Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drivers on the phones: its getting scary!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

buffalo wrote: »
    The 1961 RTA covers driving with 'due care and attention', so at the very least someone can commit an offence under that, even if leaving a phone on your speedo showing a video isn't specifically against the law.

That should be okay. If enforcement is too much to hope for, hopefully an ad campaign will remind people that inattentive driving is dangerous, even at a slow speed, if common sense is becoming uncommon.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭raspberrypi67

Right...lol, like thats gonna work...!!!

That should be okay. If enforcement is too much to hope for, hopefully an ad campaign will remind people that inattentive driving is dangerous, even at a slow speed, if common sense is becoming uncommon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Maybe popup ads on the phone.

"It looks like you're driving while on the phone. Did you know that distracted driving is dangerous? Watch this video* for more info"

*You can skip this ad in 5... 4... 3...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Damn it, cdaly_, the next time you make a joke about something be sure you link to the feasibility study. You'll not be warned again!

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Maybe popup ads on the phone.

"It looks like you're driving while on the phone. Did you know that distracted driving is dangerous? Watch this video* for more info"

*You can skip this ad in 5... 4... 3...

Could we make it even more clickbait-ey?
    "You'll never believe how not using their phones while driving made these people millionaires" *insert photo of beautiful person in sports car*

• Advertisement

During the snow i saw people jast as ingaged on their phones,( head down, sure no one else around )quite a skill given the conditions of the roads in celbridge!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,069 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Two in a row passed me last night, one tapping out a whatsapp message, and the second holding the phone in landscape mode against the wheel to watch a YouTube video.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

Was behind a car today. It turned left and just stopped after completing the turn. Not as in pulled in to park, stopped in the lane just after finishing the turn. As I went around i saw the driver had stopped to check the phone. I'm guessing she thought stopping would be the right thing to do if she wanted to check her phone. But in the middle of the road?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Loads pulled into cycle lanes with hazards on to text. Safer than driving but an utter pain in the face.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,638 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Two in a row passed me last night, one tapping out a whatsapp message, and the second holding the phone in landscape mode against the wheel to watch a YouTube video.

Holding the phone!
    So old fashioned, they need one of these!!

https://homeshopping.pk/products/Universal-Car-Steering-Wheel-Mobile-Phone-Holder-Clip-for-iPhone-65S-Galaxy-S6S5-Note-43-HTC-One-M9M8-and-Many-More.html

• Advertisement

Again, just the other day I saw a woman in a small car, she had the phone attached to the windscreen , like you would a sat Nav, 2 O'clock position, scrolling through whatever, unreal, this is the new semi handsfree??!! I need to get a dash cam...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

NIMAN wrote: »

It's sold out!!!! How are they allowed to manufacture stuff like this, surely that product should be made illegal and the use of it too :mad:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Again, just the other day I saw a woman in a small car, she had the phone attached to the windscreen , like you would a sat Nav, 2 O'clock position, scrolling through whatever, unreal, this is the new semi handsfree??!! I need to get a dash cam...

Accidentally deleted my cam footage but guy nipping up the bus lane, on phone, swings out last minute to avoid a bus and swings back in. Completely missed the Garda issuing tickets to people in the bus lane. Alas the Garda was mid ticket issuing and he got away with it. He later skimmed me at a red light as he veered slightly into the bus lane before swinging right to overtake a motorbike.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

It's sold out!!!! How are they allowed to manufacture stuff like this, surely that product should be made illegal and the use of it too :mad:

I would agree. With stuff coming in from China it’s impossible to enforce a ban on sale. The issue is to make it illegat to have it fitted, whether usin it or not. Years ago, it was legal to buy a radar detector but illegal to use it...many that used it claimed they were not using it at the time of alleged offence...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Just saw this on twitter - a must watch video

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Just saw this on twitter - a must watch video

Seen it myself, very well done but it won't change any attitudes. People already know the risks and the dangers, but between the everyone else does it and gets away with it, and the "i know it causes danger for some people, in some situations", I am more aware, I only glance, I only do it at lights, I only do it after checking everything is clear etc. etc.

