lives

A

Myself and my parents bring it up regularly with my younger sister. She claims not to do it anymore when we bring it up but I know she does. Even over just how irrationally angry she gets when I don't pick up an 'urgent' call or message while I am driving.

One of my friends also does it and I have repeatedly asked that she at least not message me while she is driving. She tried putting her phone in the boot for a short while but it did not last long.

I have been tempted to reply to the instagram stories where I can see they are driving, but I feel all that will do is get me blocked.

I think most people think they are doing it 'safely' - they understand its dangerous but only when others do it. People think that about a lot of their habits, my partner 'polices' other road users driving habits by ranting to me about it in the car when he witnesses it, and about 30/40% of the things he gives out about he does himself (using his phone is not one of them) - so i'm not sure what can be done to make people realise this.

Advertisement