Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accident in creche

Options
  • 13-02-2018 10:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

My just gone three year old wet herself in creche today. When I came to pick her up the creche manager told me that she had an accident within 30 mins before pickup apparently. They did not have any spare clothes for her so they put a pull up on her and put her trousers back on instead of leaving her with no clothes on. I thought that was fine .. I thought it was a minor accident but when I put her in the car I saw that her trousers were wet through down the legs so I took them off he in the car outside creche.. I phoned creche on way home and asked them not to put wet trousers back on her again, just leave her in pull up in future and phone me.. i have a bag packed full of spare clothes for so should not be an issue again. Was it Ok for the creche to put the wet trousers back on her? I cant imagine myself ever in a situation where i would do that but maybe I am over reacting?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Can you be sure she didn't have a second accident on your way out to the car? I.e. were the trousers wet but the pull-up definitely still dry?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Frozen54

Can you be sure she didn't have a second accident on your way out to the car? I.e. were the trousers wet but the pull-up definitely still dry?

no she didnt. pull ups dry. trousers wet

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Ursummupet

Dìd they have the bag of clothes or were they in your car? If they did I'd be browned off too.
    Would I ring to complain, probably not. But that goes on their general track record, if it was a one off, I'd brush it off. Recurring stuff I'd be complaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

It's unusual to put a child back in wet clothes. Very uncomfortable I'd expect.

Perhaps there is a HSE circular or legislation which prohibits the creche from having a child in 'just a pull-up'.

You should clarify the situation with the manager in a non-aggressive way. No need to have a barney.

A bag of spare clothes will solve the problem. Two sets of spares would be grand

Ursummupet wrote: »
    Dìd they have the bag of clothes or were they in your car? If they did I'd be browned off too.
    Would I ring to complain, probably not. But that goes on their general track record, if it was a one off, I'd brush it off. Recurring stuff I'd be complaining.

they didnt have any spare clothes. thats why they put the wet trousers back on her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

Personally having worked in early years services we would have always borrowed from another child, would never put wet clothes on a child!! If they had borrowed a pair of trousers from another child and told you, of course you would have washed and returned asap, meanwhile they could have told the other parent and there's no doubt they would totally understand. In my current role in a special school we have spare clothes for this kind of situation, I can't believe they have no spare kids trousers. Unacceptable. How would they like to be wearing wet trousers!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Can parents leave a set of dry clothes in the creche?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,193 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Surprised they didn't have a spare pair knocking around, the only reacting you should be doing is making sure they have enough clothes. Wet pants never killed anyone.

Cash_Q wrote: »
    Personally having worked in early years services we would have always borrowed from another child, would never put wet clothes on a child!! If they had borrowed a pair of trousers from another child and told you, of course you would have washed and returned asap, meanwhile they could have told the other parent and there's no doubt they would totally understand. In my current role in a special school we have spare clothes for this kind of situation, I can't believe they have no spare kids trousers. Unacceptable. How would they like to be wearing wet trousers!

thats what i thought!.. they are generally good though so hopefully once off

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

It's pretty common to leave Spare clothing in crèche and preschools ,
    It's the parents are responsible for making sure they have spares ,
    Depending on how many kids are in the service chances are they wouldn't have enough spare clothing for every child

• Advertisement

yes and i have now learned my lesson!

Frozen54 wrote: »
    they didnt have any spare clothes. thats why they put the wet trousers back on her.

They made a call based on circumstances. If you had turned up with your daughter running around in pull ups maybe the trousers were dry enough to put on.... who knows?
    Has happened to mine where the her spares which I take in with her have run out, but they've provided her with leftover or donated clothes so shes always been dry.
    Would have thought most creches would have those reserve clothes...