People = sh1t, myself included, until crackdowns get tougher, nothing will change.

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭SchrodingersCat

To add to this, I commute to work. At a few places on my commute, I have to stop at T Junctions. It is surprising the number of people that I see drive past me that are at their phones as they take the turn. I either see them with the phone to their ear, or else looking up and down to their lap signalling that they are texting. I would put it at least 20% of the cars that go past me. I would imagine that there is a larger proportion of drivers on their phones waiting at the lights at a junction than on a normal road. However, it is still pretty shocking to witness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

CramCycle wrote: »
    Seen it myself, very well done but it won't change any attitudes.

It's a tough watch but I fear you're correct. "It'll never happen to me" attitude. Car crashes are things you see on the news, etc.

To add to this, I commute to work. At a few places on my commute, I have to stop at T Junctions. It is surprising the number of people that I see drive past me that are at their phones as they take the turn. I either see them with the phone to their ear, or else looking up and down to their lap signalling that they are texting. I would put it at least 20% of the cars that go past me. I would imagine that there is a larger proportion of drivers on their phones waiting at the lights at a junction than on a normal road. However, it is still pretty shocking to witness.

Think I post before about a similar junction near me same thing happens whether it be running reds or on phones and on one occasion me and my wee one being half way across and being able to thump a car as it sailed passed, driver on the phone. If anyone had been coming from the other side of the crossing they'd dead simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,069 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

It's crazy, but as far as I can work, this is not explicitly legal - once they don't have it actually in their hand, it isn't against the mobile phone laws afaik.

Is there any chance that the Gardai might reach double figures this year?

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/motors/just-three-drivers-convicted-over-mobile-phone-use-1.3419762

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

The amount of guys I see driving large tractors and trailers phone at head on narrow country roads is mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

The amount of guys I see driving large tractors and trailers phone at head on narrow country roads is mad.

The amount of drivers out around where I live in Dunshaughlin is unbelievable.

One instance when I was walking, a driver was on the phone at traffic lights when they changed to green but no movement from the driver. I was waiting at the lights (on foot) and motioned to the drivers behind that the driver was on the phone and the car behind told me to mind my own business!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,180 ✭✭✭Gavlor

I’m club cyclist so don’t rip in to me but what’s not the deal with the amount of cyclists with earphones in?? Surely as irresponsible and dangerous as idiot drivers on their phones?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,118 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Saw Traffic Cop driving through Kilkenny today, on John Street. He had phone up on steering wheel with both eyes on phone, he was drifting over to my side of road, he corrected in time though.

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭tommythecat

Gavlor wrote: »
    I’m club cyclist so don’t rip in to me but what’s not the deal with the amount of cyclists with earphones in?? Surely as irresponsible and dangerous as idiot drivers on their phones?

How so? Should radios be banned from cars?

4kwp South East facing PV System. 5.3kwh Weco battery. South Dublin City.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

They still hear just as much as motorists.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,180 ✭✭✭Gavlor

ED E wrote: »
    They still hear just as much as motorists.

Yeah but motorists have mirrors to be able to see what’s coming from behind!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Yeah but motorists have mirrors to be able to see what’s coming from behind!

I see some cyclists with mirrors, others are kitted out with necks to overcome the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

rubadub wrote: »
    I see some cyclists with mirrors, others are kitted out with necks to overcome the problem.

Necks are over rated. A bit like Bluetooth headsets!*

*The above only reflects reality for some people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Danjamin1

To be honest I think it depends on what type of earphones & what your listening to. I cycle with standard earbuds in and listen to podcasts when I cycle and I don’t think it impedes my hearing. I wouldn’t listen to music when cycling though as I suspect it might drown out more of the surrounding noise. I’m not overly reliant on my hearing as I make sure to look behind me frequently regardless of whether I have earphones in.

Advertisement