Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slow paced RPGs

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

Bonus points to Dhinor for also losing a limb.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Necro didn't lose any limbs this time. Just the use of them. :P

Oh, and I died. That's a new one. But Seneca/Prof Moriarty lives on to avenge me :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,631 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Fourier wrote: »
    Guys, big step up from D&D. It took far less posts for Necro to lose his limbs, Banjo to be involved in some death defying fall and ye to commit mass genocide by super-explosion.

The avalanche (lava not snow this time round) didn't kill Molly though, so ye need to work on that.

Well I gotta say I'm quite happy about not dying! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭jasonb

Me too... I also gotta say that 'Slow paced RPGs' is becoming increasingly inaccurate! :) As much as I'd like to, I won't be able to guarantee being online if it gets hectic like that.

When the games are in person, is it turn based? Or as chaotic as that? Would I be right in thinking that the misunderstandings that ended up with the planet being destroyed also probably wouldn't have happened in a in-person game?

Oh they happen still!

I'm pulling the breaks for a while now, the situation was pretty unique and most were online, but we'll go back to slow now. I think I'll adopt the same strategy as D&D. Slow, but if we reach a fast paced part, I'll warn so that people can arrange to be available.

Won't be a fast paced bit for a while now.

• Advertisement

jasonb wrote: »
    Me too... I also gotta say that 'Slow paced RPGs' is becoming increasingly inaccurate! :) As much as I'd like to, I won't be able to guarantee being online if it gets hectic like that.

When the games are in person, is it turn based? Or as chaotic as that? Would I be right in thinking that the misunderstandings that ended up with the planet being destroyed also probably wouldn't have happened in a in-person game?

I think it mostly depends on the game. In D&D 5th edition that I've played before turns are worked out based on initiative rolls at the start of combat. Everyone then takes their turns (including the bad guys) whilst fighting. But it's still pretty hectic. And 100% misunderstandings happen.

And Four knows that I can't keep up that sort of pace all the time so don't worry about missing stuff.

I'll be sending people on details on skills and a definitive character sheet. Pter already has his as it was the easiest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

The sheet says i still have The Negotiator. The sheet is law.

Okay, everybody should have their sheet now, I'll post later about skills.

Who's in Werewolf in the coming week?

Pter and Molly I know are.

• Advertisement

Necro too.

Fourier wrote: »
    Who's in Werewolf in the coming week?

Pter and Molly I know are.

I'm only modding, but I'm dead... so :pac::pac::pac:

Can play anyways, don't worry Four

Oh....yeah. #toosoon

Just so everybody understands this.

Basically when I want a roll from now on (didn't want the full details straight away, as the initial mission was mostly player action only) I'll phrase it like this:

Roll Stealth(Dexterity, Difficulty: +4)

What this means is that:
    (a) You roll 2d6
    (b) Then add your rank in the skill (e.g. Stealth 2 means +2 to the roll)
    (c) Then add the modifier of the Characteristic mentioned (e.g. Dexterity 11, add +1).
    (d) Finally add the difficulty number I've listed. +4 in this case.

If the result is 9 or better you succeed. 6 or worse you fail. (this is the main rule)

Worse than 3 is catastrophic (although this may not apply to some rolls, there is no such thing as catastrophically failing to fix a chair to pick a dumb example)

14 or better is amazing (again doesn't always apply)

7 or 8 are special.

If you get 8, you will succeed, but there will be a minor consequence as a result, e.g. you fix the gun but your tools temporarily break.

If you get 7 the choice is yours if you succeed or fail. However, if you choose success I introduce a major complication, e.g you fix the jump drive but cut life support.

One more post....

Static Checks:
    Most of the time in Traveller though you don't roll. Fixing the engines is just something anybody with Engineer can do. You'd only roll if you had to fix it under pressure or the damage was significant or unusual or anything else that takes it outside the routine.

In other words, you don't roll for a routine non-stressful application of your skills.

Combinations:
    In the example above I gave Stealth and Dexterity. That would be for sneaking around, past a guard or something. However you could also have Stealth and Intelligence, for planning the best route to sneak in. So unlike many RPGs there is no fixed combination (e.g. in D&D Stealth is always with Dexterity)

Please see:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057855591

and let me know your thoughts

Who's available for the end of the current thread and pirate attack?

Any day this weekend.

Count me in, anyways.

I should be around all weekend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭jasonb

I should be ok either day, might go missing for an hour here or there if I'm driving...

• Advertisement

I'm here all weekend.

Don't worry folks, I won't take up too much of your time ;)

tenor.gif?itemid=8889771

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Around-ish.

We'll tie up the loose ends tomorrow and then end of thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

So as not to bog down the thread with OOC comments, but regarding the lack of an elaborate explanation :
    Pter wrote: »
    Dhinor grabs whomever is beside him......it's hard to tell who it is with all the blood.

'Give the sword to Verne. Not Evan. Never Evan....'

Dhinor splutters as he struggles to get the words out.
    Banjo wrote: »
    <Evan> removes the pretty bonnet and petticoat he had been wearing as a disguise, blah blah blah the Negotiator, clips on his anti statics blah blah blah

Seemed reasonable that since you couldn't tell who it was and I was dressed like little house on the prairie, that I had explained how I came to have it. Certainly no less reasonable than you being able to snatch it back without a dice roll despite having just received a lethal dose of radiation and losing all the skin on your body.

Also, please please PLEASE don't switch it on till I'm safely out of blast range :D

Banjo wrote: »
    So as not to bog down the thread with OOC comments, but regarding the lack of an elaborate explanation :

Seemed reasonable that since you couldn't tell who it was and I was dressed like little house on the prairie, that I had explained how I came to have it. Certainly no less reasonable than you being able to snatch it back without a dice roll despite having just received a lethal dose of radiation and losing all the skin on your body.

Also, please please PLEASE don't switch it on till I'm safely out of blast range :D

Fair point. Anyway, its back with me now and back in perfect working order.

tenor.gif?itemid=7382559

By the way Four, its not lost on me you are making me increasingly reliant on Evan to live, thus pushing us together. You SOB.

Pter wrote: »
    By the way Four, its not lost on me you are making me increasingly reliant on Evan to live, thus pushing us together. You SOB.

A happy alliance, all brought together by a pirate K'Kree. :pac::pac:

Necrominus wrote: »
    A happy alliance, all brought together by a pirate K'Kree. :pac::pac:

In fairness, a considerable amount of time has passed without Dhinor trying to hurt Evan. Thats a win, right?

• Advertisement

Is it really me who pushed you together or was it written in the stars?

If anything I've tried desperatly to stop it, but some things are too real, even for the DM.

Advertisement