Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pre-Letting expenses on Vacant properties

Options
  • 13-02-2018 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭

97(A) mentions "certain" pre-letting expenses are allowed. Is there any clarity on what expenses they are ?
    Section 97A of the Taxes Consolidation Act 1997 inserted by the Finance Act 2017 provides that expenses incurred on a vacant residential premises prior to it being first let after a period of non-occupancy are authorised as a deduction against rental income from that premises.

I'm certain the house I have just done up over the last 8 months which was just let, qualifies (last lived in Jan 2015), but I can't see what is allowable.

I have sent off my SEAI forms, for the insulation, plumbing etc.
    My builder and I have also gone through the HRI process.
    This extra 5k would be a nice bonus, but Revenue appear to be their usual opaqueness on the subject.

Any advice would be great, thanks.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

I suppose if revenue is vague, just claim for everything and see what sticks.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭VonBeanie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

That's a fair point, I just have a natural dislike of the thought of paying money back to the Revenue !

VonBeanie wrote: »

Thanks, I had seen that but as was mentioned earlier, it is incredibly vague. I've totted up a fair chunk of the non SEAI & non HRI receipts and I'm up to over 8k.

I have stuff like

€4k on beds, wardrobes, lockers etc
    €1,350 on blinds
    €1k on Bath panels/Shower doors etc
    €250 on Bath re-enamaling

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭davindub

Mumha wrote: »
    Thanks, I had seen that but as was mentioned earlier, it is incredibly vague. I've totted up a fair chunk of the non SEAI & non HRI receipts and I'm up to over 8k.

I have stuff like

€4k on beds, wardrobes, lockers etc
    €1,350 on blinds
    €1k on Bath panels/Shower doors etc
    €250 on Bath re-enamaling

Most of those are capital items, you claim capital allowances over 8 years while they are used in the letting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

davindub wrote: »
    Most of those are capital items, you claim capital allowances over 8 years while they are used in the letting.

This is true. OP, if you don't know what you can claim you might be better off getting a tax accountant involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭nompere

Revenue won't routinely review a claim - so if you claim expenses that aren't allowable it will not come up until you get selected for audit. At that point it's not just repaying tax, it's interest and penalties as well.

davindub wrote: »

But they were incurred before the first ever letting, and they were not part of a HRI & seai grant ? I've made an appointment to talk this through with an accountant, so I get anything definitive, I will report back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭davindub

Mumha wrote: »
    But they were incurred before the first ever letting, and they were not part of a HRI & seai grant ? I've made an appointment to talk this through with an accountant, so I get anything definitive, I will report back.

They are still not expenses unfortunately.

Even without the preletting term, you can claim capital allowances on all your capital expenditure when you start letting the property.

But yes talk to the chartered tax advisor, good idea to do this in any case.

Advertisement