Surprised they didn't have a spare pair knocking around, the only reacting you should be doing is making sure they have enough clothes. Wet pants never killed anyone.

yes bag ready for tomor

They made a call based on circumstances. If you had turned up with your daughter running around in pull ups maybe the trousers were dry enough to put on.... who knows?
    Has happened to mine where the her spares which I take in with her have run out, but they've provided her with leftover or donated clothes so shes always been dry.
    Would have thought most creches would have those reserve clothes...

yeah i just would not have put wet trousers back on and they were wet.. which makes me wonder am i over reacting.. i thought childcare workers were trained .. maybe this is in their guidelines.. valid point above about hse rules and pull ups.. anyhow i will let it go! first time anything like this happened in last 2.5 yrs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

I think you are over reacting.
    I feel sorry for creche owners these days.
    Its hard fir them to get it rightm
    Another parent would have complained If they had left the child in pull ups alone.

Wesser wrote: »
    I think you are over reacting.
    I feel sorry for creche owners these days.
    Its hard fir them to get it rightm
    Another parent would have complained If they had left the child in pull ups alone.

a simple call from them would have resolved

How would it? It still wouldn't have magicked up a spare pair before you got there to collect her.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Packing a change of clothes would have prevented.

I don't agree with the child being put in wet clothes either though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

But it happened 30 mins before pickup? How would a phone call have changed anything? They probably assumed that you'd be on your way to collect her and made a judgement call based on that. If it happened earlier in the day they may have phoned you and asked you to bring a fresh pair.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,193 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

The crèche always keep ours there, 3 full changes of clothes, Ask them to keep them.

• Advertisement

How would it? It still wouldn't have magicked up a spare pair before you got there to collect her.

it would have resolved any worry of me complaining about leaving her in pull ups vs wet trousers.

thanks for all the replies :-)

The crèche always keep ours there, 3 full changes of clothes, Ask them to keep them.

We send ours in every day in a rucksack. Two spare sets and nothing goes missing. Tbh OP you can't be complaining too much if you never provided them with spares.
    Was it a call out putting your daughter in wet trousers? Which is very wrong btw.

We send ours in every day in a rucksack. Two spare sets and nothing goes missing. Tbh OP you can't be complaining too much if you never provided them with spares.
    Was it a call out putting your daughter in wet trousers? Which is very wrong btw.

yes my bad.. they sent all spares home at christmas hols and i forgot to bring back the bag.. it is topped up for tomor..

it would have resolved any worry of me complaining about leaving her in pull ups vs wet trousers.

Yeah but it wouldn't exactly look great in the eyes of the other parents collecting their kids, to see a little girl running around the place with no pants on.

Yeah but it wouldn't exactly look great in the eyes of the other parents collecting their kids, to see a little girl running around the place with no pants on.

i am more concerned about my daughter wearing trousers wet through with urine than what other parents think.. but yes i see maybe that is why they did it... omg! i need to stop thinking about this.. thanks for reply!

i am more concerned about my daughter wearing trousers wet through with urine than what other parents think.. but yes i see maybe that is why they did it... omg! i need to stop thinking about this.. thanks for reply!

Relax. These things happen. Your daughters not wrecking her head over it. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭mockingjay

It was a very unfortunate incident Frozen54, but I think you are right, you need to stop thinking about it. The trousers shouldn't have been put back on her wet, you have already phoned the creche to say this, you hadn't left a spare pair in her bag, your own child had the accident - she wasn't sitting in another child's urine - closing time at the creche is a busy time, whoever dealt with the issue did what they thought was best at the time - getting into it further will only create tension and I'm sure you don't want that at the beginning and end of the day when you're happy to see your child. If you are happy with all other aspects of her care let it be - accidents happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,917 ✭✭✭appledrop

I'm surprised by this + don't think it is ok. In my son's creche each child has a little shelf + all have spare clothes that we supply. I know its up to you to supply the clothes but they would notice if no spare clothes given in since Christmas. They would never put them back in wet clothes + would borrow another child if they have to. This happens very rarely but child's needs come first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

I think it would be unusual to do this.

When we had kids in creche, if needed they would borrow clothes from another childs spares ...or use some from lost property.

Advertisement